XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rats! I mean LITERALLY rats!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Are there any storage facilites near your residence that you would consider parking the car in?

Something like a Public Storage name facility. I understand California cities are loaded with storage units. Usually these storage units are gated, secured and very hard for outsiders to gain access to the units.

I think by the time you consider portable shelters, car covers etc, the cost effectiveness of a storage unit would be much better. The car would be protected from all outside elements.

The following users liked this post:
Skeeter (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I live so remotely from any garage facility that it'd be a MAJOR PITA to get to the car. I drive it infrequently enough just having to deal with putting the cover on the car and making sure she's clean enough to cover without damaging the paint... Adding a 30 minute drive to an enclosed garage facility before driving it anywhere and I'd be putting even less miles on it.

I admit is is definitely an option on the table though. I will start looking. Ideally Id find someone up on my hill with a pre-code enclosed garage. They are now prevented due to fire codes, and all you can build is an open car platform, but there are some places with garages. Maybe an old timer with a beat up car would be OK renting me the space for enough $.... Time to start asking around!

Thanks,

Skeeter

Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skeeter, I've read through this entire thread with great interest. We're practically neighbors--I'm in Walnut Creek--and I've been a licensed contractor for over thirty years. My opinion regarding building a garage: hire an attorney and an engineer. If you are willing to install a sprinkler system in the garage maybe, just maybe you could get the variance. Berkeley is tough and getting more so, but I understand their position. Btw, $125k for a carport? Wow.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell rat pellets at walmart that i use to kill them outside in the ivy and glue strips that when they step in it it will rip their legs off and die but for larger rats best is to put 5 boxes every 4 days in your ivy. After 1 month no more rats. When the pellets are not eaten you have no more rats. I caught 45 at my home till i got it under control.i like the glue traps for the babies rats.