XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Race Deck garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

To expand on VegasFPace's post above, areas where it gets wet and snowy will also cause some 'wet mop stink' situations where the water will stand and stagnate as it can't be easily removed, and dries much slower than without tiles.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:16 PM
Received 156 Likes on 63 Posts

Put my Racedeck down almost 10 years ago. Many observations similar to @VegasFPace except I’ve stopped worrying about little gouges caused by jackstands etc. - you simply can’t see any of these from 5ft away. Still looks great and I haven’t once properly cleaned it in 10 years! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

A huge advantage not yet mentioned is that you don’t need to clean out your garage completely to lay it down and you don’t need to do it all in one go. Basically I moved all the junk from one side of my garage to the other, laid down some of the Racedeck, then moved the junk over to the part that was completed and laid down the rest. Can’t do that with epoxy! Did the Racedeck myself in about 3 days working just a couple of hours a day, if that.

The following 3 users liked this post by ram_g:
BagelConsultant (03-31-2023), McJag222 (03-30-2023), tberg (05-04-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts

Classic Nitro trainer on the ceiling there!

Old 03-30-2023, 10:55 PM
Received 156 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasFPace
Classic Nitro trainer on the ceiling there!
haha good eye!

Old 05-04-2023, 04:24 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I recently did a Race Deck garage floor for a customer of mine whose home I extensively remodeled a couple of years ago. It was a large three car garage (approximately 700 sf), and including taking all of the stuff out of the garage (all the stuff in the picture as well as over 50 large concrete paver chunks), laying the floor, and replacing everything exactly as it was prior to starting garage flooring laveen, it took two guys about 6-7 hours. This picture was taken just after we finished but before I had a chance to mop it clean. No surface preparation needed, just good planning so that you know how much to order of each color and so that you have a "road map" to follow.

It came out better than I expected, and they were thrilled.
Several different tile patterns and colors but they all are 12"X12" tiles that snap together. At the entrance to each garage are transition tiles that reduce the 1/2" height of the tiles to almost flat. Easy system to use. We used three colors, charcoal, silver, and red in the diamond pattern.
I recently found out about GJ searching for garage flooring. Im about to redo my garage and im looking to put a floor in. It’s a 2 car garage. I was thinking about DIY epoxy but seen some people say it will peel up in time. I probably won’t pay to have a professional do it. I was looking at the RaceDeck. What do you guys think? I mostly work on motorcycles in the garage. But probably will Jack up a car in there also. How do they hold up with oil spills sealing through the seams?

Old 05-04-2023, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

I've mentioned this in previous replies, I ave both race deck (approx. 500 sq.ft.) and a professionally coated epoxy floor (approx. 425 sq.ft.) Each has its own attributes. If you have a situation, wherein, you pull your vehicles straight in and back straight out, race deck will be fine. If you have to turn wheels (cars/trucks) and maneuver, it tends to drag or more move the tiles causing all sorts of havoc.
What happens you spill garage type fluids on it? Nothing really, except, it'll seep between the cracks or spaces and remain there for eternity. If water, it'll dry out eventually. You can jack up your vehicles on it, yeah, depending on "concentrated" weight it may or maynot leave an impression (dent).
My professionally installed coating, is impervious to any fluids I've spilled on it since 2014. I work in my garage, it's had its share of tools falling on it too. I've driven over it numerous times, turned wheels etc., not one blemish. A professionally installed coated floor is prepped by initial cleaning, concrete sanding/etching, vacuumed, etc, before any resins are floated on it. Mine, has a 15 year guarantee, I'm approaching that time and feel comfortable it'll "blow thru" this time period without a chip, crack, or peel. Also, if properly planned, the installers will coat the base boards as well. This allows one to "hose" the floor "wall to wall" without concerns. No regrets!

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider48:
ralphwg (05-04-2023), tberg (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Epoxy flooring tends to peel. Polyaspartic flooring is a bit stickier and less prone to chipping and peeling. It's also more tolerant of things being dropped on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
ralphwg (05-04-2023), tberg (05-04-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:56 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I recently did a Race Deck garage floor for a customer of mine whose home I extensively remodeled a couple of years ago. It was a large three car garage (approximately 700 sf), and including taking all of the stuff out of the garage (all the stuff in the picture as well as over 50 large concrete paver chunks), laying the floor, and replacing everything exactly as it was prior to starting, it took two guys about 6-7 hours. This picture was taken just after we finished but before I had a chance to mop it clean. No surface preparation needed, just good planning so that you know how much to order of each color and so that you have a "road map" to follow.

It came out better than I expected, and they were thrilled.
Several different tile patterns and colors but they all are 12"X12" tiles that snap together. At the entrance to each garage are transition tiles that reduce the 1/2" height of the tiles to almost flat. Easy system to use. We used three colors, charcoal, silver, and red in the diamond pattern.
Hello. I want to purchase about 1000 sqf of racedeck flooring. Does anyone have any experience using the stuff? pros cons? Any discount codes available? Thanks

Old 05-31-2023, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

yovenim,
When I purchased it for my customer several years ago, I simply called them, and they were more than friendly and helpful. They immediately sent out a box with samples of color and qualities and responded very quickly. Ask them if they have any discounted product available, you might be surprised. Very easy to install. Highly recommend doing a scale model drawing with every square marked especially if using more than one color. It will make your life a lot easier on the installation.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

OP, I have posted ,my experience with Race deck tiles here a couple of times. Also, have experience with the new epoxy type coverings. Race deck tiles are very easy to install and will survive most "pretty" garages. However, if you have a "working" garage situation, it may not be for you.
1. They will "move" if you need to twist and turn your steering in maneuvering in the garage space
2. In a "working" garage there will be spillages of all manner of fluids. These fluids will seep between the spaces in the tiles.
Just keep these two of my life experiences in mind. My choice is to have the floor "professionally" coated with the new super epoxies available. I did this in 2014. They crew prepared my floor and coated it in one day. By evening, after the crew left, I was able to walk on it. The next day, I could add my vehicles. The total cost for 500 sq. ft. in 2014 was $2200. I keep the Race deck in areas wherein my vehicles are driven "straight in and out" and considered a "non-work" area. Just my 4 cents.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-01-2023)