XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Real running costs of a X150?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Real running costs of a X150?

For those who have owned one of these beautiful machines for a while, what is the approximate yearly running costs? How does it compare to the running costs of a V8 Vantage for example? I have been told the running costs could be similar. I know Aston parts will be more expensive. But since it used lots of Ford bits, there are tips online to cut prices by searching for the Ford number parts etc.

How does it compare to the running costs of a F-type V6 S manual?

I would guess it would also be comparable to the running costs of a X100? Or X100 would be cheaper to run than the X150?

I would like to have an idea of the running costs in order to make an educated decision.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Depends on who's fixing the car. Oil filter on V8V is more than the Jag's. The same filter "will fit", but the V8V has different spring in the filter or something, so it should not be used. Owning both cars, the Vantage will be slightly more to own due to the actual parts costing more. The Vantage of the same year as an XK was like 60K+ more, so running costs are going to be higher. Any used car, think of the MSRP as a base on how much it costs to maintain; not the depreciated sale cost later on. The steering and handling on the Vantage is WAY better than the XK. If you are looking for pinpoint steering, quick turn in and real sports car; there is only one option between the two. There is a more storage space on the XK over the Vantage or DB9. The leather, fit and finish on the inside is much finer on the Vantage. The extra money the Vantage costs new is not for nothing. Braking is better on the Aston's... It's just a nicer car over all. Not that the XK is bad. XK is a great value visually has more impact to those who don't care about nameplates IMO. I had my seafrost green XK parted between a Vantage and DB9 once and kids would flock to my car fist. Probably due the size of the XK over the other two. The only XK I would put really as a competitor the Aston would be the XKR-S; otherwise there is not a debate to which one I would want to own. Especially for the long haul.

Drive them all and see for yourself. I was at the Aston dealer yesterday (mounting the winter wheels) and was discussing with them their hardest part in sales is actually getting someone to test drive an Aston. Pictures and articles just don't convey what a test drive does. Aston and Lotus have very hire sales rates after a test drive. I would take either marque for the money over the XK in general.

The following users liked this post:
MikeV8 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Depends on who's fixing the car. Oil filter on V8V is more than the Jag's. The same filter "will fit", but the V8V has different spring in the filter or something, so it should not be used. Owning both cars, the Vantage will be slightly more to own due to the actual parts costing more. The Vantage of the same year as an XK was like 60K+ more, so running costs are going to be higher. Any used car, think of the MSRP as a base on how much it costs to maintain; not the depreciated sale cost later on. The steering and handling on the Vantage is WAY better than the XK. If you are looking for pinpoint steering, quick turn in and real sports car; there is only one option between the two. There is a more storage space on the XK over the Vantage or DB9. The leather, fit and finish on the inside is much finer on the Vantage. The extra money the Vantage costs new is not for nothing. Braking is better on the Aston's... It's just a nicer car over all. Not that the XK is bad. XK is a great value visually has more impact to those who don't care about nameplates IMO. I had my seafrost green XK parted between a Vantage and DB9 once and kids would flock to my car fist. Probably due the size of the XK over the other two. The only XK I would put really as a competitor the Aston would be the XKR-S; otherwise there is not a debate to which one I would want to own. Especially for the long haul.

Drive them all and see for yourself. I was at the Aston dealer yesterday (mounting the winter wheels) and was discussing with them their hardest part in sales is actually getting someone to test drive an Aston. Pictures and articles just don't convey what a test drive does. Aston and Lotus have very hire sales rates after a test drive. I would take either marque for the money over the XK in general.
I'm 100% with you on the comparison between the V8V and XK. As I said before, it would be a decision from the heart rather than from the head. But as far as running costs, although higher, I don't get the impression a V8V would be that much higher to run by what you are saying. Would you say it would be 50% higher? Or more like 10%?

Again, I understand what you are saying about the steering and handling, brakes etc on the V8V being more sporty. But my goal would be to improve the XK and inspired by the XKR-S where I could. I would not just convert it to manual and leave it. I would gradually improve it.

By the way, have you driven a manual V6 Ftype? How would you say it compares to the V8V? If one can get 450bhp from a V6 Ftype doesn't leave it behind most V8Vs.

Last edited by MikeV8; 11-27-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
I'm 100% with you on the comparison between the V8V and XK. As I said before, it would be a decision from the heart rather than from the head. But as far as running costs, although higher, I don't get the impression a V8V would be that much higher to run by what you are saying. Would you say it would be 50% higher? Or more like 10%?

Again, I understand what you are saying about the steering and handling, brakes etc on the V8V being more sporty. But my goal would be to improve the XK and inspired by the XKR-S where I could. I would not just convert it to manual and leave it. I would gradually improve it.

By the way, have you driven a manual V6 Ftype? How would you say it compares to the V8V? If one can get 450bhp from a V6 Ftype doesn't leave it behind most V8Vs.
I have not driven the V6 F Type in manual, but had the same engine in my XE R Sport. The engine in the Vantage revs better and has a way better sound. F Type is no Aston Martin and no Jaguar has the steering feel of an Aston Martin. I assume the calipers in my XE are the same in the F Type and they were nothing to write home about it. I don't think you could realistically improve the XK/XKR to the point you'd want to be without spending the amount you could just buy a V12 Vantage. If you want a beast manual, buy a V12 Vantage S. They're under 100K now and that is a keeper car for ever. More so than the DB9 or V8V. I like the AM V12 engine better too. Such an awesome revving engine and a joy over all. Easier to check the oil on and what could be better than a V12?

If getting an XK, I'd get an XKR-S and just leave as is. A manual conversion to a manual in a Jag, the XJS is the one to convert. Kits are available that have it all sorted out and the V12 loves a manual in that car.

MikeV8 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 AM

I have not driven the V6 F Type in manual, but had the same engine in my XE R Sport. The engine in the Vantage revs better and has a way better sound. F Type is no Aston Martin and no Jaguar has the steering feel of an Aston Martin. I assume the calipers in my XE are the same in the F Type and they were nothing to write home about it. I don't think you could realistically improve the XK/XKR to the point you'd want to be without spending the amount you could just buy a V12 Vantage. If you want a beast manual, buy a V12 Vantage S. They're under 100K now and that is a keeper car for ever. More so than the DB9 or V8V. I like the AM V12 engine better too. Such an awesome revving engine and a joy over all. Easier to check the oil on and what could be better than a V12?

If getting an XK, I'd get an XKR-S and just leave as is. A manual conversion to a manual in a Jag, the XJS is the one to convert. Kits are available that have it all sorted out and the V12 loves a manual in that car.
I have no doubt the V8 in the Vantage is a nicer engine and it does sound better. But since the Ftype is a much newer chassis I was curious about how the dynamics compared. Especially how the experience is when paired to the manual gearbox.

As for upgrading a XKR, you mentioned the XKR-S could be comparable to the Aston. Apart from the bodykit, what's the main difference between the XKR-S and the XKR? I was thinking the main difference would be the 550bhp from the engine and suspension and brakes tuning/upgrades?

Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

I have no doubt the V8 in the Vantage is a nicer engine and it does sound better. But since the Ftype is a much newer chassis I was curious about how the dynamics compared. Especially how the experience is when paired to the manual gearbox.

As for upgrading a XKR, you mentioned the XKR-S could be comparable to the Aston. Apart from the bodykit, what's the main difference between the XKR-S and the XKR? I was thinking the main difference would be the 550bhp from the engine and suspension and brakes tuning/upgrades?
I believe there is some suspension tweaks, the x-pipe exhaust and perhaps a ecu mapping. The RS models hold their value much better in the long run. The body kit pieces are carbon fiber and the XKRS represents the fastest Jaguar ever produced at the time. The XKRS is faster than an Aston in the straight line, but not as driver focused around corners. Not to say it's lacking at all. There's still the quality difference in leather and all that, that comes with any Aston.

How much do you think the manual transmission conversion would cost alone? 30K?

MikeV8 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

My XKR is over 10 years old now and even with use as a full time track car has had no major issues or repairs needed. The left turn signal stalk was replaced in 2011 under warranty and recently the transmission mount started leaking, repair was less than $200. Oil changes are cheap and easy as well as standard fluids maintenance. I have quite a few performance mods including Alcon racing calipers & 2-piece rotors, suspension bushings, bespoke adjustable digressive coil overs, a Quaife ATB LSD and a new steering rack from the XKR-S GT which significantly improves steering response, feel and feedback. The car has no body roll or squat and takes corners crisply at high speed and stops on a dime.

Jaguar, being a higher production car has parts readily available and at a much lower cost than Aston Martin.

Last edited by jahummer; 11-27-2019 at 03:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
Cee Jay (11-27-2019), MikeV8 (11-28-2019), mosesbotbol (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

The leather, fit and finish on the inside is much finer on the Vantage.
Funny I’ve often wondered about this. You would think that would be the case, however, every preowned Vantage that I have looked at even with super low miles has had a leather interior that looked like somebody drove it for 100,000 miles. My 11-year old XKR has 58,000 miles on it and the leather still looks new. Same for the SuperV8 I had for 7 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
Cee Jay (11-27-2019), MikeV8 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
My XKR is over 10 years old now and even with use as a full time track car has had no major issues or repairs needed. The left turn signal stalk was replaced in 2011 under warranty and recently the transmission mount started leaking, repair was less than $200. Oil changes are cheap and easy as well as standard fluids maintenance. I have quite a few performance mods including Alcon racing calipers & 2-piece rotors, suspension bushings, bespoke adjustable digressive coil overs, a Quaife ATB LSD and a new steering rack from the XKR-S GT which significantly improves steering response, feel and feedback. The car has no body roll or squat and takes corners crisply at high speed and stops on a dime.

Jaguar, being a higher production car has parts readily available and at a much lower cost than Aston Martin.
Must be quite the ride! Well done. How much in mod's did all of that cost?

Old 11-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

MikeV8,
There is simply no comparison between the maintenance costs of an X100 and the X150. My X100 XKR was the most labor intensive car I have ever owned; my X150, one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Yes, I have had 4 water pumps (1 only lasted a week), and have had fuel injector issues twice, but in between those repairs has been relatively free of drama. As for comparing Aston's to Jag's maintenance costs, I've attached a couple of video links with some information.
Here's What It Cost Me to Own an Aston Martin for a Year - Autotrader
Good luck!

MikeV8 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I've had my 2010 for six years now, got it CPO off-lease. Other than the TPMS irritations, I've had four injectors replaced along with eight plugs, and the left-side engine mount. Total cost was just over $2100. I don't count stuff like oil, brakes, fluid swaps and such as all cars need those anyway. The price for brakes and fluids and such is maybe 10% higher than 'normal' cars, so no big whoop.
MY cost of ownership for those years...
$29 per month. What's that, 97 cents per day?

In way of comparison, I once went and looked at a for-sale 1973 Mustang listed as "over $15,000 invested". When I saw the car I thought it was the wrong one, it wasn't BAD, but it was well worn and nothing special. The dude came out carrying a box which he proudly showed me...... LOTS of receipts...... for wiper blades. Oil. Tires. Light bulbs. Air filters. Tire balancing. Alignments. Replacement mufflers. I even seem to remember Car Wash receipts. I only looked at a few of them, then not-so-respectfully walked away.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:22 AM

I believe there is some suspension tweaks, the x-pipe exhaust and perhaps a ecu mapping.
So that's the only difference between the XKR and XKR-S? And you think to upgrade a XKR to that level would cost as much as the price difference between a XKR and a V12 Vantage? I don't care for the bodykit. I don't like how it looks anyway. And to me whether a model keeps its value better than another is not important. I'm buying to keep and I'm modifying it anyways, which affects the value already.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Funny I’ve often wondered about this. You would think that would be the case, however, every preowned Vantage that I have looked at even with super low miles has had a leather interior that looked like somebody drove it for 100,000 miles. My 11-year old XKR has 58,000 miles on it and the leather still looks new. Same for the SuperV8 I had for 7 years.
That's good to hear.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
MikeV8,
There is simply no comparison between the maintenance costs of an X100 and the X150. My X100 XKR was the most labor intensive car I have ever owned; my X150, one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. Yes, I have had 4 water pumps (1 only lasted a week), and have had fuel injector issues twice, but in between those repairs has been relatively free of drama. As for comparing Aston's to Jag's maintenance costs, I've attached a couple of video links with some information.
Here's What It Cost Me to Own an Aston Martin for a Year - Autotrader
(46) Here's What It Costs to Own a Used Aston Martin - YouTube
Good luck!
OK thanks. Interesting info there. So it's looking like an Aston is indeed a lot more expensive to run than a Jaguar. Despite cars from both brands in that era being very similar and Ford based. I guess the plastic little badge on the car is enough to drive parts prices up.

This also tells me I was right with my decision of going with a Jaguar. Part of the reason is that I want something special. But not something exotic which will cost an arm and a leg to buy and especially not something which will cost an arm and a leg to run and keep on the road. I'm not buying this to be some garage queen. I want to drive it and enjoy it as much as possible. If I'm alone and not with the kids, I will be daily driving it. I will put miles on it. I want to travel north to south, east to west in it. So something which breakdown a lot or is high maintenance diva and expensive to keep on the road would be a foolish decision. Which rules out anything exotic. Especially an Aston.

When you add that I don't really love the style of the Vantage (I think it may be that door crease and the Honda looking taillights) it makes the Aston totally the wrong car. More expensive to buy, more expensive to run, more expensive to keep on the road, most likely less reliable, and l don't love the looks. So all there is to it in my case is a plastic badge with a name. Because even mechanically they are not that different with both being built under Ford, sharing parts from the parts bin and even the engine being based on the same engine.

I couldn't care less about the badge.

If we were talking about the MKI Vanquish, that would be slightly different. Yes, most of all the above would still apply. But at least I find the shape and style gorgeous. A manual Vanquish from Aston Martin works would be lovely indeed. Never drove one but I'm guessing the Vantage is a better driver's car and sports car for sure. But the Vanquish looks lovely. But it's out of budget and also it must drive as I need. Don't need a car to just look at. It's out of budget anyway. So out of mind.

So I guess a Jaguar is the right decision. If Alfa Romeo had any RWD coupes in modern times, it t would also fit the special but not exotic and diva mantra. But they don't. Nothing German fits. Don't like Porsches and BMWs. Mercedes are only automatic as well. So Jaguar indeed seems to be the correct choice. If I can only sort the transmission mistake out.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:15 AM

Just something else you said:

MikeV8,
There is simply no comparison between the maintenance costs of an X100 and the X150. My X100 XKR was the most labor intensive car I have ever owned;
Really? I'm surprised. In what sense? Engine problems? Electrical? I have heard they were fairly reliable.

Maybe folks dropping LS1s in them are right after all.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

OK thanks. Interesting info there. So it's looking like an Aston is indeed a lot more expensive to run than a Jaguar. Despite cars from both brands in that era being very similar and Ford based. I guess the plastic little badge on the car is enough to drive parts prices up.

This also tells me I was right with my decision of going with a Jaguar. Part of the reason is that I want something special. But not something exotic which will cost an arm and a leg to buy and especially not something which will cost an arm and a leg to run and keep on the road. I'm not buying this to be some garage queen. I want to drive it and enjoy it as much as possible. If I'm alone and not with the kids, I will be daily driving it. I will put miles on it. I want to travel north to south, east to west in it. So something which breakdown a lot or is high maintenance diva and expensive to keep on the road would be a foolish decision. Which rules out anything exotic. Especially an Aston.

When you add that I don't really love the style of the Vantage (I think it may be that door crease and the Honda looking taillights) it makes the Aston totally the wrong car. More expensive to buy, more expensive to run, more expensive to keep on the road, most likely less reliable, and l don't love the looks. So all there is to it in my case is a plastic badge with a name. Because even mechanically they are not that different with both being built under Ford, sharing parts from the parts bin and even the engine being based on the same engine.

I couldn't care less about the badge.

If we were talking about the MKI Vanquish, that would be slightly different. Yes, most of all the above would still apply. But at least I find the shape and style gorgeous. A manual Vanquish from Aston Martin works would be lovely indeed. Never drove one but I'm guessing the Vantage is a better driver's car and sports car for sure. But the Vanquish looks lovely. But it's out of budget and also it must drive as I need. Don't need a car to just look at. It's out of budget anyway. So out of mind.

So I guess a Jaguar is the right decision. If Alfa Romeo had any RWD coupes in modern times, it t would also fit the special but not exotic and diva mantra. But they don't. Nothing German fits. Don't like Porsches and BMWs. Mercedes are only automatic as well. So Jaguar indeed seems to be the correct choice. If I can only sort the transmission mistake out.
What makes you think an Aston breaks down a lot or less reliable? That is not true at all. Drive both 10k miles in one year and you'll be dead even in reliability between the Jag and Aston. The annual service is higher in the Aston due to more rigorous items that are done every season. Very few Jaguar owners change brake fluid every season. That's normal on the Aston. Same goes for other items, but they expectation to keep the car tip top is higher on an Aston and adds to cost. Plenty of DIYer's, working on their Aston's and discount part vendors online. I have no hesitation driving my car on any journey of any length in my Rapide, and same in the Vantage. Best long term investment is a V12 Vantage manual. 20 years from now, that one will be the one everyone said "I had a change to buy one back then for 90K; if only I had known."

Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

.................There is simply no comparison between the maintenance costs of an X100 and the X150. My X100 XKR was the most labor intensive car I have ever owned; my X150, one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned..........................
Yeah, I don't know about this either. I had my XK8 for about three years, the only problem it ever had was a leaking A/C line. It had a couple PROBLEMS, but stuff like the overhead console buttons got gooey from the PO having a hydro leak on the front top latch (repaired before I bought it) and some of the weather stripping around the front windows-to-roof was torn a bit. Other than that, it was great.

MikeV8 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Although I love my X100, everything on that 4.0L car has broken or been replaced during my ownership. It is now reliable but took years and tens of thousands of dollars of parts and labor. From plastic tensioner replacement, timing chain replacement, ABS issues, "green shower" convertible top leaks with complete hose replacement, convertible top ram replacement, headrest malfunction (someday I'll get around to fixing that myself) tranny solenoids replaced, etc........And when I bought the car with 60,000 miles on it, it was in nearly mint condition with a full Jaguar dealer service history. It is still gorgeous, and I will drive it with the top down every time I get in it, but I don't like the driving experience as much as my X150. And it's terrifying trying to drive it at speed through canyons or curvy roads. But at now 175,000 miles, it seems to be much more reliable.

Cee Jay (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

In 15 months and 11k miles wth my 07 XKR, I've had a leaky coolant tank (130$) and tpms sensors (60$). I did new rear tires, which was 450$, but that's not really a repair. Easy car to live with. I also paid out 600 for a rear bumper spray due to a hit and run; not Jaguars fault obviously.

In 10 years and 44k miles with my 00 xkr, I've spent maybe 3k in parts and what would have been 15k in labor (diy). They're a needier car but still satisfying to own. I've spent another 7k on cosmetics (paint, wheel refurb, new wood and new leather) and consumables like 2 sets of tires (needed when i bought, needed again 2 years ago due to 36k miles wearing them down). Been one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. I've basically spent a grand a year to drive a Jaguar xkr as my main car 8 months a year for a decade; no complaints. I liked it enough to buy 2 more Jaguars.

The x150 will cost less to run than the x100, which is going to have lots of expensive age related failures. Each year i go through a system and make it new so the car stays reliable, you pay a shop to replace every cooking system hose and you're out thousands, same for full suspension and steering rebuild. I did both due to age related rubber deterioration. The newest xk8 is 13, the oldest xk is 12, the xk was from a higher quality era too. I live both but if you don't diy, absolutely go for the xk over the xk8 era.

Last edited by 80sRule; 11-28-2019 at 08:08 PM.
MikeV8 (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Asking what it costs to maintain a Jaguar compared to an Aston Martin is like asking to compare the cost of alimony for a blonde or a brunette.

Seriously, there is no meaningful answer to your question. Every used vehicle is at risk of mechanical, electrical and cosmetic damage that increases with age, including vehicles serviced "by the book". That's why used vehicles cost less than new vehicles under warranty, particularly high performance low production luxury vehicles. Statistically speaking, one owner's experience is not predictive of anyone else's experience. You can hedge that risk by buying a third-party extended service contract. That might make you sleep better at night, but whether it's worth the cost is debatable.

And don't be fooled by low mileage. Its like the 10-year old 2010 XKR with only 4,000 miles that was driven by a little old lady only on weekends ... 1/4 mile at a time!

When you're in love your emotions and desires will strongly affect your decisions. The road of life is short, so enjoy the ride in your Jaguar, Aston, or anything else. Just be sure to pay for a Pre Purchase Inspection so you know the cost of needed repairs.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
barnsie (11-29-2019), MikeV8 (11-29-2019), pwpacp (11-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Real running costs of a X150?