XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
...I would do a through cleaning anyway, clean throttle body, clean the fuel system with Techron. You should use it as preventative maintenance anyway. Its safe and effective.
I use Techron in all my cars for a long time. Maybe just 2x a year as I don't drive much. Costco darn near gives it away.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-14-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I use Techron in all my cars for a long time. Maybe just 2x a year as I don't drive much. Costco darn near gives it away.
Cause they were criticized for not having any detergent in their gas. So their response was add it yourself! Now they do both, sell 'toptier' gas and the additive.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just attended a British Car Day here last weekend British Car Day | Larz Anderson Auto Museum and got my first look at an EType...as I'd never heard of it. Sweet looking ride, love those long hoods. These were 60s automobiles I saw I believe.

I bought the XKR/black because I thought I'd blend in a bit more than a 2016 FType, and still get a similar drive and thrill. Plus I didn't feel as guilty paying over 50K for a car, than I would say, 70K. So I think of my Jag as the grown up/more refined automobile...and love to hold back it's power while others on the road tempt me to open her up. just knowing, is enough for me. Like the other night when someone started to beat me at a two lane light that goes into one lane, and i was going to let them go, but they gave up thinking it was no use.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
Just attended a British Car Day here last weekend British Car Day | Larz Anderson Auto Museum and got my first look at an EType...as I'd never heard of it.
Was there with the XE, WAG, and corgi...

GhostRider9000 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Mog

Mog

ralphwg (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Thanks for the pics.

GhostRider9000 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
got my first look at an EType...as I'd never heard of it. Sweet looking ride, love those long hoods.
The Etype is considered by many, including Enzo Ferrari "the most beautiful car ever made"

Our XK is a descendant that has carried many of its cues forward.

What is that thing that looks like a Biturbo with a whale tale. Its bi in a way.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

What is that thing that looks like a Biturbo with a whale tale. Its bi in a way.
If you mean the blue car in the first picture, it is a TVR.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I was parked next to the light blue metallic E type...

Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Our XK is a descendant that has carried many of its cues forward.
Too bad the XK is no longer a product, what does Jaguar have now that the XK is retired that carries on the cues?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Too bad the XK is no longer a product, what does Jaguar have now that the XK is retired that carries on the cues?
You need to know the politics- its an amazing story.

Malcolm Sayer, the mathematician who designed the Etype, died an unknown man, even his kids dont know where he is buried. Even today, those who use geometry and those who use the science of geometry for design (Italians), consider him a modern master. Malcolm's last job was teaching math in Baghdad University- his first was designing airplanes.

Ian Callum, the pencil pushing art school graduate made a name for himself by riding on the coattails of the E-type. Having done so, and in some regards being a smarter man than Malcolm, he does want a legacy and has a god complex that certain designers can get. To this end few years ago he realized that the most important thing he needed to do was to get out of the shadow of William Lyon and Malcolm Sayer. He has given many interviews where he has openly said Jaguar needs to get away from being a hostage to the e-type.

The line of beauty: Ian Callum on the Jaguar E-Type | The Week Portfolio

You can see how much that article above must burn Ian deep inside- to always being beholden to a genius. He wants to bury the e-type as far as he can.

Here he is grudgingly comparing the f-type to the e-type
Ian Callum on the F-Type design - Car Body Design

Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Here he is grudgingly comparing the f-type to the e-type
Ian Callum on the F-Type design - Car Body Design
Yeah, could care less about the politics, but the video is interesting. Hood hump, rear fender humps, and narrow tail lights. He is trying to find continuity over time, the fact that he has to work that hard to get there shows it is a lost cause.

Those are pretty slim comparisons, to me the XK is classic jaguar beauty evolved from decades that is very iconic. The F-Type is not a direct comparison to the XK as they are different cars, but it is all we have to work with since they are not producing a 2+2. It is a sweet looking sports car no doubt, does it scream Jaguar, I don't think so but I am one person. Perhaps in 30 years it can be the new classic design standard everyone looks back on.

The new XF and XE are fantastic cars in their segment but only recognizable from the masses by car buffs like ourselves. Contrast that to the old 4 door X-Type which does scream loudly Jaguar, there is no mistaking that design as anything else.

Personally I hate losing the XK from the lineup.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

jaguar did not need to kill the XK and the classic Jaguar styling, the world did...its a different world right now. Men wear shorts, the very concept of being classy is nonexistent. Style is dead, not just in how men carry themselves but in all areas of life. I remember a time when everyone wore a suit or at least a sportcoat to the airport. There was style in what you drank, how you smoked, and what shoes you wore- for driving no less. Today its sneakers, beer and weed.

That's why there has NEVER again been a rush by all the trendsetters around the world to buy an E-type. Ever Star had one, when there was no dealerships and they had to be imported. Roy Orbison had one, and when his manager saw my new XKR, the first thing out of his mouth was "Jesus that's an e-type"

Look at this, countless style houses used the Etype in their print ads. You cant do that with today's cars. It would be counterproductive.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Well, we agree that not having the X150 is a loss. Every generation likes to claim that the new breed is lesser in every way. Personally I grew up in Florida where jeans or shorts are the norm my whole life, people would have Jag's or Ferrari's but someone who worried about stylish shoes was a foppish effeminate northerner. And being told that drinking Jack Daniels or Bud Light is base or crass would earn a punch to the jaw.

I get that this was the style in the big cities, just pointing out that this is not necessarily the norm everywhere. I didn't buy a Jaguar to emulate cigar smoking, Breitling watch, ascot wearing, high-end whiskey fashion plates. I am just one of the unwashed masses who can afford a nice car. All the rest of the touch-feely warm-and-fuzzy crap is just not a factor for me.

Cee Jay (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't buy a Jaguar to emulate cigar smoking, Breitling watch, ascot wearing, high-end whiskey fashion plates. I am just one of the unwashed masses who can afford a nice car. All the rest of the touch-feely warm-and-fuzzy crap is just not a factor for me.
Was it you who pushed Jaguar to remove the ashtray's? What's a matter with wearing a cravat while smoking a cigar in one's Jag on the way to the society club?

Personally, I like the old Jaguar styling better and it's only the XJ that still holds some of it. One thing styling cue that has held the time with Jag is the long nose.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,430 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Yes, I agree with a lot of this; the last "Jag" looking Jag was the XK8/XK-R.

tampamark (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

someone who worried about stylish shoes was a foppish effeminate northerner. And being told that drinking Jack Daniels or Bud Light is base or crass would earn a punch to the jaw.
Right there- you put it into words why the XK died and beautifully described how we have raced to the bottom!

Bet you dont see the prejudice, discrimination and the self-defeating petulance.
What you have said is in that society its acceptable to spit on and label someone that wears good shoes and drinks different beer, as a borderline queer northerner. BUT it would be wildly unacceptable for that refined person to label anyone anything. So the scale is tipped in the favor of those who can drag down, and against those who can drag up. Not unlike Sharia.

We all come from small places and every town in this country was once an outpost. The Chairman of the Board was an immigrant Sicilian peasant- he loved his Jaguars.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Ha, never said anything about being queer, that is your take, I was simply saying that it was looked on as girly-man, not gay but "soft". Down here you don't have much of the stuff you describe, yet the XK sold in Florida very well. Equating true Jaguar folks to what you are saying is ludicrous in my book, that is your opinion. I don't have to be a society club or country club type to enjoy a nice car. The XK is dying because it was poorly marketed and never updated to compete with the brands who continued to invest in their products to appeal to changing tastes. The design is fine and will sell, but it needs the BS that the masses want in current cars, great infotaintment systems, connected internet, motorized trunk lid, soft-close doors, etc. Obviously I don't care as I have the XK.

The real reason is that Jag has sold out, they are looking for profits and sales success more than classic vehicles. They are designing cars that have mass market appeal, hence the current sedan heavy lineup and addition of an SUV. Perhaps they will follow what BMW did when they **** canned the 6 series and then later brought it back after the general mass-appeal vehicles had driven the company into solid footing. Don't start in on all the crap about them, this isn't about BMW or comparing success, just saying that this could be a decent way to have the XK live on. This is not because of a shift away from the class as our society has dumbed down to beer, weed, and sneakers. Just silliness. It is corporate profits, if they made a solid push with a fresh designed XK we wouldn't be having this discussion, it would probably be selling. But as of right now we will never know.

No worries, I am done, have no more to say on the subject, I am out!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

deleted post to give the last word to the person requesting it

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-29-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: deleted post to give the last word to the person requesting it
tampamark (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yes, I agree with a lot of this; the last "Jag" looking Jag was the XK8/XK-R.
For two doors, I agree. I think the 4.2L XJ8 that came out after is still "Jag" looking.

I remember when shopping for XK8's and a search engine did not distinguish XK8 from XK., and I saw my first 2007, I sort of thought it was ghastly in comparison, bulky and not as good. I made all my searches stop at 2006 after that.

Frankly, I completely forgot about the X150, it was only when comparing a new F-type to a few years used Porsche 911 that I remembered there was a newer XK. I didn't like the F-type's lack of carry space compared to the 911. Somehow this lead to me looking at the XK, which had the 2+2 interior arrangement I wanted. Three careful days of reading about the X150 and I went out and became an X150 owner; buying the only available local car with a caramel interior(my must have for me.)

Walking up to a car I was about to buy, it looked much better than I thought it would. It looked better in person than in pictures. I probably saw one ten some years ago when it was new, but it was nighttime, parked by a valet at the curb, but last in line, not in the lights.

Because of the car's faithfulness, I think today that it is a beauty, but it used to surprise me how any time I went out at a time when people would be about I would get compliments on the car when walking to/from it. I thought it might blend in, I was wrong.

I thought it was ugly when I first saw pictures, but I was wrong then too. (Although admittedly, the headlight treatment of the non LED cars is a little awkward.)

To me, the X150's beauty, is that of an old lady offering water to desert travelers. This car brought refreshment in my life. The short and far spaced down times compared to my old 944's was a much needed relief that lets me be more productive, and also only work on cars when I want to enjoy it. I was wasting a lot of time, and adding a lot of stress by running older Porsche' for DD duties. The XK is such a relief, I wish I'd done it sooner!

I'm probably a bit of an odd ball in that I was drawn to the X150 by the dollars/sense of this used Jaguar rather than it's style or image.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-29-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today