XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

I do not believe Jaguar have a 'dilemma' when it comes to engines. The AJ engine series is what put them into the modern era and I believe they are already well along with supercharging smaller engines to produce sufficient power. Camshafts are probably the next thing to disappear from internal combustion engines as there are more efficient, lighter methods for inlet and exhaust gases to move in and out of the engine.

Even Aston Martin are going to move in a different direction with their new models.

By the way, it was not uncommon for the older F1 V12s to make 18 000 rpm or more. They were somewhat limited by valve speed.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
I do not believe Jaguar have a 'dilemma' when it comes to engines. The AJ engine series is what put them into the modern era and I believe they are already well along with supercharging smaller engines to produce sufficient power. Camshafts are probably the next thing to disappear from internal combustion engines as there are more efficient, lighter methods for inlet and exhaust gases to move in and out of the engine.

Even Aston Martin are going to move in a different direction with their new models.

By the way, it was not uncommon for the older F1 V12s to make 18 000 rpm or more. They were somewhat limited by valve speed.
Or it could go the other way on luxury high perf cars- we could have a slave (coffee shop millennial) strapped to the hood spitting high octane into the intake.

Aston Martin no longer has any good technical R&D. Ford will do what they did with Jaguar, nothing, use it to make their Taurus have the same front end.

A v12 would allow Jag to be at par with Several of its supercar competitors now. Also allow for Armored Range Rover.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
...Aston Martin no longer has any good technical R&D. Ford will do what they did with Jaguar, nothing, use it to make their Taurus have the same front end...
Ford have not owned Aston Martin since 2007, so I am not sure what the Taurus has to do with Aston Martin or its styling cues.

Moving forward, it appears Aston Martin are using Mercedes-AMG engines and electrical systems in their upcoming models as Daimler AG now own five percent of Aston Martin.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

I wish some would bring the BRM V16 back!! It makes more sense now than ever.

1.5 litre engine
600HP

pistons the size of lawnmower engine- insane fast revs, low center of gravity, near perfect response curve. Naturally balanced. What a sound. With todays design of direct injection, reverse cooling, micro turbos, variable cam, you could even do an insane version with 1000hp easy from the same 1.5l engine. Even back then you would get 12,000 rpm.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Ford have not owned Aston Martin since 2007, so I am not sure what the Taurus has to do with Aston Martin or its styling cues.

Moving forward, it appears Aston Martin are using Mercedes-AMG engines and electrical systems in their upcoming models as Daimler AG now own five percent of Aston Martin.
A few years ago ford came out with their Fusion model. The first time and every time I see one the front end reminds me of an AM. Anyone who knows the AM front end can easily see the resemblance.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
I believe that is the H16.

Rules went from 1.5L to 3.0L, BRM stuck two 1.5L engines together that used gears to connect the crankshafts in response...

my F1 knowledge is a little fuzzy though.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Yes demonic power, all of which that came at once. Then again whats so different than the F1 turbo of Senna's day.

You owe me for this. I will ask for the favor back someday.

After a particularly trying time with reliability problems during a 1952 race at Ulster, Fangio was asked if he would ever drive the BRM again. He replied; "I will. I consider it to be, basically, the best Formula One car ever made. All it needs is improvement in certain details. No car has ever given me such a thrill to drive, or a greater sense of absolute mastery. I will stand by it".Unfortunately for both Fangio and BRM, the following day, tired after an overnight drive from Folkingham across Europe to Monza for a race, he crashed while driving for Maserati, breaking his neck, and retired from racing to recover until early 1953.

So note, he said that at the end of the career and not beginning.
Interesting, I guess he was just the better driver when it came to making that car go.

They were never able to sort a high RPM fuel delivery problem, the engine never got to really wind itself out either, it had more it could of done if it weren't for the mass of vendors putting it together making changes/fixes difficult to implement.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
A few years ago ford came out with their Fusion model. The first time and every time I see one the front end reminds me of an AM. Anyone who knows the AM front end can easily see the resemblance.
I believe the Fusion you describe is from MY2013 forward. Perhaps there is a somewhat vague resemblance to Aston Martin, but the comment made was concerning the Taurus, which to me, looks nothing like anything other than a product of Dearborn.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I believe that is the H16.

Rules went from 1.5L to 3.0L, BRM stuck two 1.5L engines together that used gears to connect the crankshafts in response...

my F1 knowledge is a little fuzzy though.
The 'H' design was heavy and complex with a high centre of gravity and some mechanical power loss due to the gear mechanism between the crankshafts. The added weight and high centre of gravity in turn affected the handling making the cars slower through the corners.

Jim Clark may be the only one to ever win a Formula 1 race with this engine, if memory serves...

Old 03-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Ford kept a stake in Aston Martin, not too many people know that.

Sorry I am not very familiar with ford names, yes it was fusion.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
They were never able to sort a high RPM fuel delivery problem, the engine never got to really wind itself out either, it had more it could of done if it weren't for the mass of vendors putting it together making changes/fixes difficult to implement.
Its most important virtues were lightning quick wake and balance. It walks all over the boxer design because you have best of both worlds.

This conversation came up when the smoothness of a Jag V12 was mentioned. There is nothing more balanced than a V16. I believe not even the boxers.

An over-square small piston engine is the only thing that can deliver motorbike like rise in rpm and have a very extended rpm range. Many wealthy eccentrics have tried to bring back the virtue of a over-square balanced engine car design. One even bolted 2 inline6 from Kawasaki bikes. Sabrro 12.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Gentlemen behold the most memorable sound from an engine ever. Some background, this is a recording made by Nick Mason who owned the car and has released a soundtrack of various cars, its both miked from the pit and inside the engine. You need a good stereo to really appreciate this. If you are in the Chicago area next month drop me a line, you will get a religious experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
kj07xk (03-15-2016), SickRob (04-09-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 PM

Is this the BRM 15 from the early 1950s? Did it ever race successfully and win?

I am not very familiar with BRM and their chassis/engine designations from that era.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 PM

...An over-square small piston engine is the only thing that can deliver motorbike like rise in rpm and have a very extended rpm range...
Indeed, however, engines such as this have little torque despite the 'motorbike rise in rpm'. As you hopefully know, the higher the rpm, the less potential torque the engine produces.

Interesting. Have you designed such an engine with an 'over square' piston to connecting rod ratio with increased torque output?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If you are in the Chicago area next month drop me a line, you will get a religious experience.
Now you've got me curious as to what's coming to Chicagoland next month?!?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Gentlemen behold the most memorable sound from an engine ever. Some background, this is a recording made by Nick Mason who owned the car and has released a soundtrack of various cars, its both miked from the pit and inside the engine. You need a good stereo to really appreciate this. If you are in the Chicago area next month drop me a line, you will get a religious experience.
**NEW** BRM V16 Sound - YouTube
its a badass sound

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-13-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, however, engines such as this have little torque despite the 'motorbike rise in rpm'. As you hopefully know, the higher the rpm, the less potential torque the engine produces.

Interesting. Have you designed such an engine with an 'over square' piston to connecting rod ratio with increased torque output?
You are spot on, torque is the challenge, but thats where this design had the potential to overcome than problem and MORE- its offsetting the lack of torque from the stroke with torque gained by not having negative torsional forces on the crankshaft. Same as a v12 vs v8. Its actually a square engine, but by having very small parts it accomplishes the same thing as on over-square with lack of friction and weakness.

No I have not designed diddly. Just a hobbyist in that world.

About your other question, here is more info on BRM 8W - What? - BRM Type 15

Another huge advantage of having a very small perfectly balanced engine, you dont need a muffler.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
We've had the XJS V12 in our family. Actually that particular car was previously owned by the drummer of Extreme. The V12 Jag's are actually quite popular in my locale and often for sale. Totally different V12 though. The Jaguar engine is smoothing idling engine of it's day and quiet like a ninja. The Aston V12 is like an IMSA race car starting up.
its cool, i find out my rapide may be an AML car used for shows and at Nurburgring test facility, its a rare model used to attract sales and they are seen as treasures, selected on many cars. its good for me.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
its a badass sound
Thats why your v12 sounds good, its more balanced.
This is my understanding. Imagine if you have 8 people farting, but they can only fart in groups of 3, basically you will have one group that will always be a member short. With 12 people you can have 4 perfect groups of 3- its a symphony. But a v16, even the pauses in-between are removed, so its a continuous glorious sound.

jagxk2008 (03-14-2016), Tervuren (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Now you've got me curious as to what's coming to Chicagoland next month?!?
Pride rally, I will be in a Miata blasting that BRM soundtrack through the miata car radio. Please come there will be lots of photo-ops.

Just kidding, a trade show, can divulge more in a PM.

jagxk2008 (03-14-2016), kj07xk (03-15-2016)

Quick Reply: The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today