XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Real running costs of a X150?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV8
If I can only sort the transmission mistake out.
What transmission mistake? I must have missed it in all the hand-wringing. If you really want something with a big engine, manual box and Ford-level parts and maintenance costs perhaps you should be in the Mustang forum?

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

The XK/R is a Luxury GT car that just happens to have a lot of oomph, it is not a 'sports' car. If it had a manual it'd be too gauche.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
What makes you think an Aston breaks down a lot or less reliable? That is not true at all. Drive both 10k miles in one year and you'll be dead even in reliability between the Jag and Aston. The annual service is higher in the Aston due to more rigorous items that are done every season. Very few Jaguar owners change brake fluid every season. That's normal on the Aston. Same goes for other items, but they expectation to keep the car tip top is higher on an Aston and adds to cost. Plenty of DIYer's, working on their Aston's and discount part vendors online. I have no hesitation driving my car on any journey of any length in my Rapide, and same in the Vantage. Best long term investment is a V12 Vantage manual. 20 years from now, that one will be the one everyone said "I had a change to buy one back then for 90K; if only I had known."
I was just going by the reputation they have online plus that video. If he didn't have the warranty he would have lost and arm and a leg.

As for the V12 being the best long term investment, as I mentioned before I'm not worried about that as I'm not buying as an investment. That I'm considering swaps should be a tell tale of that.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The x150 will cost less to run than the x100, which is going to have lots of expensive age related failures. Each year i go through a system and make it new so the car stays reliable, you pay a shop to replace every cooking system hose and you're out thousands, same for full suspension and steering rebuild. I did both due to age related rubber deterioration. The newest xk8 is 13, the oldest xk is 12, the xk was from a higher quality era too. I live both but if you don't diy, absolutely go for the xk over the xk8 era.
I guess that's why many people are swapping a Chevy LS engine into their X100s. Their explanation is exactly that the X100 drive train is too problematic and the Chevy makes them reliable. I was kind of hoping that wasn't the case as I don't want a Jaguar with a Chevy engine.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Asking what it costs to maintain a Jaguar compared to an Aston Martin is like asking to compare the cost of alimony for a blonde or a brunette.

Seriously, there is no meaningful answer to your question. Every used vehicle is at risk of mechanical, electrical and cosmetic damage that increases with age, including vehicles serviced "by the book". That's why used vehicles cost less than new vehicles under warranty, particularly high performance low production luxury vehicles. Statistically speaking, one owner's experience is not predictive of anyone else's experience. You can hedge that risk by buying a third-party extended service contract. That might make you sleep better at night, but whether it's worth the cost is debatable.

And don't be fooled by low mileage. Its like the 10-year old 2010 XKR with only 4,000 miles that was driven by a little old lady only on weekends ... 1/4 mile at a time!

When you're in love your emotions and desires will strongly affect your decisions. The road of life is short, so enjoy the ride in your Jaguar, Aston, or anything else. Just be sure to pay for a Pre Purchase Inspection so you know the cost of needed repairs.
Ok fair enough. I was just trying to get an idea. Because if it would cost basically the same that would be another point for the Aston. But as it seems the Aston would be considerably more, all things being equal, then that's another reason not to go with the Aston. Thanks for contributing anyways.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jima
What transmission mistake? I must have missed it in all the hand-wringing. If you really want something with a big engine, manual box and Ford-level parts and maintenance costs perhaps you should be in the Mustang forum?
That smiley face was supposed to tell you it was all tongue in cheek. But I didn't find that icon.

For me automatic is a bad. For others it's fantastic. Matter of opinion.

Who said I'm aiming for Ford levels of maintenance costs? I never said that. I just wanted to know if it would be as high and demanding as something like an Aston. Because the Aston being a turnkey alternative for my manual RWD needs, if the Jaguar would be as expensive and needy, then it would be a point for the Aston. I was just looking for a point of referrence. Doesn't need to be as cheap as a Ford to run. But I also am looking for no diva.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The XK/R is a Luxury GT car that just happens to have a lot of oomph, it is not a 'sports' car. If it had a manual it'd be too gauche.
But if Lotus can turn a heavy budget "luxury" barge into a super-saloon by basically throwing a turbo in and tuning the heck out of the suspension, and that back in the late 80s, something like a X150 or X100 are a much better and closer to goal starting point.

Have you driven a Stelvio Quadrifoglio? It's almost insulting to sports cars that it drives and handles that well. It has no right to do that, being a fat crossover with the ground clearance of a bus. But it does.