XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Quickjack is handy to have

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 06:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts
Default Quickjack is handy to have

Costco offers the Quickjack at a reasonable price in Canada. I had one shipped to my door and set it up today. It only took an hour to completely set it up after viewing a few videos on YouTube. It raises the car to about 20 inches which makes working under comfortable. I used jack stands to do my transmission fluid change by jacking up all 4 corners--it was a PITA

. This is much better. It will come in handy for detailing the lower part of the car, oil changes through the oil pan plug, brake fluid flushing, brake jobs, etc.

I purchased the 7000SLX which fits nicely along the frame rail. Others on the form have commented the SLX is too short for the XK and bought the Ext version which is 6 inches longer. Anywhere between the distance between the lift points and recommended jack stand points can be used to place the lift blocks of the Quickjack.

The following 7 users liked this post by DGL:
Cee Jay (02-15-2020), George05 (02-16-2020), jackra_1 (02-15-2020), jazzyjags (02-17-2020), mosesbotbol (02-17-2020), sklimii (02-25-2020), XJ8JR (02-18-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I may well be persuaded now.

I could have used it for the work I am doing now!

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-17-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I have been interested in one of these for some time now. but wonder how difficult is it move and store? As I find age catching up with me I'm concerned about conveniences that might exceed my physical ability later on.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
I have been interested in one of these for some time now. but wonder how difficult is it move and store? As I find age catching up with me I'm concerned about conveniences that might exceed my physical ability later on.
Definitely Catch 22!
When young and fit (and slim!) it's no hassle jacking up the car and squirming under it and you may not be able to afford one of these anyway.
It's when you get old and decrepit and maybe a tad overweight that it starts to become hard work working on and especially under the car, so that's when one of these sounds tempting.
But by then you may be too feeble and decrepit to pick it up and pack it away, and you may have accumulated so much crud in your garage there is nowhere to store it anyway.
I know both of those apply to me now, especially the "too much crud in the garage" bit.
Also no-one in Oz sells this and I would hate to think of the shipping cost if I bought one from OS!

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
kj07xk (02-16-2020), MarkyUK (02-29-2020), pwpacp (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Described me to a T! lol

Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I seriously considered getting one of those, but then I realized/remembered that I DETEST laying on my back under a vehicle (maybe because one fell on me when I was 18?? The 9"x16"x24" wood block that I rested 20-foot 4"x12" beams on shattered, and I was stuck under one of the 20-footers, with the car on top of that. The beam landed on what was left of the block, which was on top of my Craftsman Socket Set. I was stuck very tight, EMS, Fire and Cops showed up. Broke my right wrist, which was vertical under the tranny pan when it fell. Snapped that sucker into pieces. My head was stuck flat, staring directly at my hanging hand for about 30 minutes or so until a LOT of people finally got me out) so I will not settle for less than a two-post lift that I can walk under.
Sorry about the long history.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
George05 (02-16-2020), kj07xk (02-16-2020), ralphwg (02-17-2020), Reverend Sam (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I seriously considered getting one of those, but then I realized/remembered that I DETEST laying on my back under a vehicle (maybe because one fell on me when I was 18?? The 9"x16"x24" wood block that I rested 20-foot 4"x12" beams on shattered, and I was stuck under one of the 20-footers, with the car on top of that. The beam landed on what was left of the block, which was on top of my Craftsman Socket Set. I was stuck very tight, EMS, Fire and Cops showed up. Broke my right wrist, which was vertical under the tranny pan when it fell. Snapped that sucker into pieces. My head was stuck flat, staring directly at my hanging hand for about 30 minutes or so until a LOT of people finally got me out) so I will not settle for less than a two-post lift that I can walk under.
Wow, that must have been terrifying. You're lucky you got out of it with only a broken wrist. Life is short. Let us enjoy our beautiful cars while we can.

The jack unit is build extremely good with heavy Gage steel. It has a locking feature to secure it it place. Also, even if the locks are not engaged the hydraulic system keeps the unit from collapsing. You need to press the "down" button for the unit to slowly go down. I have no problem going under the car with this unit. It is much safer than jack stands. Jack stands can also be used with the unit. I got the SLX unit and not the EXT (6" longer) because jack stands can be placed on the ends. I would only use the jack stands if I wanted to remove the jack unit with the car up. So far I'm happy with the unit.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I have a scissor lift which I'm happy with and is about the same price but I can lift my car almost 1m from the ground.
Not mobile but who wants/needs to move it around?:-)

I made the small ramps so driving over the lift is smoother.:-)

The following 5 users liked this post by peterv8:
George05 (02-16-2020), kj07xk (02-16-2020), mosesbotbol (02-17-2020), Reverend Sam (02-16-2020), Sean W (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Not easy. Sure, there are videos of guys picking them up and hanging them on the wall. Sorry, I don’t bench press locomotives. A couple of days after delivery, my local UPS driver asked “What the hell was in those boxes?”.
And they’re big, takes a lot of space. My only choice, if I had kept the 5000-SLX I bought, would be to slide them together and park over them.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

If they can be slid together such that driving over them is easily it might be a good alternative to my floor jack. Perhaps others who have one of these units can give testimony on how they handle them as well.

Cee Jay, that had to have been traumatizing for you! Thankfully you are still with us.
Not to hijack the thread but, I once had a millwright working for me who thought he was 10' tall and bullet proof, as a young man might. He had extensive safety training at work and should have been aware of best safety practices. One night at home he jacked his car up, crawled under it, and died when the jack failed. A painful death that could have been avoided.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts
Default !~

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
If they can be slid together such that driving over them is easily it might be a good alternative to my floor jack. Perhaps others who have one of these units can give testimony on how they handle them as well.

Cee Jay, that had to have been traumatizing for you! Thankfully you are still with us.
Not to hijack the thread but, I once had a millwright working for me who thought he was 10' tall and bullet proof, as a young man might. He had extensive safety training at work and should have been aware of best safety practices. One night at home he jacked his car up, crawled under it, and died when the jack failed. A painful death that could have been avoided.
A couple of cautionary tales for sure! When I was younger we had no problem propping a car up any way we could country-style, I am fortunate that our redneck repairs never resulted in an accident.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
I have a scissor lift which I'm happy with and is about the same price but I can lift my car almost 1m from the ground.
Not mobile but who wants/needs to move it around?:-)

I made the small ramps so driving over the lift is smoother.:-)

Is that the MR6K-38? They are over double the quickjack. If I were going to spend close to $3,000 on a lift I would buy a 2 post or 4 post. I paid $1,500CDN for the 7000SLX at costco which is $1,100US. The MR6K-38 is $2,300US plus shipping. I would prefer the MR6K-38, but I bought the quickjack because it fits my needs at a reasonable price and is easier to move. If you can find a better deal for $1,100US please post it. I'm sure other members would be interested in it. I have no loyalty to brand, only getting the most most out of my money to fit my needs. Where did you get your lift for the same price?

Last edited by DGL; 02-16-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I have the MRK638. I watched a video on the quick jack and thought it would be a royal PIA to set up each and every time you use it. You can just bolt Peter's lift to the floor and drive over it if you don't have a stall. Quick Jack it too much work (FOR ME) and takes up too much precious garage space (FOR ME).
There are problems with 4 post lifts, the wheels stay on place and don't hang for suspension/ tire/ break work.
There are problems with 2 post lifts in that it's a royal pain to get in and out of the car without dinging the door. Also there's one post that will be in the way of the other car assuming you have a 2 car garage.
Then there's height to consider. The full rise lifts like 2 post and 4 post are useless in a typical garage as you will hit the ceiling or garage door opener in short order.

I think mine was $2k drop shipped and I paid another $150 to have it brought to my garage.

My lift can be moved anywhere in the garage (it comes with casters) but I bolted it to the floor. When I had it in my townhome, I just parked over it. Now I have it in a third stall which clears the garage door rails and I don't have a door opener in that stall. Works for me and the spend was well worth it. It also easily lifts my wife's SRX. Don't know there you'd get one for $1k unless it was used though.

DGL (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

On the upside, if you have an SUV, the quick kick is "portable" and would come in handy for those who need one at the track or to help someone whose car won't move. Also, money is a consideration and they are cheaper then other lifts.

DGL (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Sean W
I have the MRK638. I watched a video on the quick jack and thought it would be a royal PIA to set up each and every time you use it. You can just bolt Peter's lift to the floor and drive over it if you don't have a stall. Quick Jack it too much work (FOR ME) and takes up too much precious garage space (FOR ME).
There are problems with 4 post lifts, the wheels stay on place and don't hang for suspension/ tire/ break work.
There are problems with 2 post lifts in that it's a royal pain to get in and out of the car without dinging the door. Also there's one post that will be in the way of the other car assuming you have a 2 car garage.
Then there's height to consider. The full rise lifts like 2 post and 4 post are useless in a typical garage as you will hit the ceiling or garage door opener in short order.

I think mine was $2k drop shipped and I paid another $150 to have it brought to my garage.

My lift can be moved anywhere in the garage (it comes with casters) but I bolted it to the floor. When I had it in my townhome, I just parked over it. Now I have it in a third stall which clears the garage door rails and I don't have a door opener in that stall. Works for me and the spend was well worth it. It also easily lifts my wife's SRX. Don't know there you'd get one for $1k unless it was used though.
I would prefer the MRK638 for the extra lift height. The quickjack is much more economical (half the price of the MRK638). The quickjack is rated for 7000lbs and the MRK638 is rated for 6000lbs. The quickjacks can be stored on the floor and moved to the center with the supplied hand tool that attaches to the the rail. This way you can drive over them and only move them out when needed. The MRK638 is not easily accessible in Canada as it is in the US (with free shipping). With taxes in Canada the 7000SLX cost me $1,700CDN delivered to my door. The MRK638 would cost me $3,500CDN plus.

Last edited by DGL; 02-16-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I just did a quick search and found this one!

Scissor lift

Strange you don't have lower prices, here is one for sale in Sweden.

Scissor lift 2

Last edited by peterv8; 02-16-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
I just did a quick search and found this one!

Scissor lift

Strange you don't have lower prices, here is one for sale in Sweden.

Scissor lift 2

No, it's not strange. These are ridiculous examples. The first one is a cheap Chinese copy. You'll trust your life under the first one? The second one is in Sweden and cost $2,500CDN in Sweden. The one in Sweden also has a 230 volt connection (good luck with that in North America). Good luck shipping either one, paying the duties and getting warranty service. Either the quickjack or MRK638 are much better choices for North America; however, the Sweden one looks very well made for the price. For Europe the Sweden one is impressive.

Last edited by DGL; 02-16-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I had never heard of QuickJack, so I googled it and found this video.

I'm in love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The following 3 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
Cee Jay (02-16-2020), DGL (02-17-2020), sklimii (02-25-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:22 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I had never heard of QuickJack, so I googled it and found this video.

I'm in love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6NZ2ELHXK8
I looked, but never found her in the box .

guy (03-01-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Coctco.ca had the Quickjack on sale this week only, $200 off. I took screen shots, ordered a new one, and applied for a price adjustment through Costco price protection for the first one I purchased at their retail price. If I don't get the price adjustment I'll let the new order ride and when I receive it I'll return the first ordered Quickjack I purchased at their retail, non-sale price, back. Costco sale price in Canada was $1,299CDN ($1,499-200). That's about $970USD for a 7000SLX delivered to your door. If you can get this sub $1,000 you better run with it--nothing comes close to this deal.

Quick Reply: Quickjack is handy to have