XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rattling convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Rattling convertible top

I've read in this X150 forum of rattles from dash, suspension and exhaust. But I have a different rattle, from behind left and only when top is up, so I assume it's from the top scaffolding. Has anybody else? And does anyone know how to maybe get to the rods and connections etc without tearing the top apart?

Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Resurrecting this thread because I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a rattling convertible top. @No Quarter Any chance your rattle was something like the video in the link below? Mine is on the passenger side in the corner of the top behind the back seat. It was minor at first but it has been rattling more loudly lately and it's to the point where it is diminishing my enjoyment of the ride when the top is up. Anyone have some ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I know the video isn't the best but I think it gets the point across. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

rattling convertible top

Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I've not had or noticed any noise in mine but you might try putting the top partically down and investigating the suspected are then. The top and headliner material will be loose and movable then. I'd look for signs of worn/rubbing parts. Also, there are plastic snap together strips around the rear window that can become sperated and may be making the noise. They are easy to squeeze back together but the top needs to be partically down for that as well.
Hope that gives some ideas.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
Resurrecting this thread because I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a rattling convertible top. @No Quarter Any chance your rattle was something like the video in the link below? Mine is on the passenger side in the corner of the top behind the back seat. It was minor at first but it has been rattling more loudly lately and it's to the point where it is diminishing my enjoyment of the ride when the top is up. Anyone have some ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I know the video isn't the best but I think it gets the point across. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

rattling convertible top
Looking at your video it seems to me that the tonneau cover is not latched down on that side. Looks like to large of a gap where the cover closes down to the body.