XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Realistic Value of a low mileage pristine example?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:08 AM
Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Realistic Value of a low mileage pristine example?

My year long search for a 4.2 l N/A XK recently yielded me a low mileage one owner car that I'm absolutely thrilled with so far but I ended up with a vastly different color than I set out to find. The below car is the exact color combination and low mileage example I set out to acquire, it popped up 2 days after I brought my new car home. However, even if I hadn't already bought my car, as much I would have been tempted to inquire about this one, the asking price is quite a bit more. Over my year long search there had been one or two others that had become available in similar condition and price but knowing the going prices, I was waiting for them to come down a little in asking price before expressing interest. While I was waiting both of them sold fairly quickly (so I assume for asking price or close to).
I'm just curious as to opinions, I know the standard answer will be "it's worth what someone is willing to pay" but what do you think?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/51784691

Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Price seems a touch high but probably negotiable. Im not sure a 4.2 NA coupe in garage queen miles is screaming to be in anyone’s collection. It will probably be available for a while at that price point. Also, miles are a bit high for those that want ultra low. They usually want sub 7500.

Honestly, with a 12 year old car, if you want a driver, higher mileage than this may be better. There could be a ton of differed maintenance and dry rubber bits.

Cool car though.

The following users liked this post:
Ceckman (03-17-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Great color combo and it would have been in one of my 3 acceptable colors (you should look at getting yours wrapped). As for the value of a low mileage car I wouldn't believe it to be more then 1-3K. I consider the price of the car listed to be a non-starter and think it will be a long time sitting. In my history of buying cars they had to be exotic or special to demand extra dollars. Something like 1st car or last car of the model. Also have all options and be a low volume car. This is a plain vanilla XK with no special features. Look at the various market values and maybe ad a few K $'s but nothing more. This seller like most of us think these cars are unique and command high dollar value. Unfortunately they don't fit into that category. My 2 cents here.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 AM

It's interesting to me, at least in my experience, how much color influences one's decision as to how much to pay for identical cars. Here is one local to me with the same miles but a lower price that I passed on because the color wasn't one of my choices but it looks to be a beautiful one owner car...
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...828022979.html

Also, I can't believe how much I've grown to love the white (porcelain) with chrome wheels. Caramel interior was always my first choice with Ivory being a close second. I'm sure there are many who would question my choice and have opted for the silver with Senta wheels.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Color (ext & int) are completely up to you and you alone IMHO. Personally, I love my Polaris White with Caramel interior.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the price is a bit high but it is a beautiful car. Being in Texas there is prob no corrosion so that has value. The miles would be good for me I happen to like the color a lot. I paid about that for mine (2011 XKR) and it had 74K miles on it and it is black/caramel. I think when you find what turns you on you should buy it.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Cat
I think the price is a bit high but it is a beautiful car. Being in Texas there is prob no corrosion so that has value. The miles would be good for me I happen to like the color a lot. I paid about that for mine (2011 XKR) and it had 74K miles on it and it is black/caramel. I think when you find what turns you on you should buy it.
With today's ability to narrow down your search criteria on the net it makes it easy to sort out the acceptable colors . My search took about 6 months and after the first month I had to start sorting by colors which were acceptable to me. There were only 3 that I was looking for and by being more selective the cars available came down to less then 10 cars per month available nation wide. I finally lucked out and paid what I needed to get what I want. As noted color is a personal choice so go for what you want and wait for it. On the other hand if you just want an XK then there should be plenty of options for you to buy.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

That color Indigo Blue on the XK alone is worth $5000 more than other colors...to me.
And as a bonus you get the matched in heaven Caramel interior.

This car is being sold as a prized possession as opposed another used car.
In fact its not used much.

For $25k you are getting a 10%used $80k car.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM

You nailed it! That's why I was curious as to what others thought, I see precisely what you see yet when you watch what most other examples with very low miles go for you have to scratch your head and ask "would I be over paying?"

Old 03-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
... This is a plain vanilla XK with no special features. ...
I disagree. This XK is equipped with Adaptive Cruise Control, a rare option, as identified by the two rotary controls on the right side of the steering wheel. The wood and leather steering wheel, although not as rare as ACC, was available only in 2007 and is a nice touch that ties the entire interior together.

I agree that the asking price is a bit ambitious, but it's the nicest 2007 XK I've seen. Unfortunately, it's not an XKR.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Meh. 2010+ XKRs are starting to touch that price, so a lowly non-R three year older car isn't anything I'd even look at. With that you DO get ACC as standard (on the 2010) and an updated interior package.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I think the color and mileage give it a bump but Car Gurus notes it as overpriced by about $4500, NADA (what dealers use generally) puts its worth around $15k and KBB (which is always overvalued imo puts it from $16k - 18k, and that assumes it has the luxury package.

Anyone here actually have ACC in their search criteria for a car? Rarity of it is irrelevant to dealers as it's nothing more than a cute feature. I had it in my SV8 and hated it. Others love it. It's just an add on trinket.

I personally like the color combo but wouldn't value it above red and wouldn't offer more than $17k and wouldn't touch it @ $25k. That's laughable. You asked....

Old 03-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kongo1
You nailed it! That's why I was curious as to what others thought, I see precisely what you see yet when you watch what most other examples with very low miles go for you have to scratch your head and ask "would I be over paying?"
No you would not be overpaying. If anything you are a smart buyer.
Just look around this forum, you will see folks go out and spend $5k on wheels, and or $5k on vinyl wrap, paint correction, the list goes on and on.
You would be getting your ideal car from the get go. And there will be no other unfulfilled need or expense, in actuality you will be paying less than many.

Also take into account that you will get more years out of this car. So the extra upfront evens out.
Its a very rich combination, and its timeless.

Stuart S (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Bottom line......if you like the car then go for it. Personally, I think the car is about $4K to $5K overpriced but if you have to have it I say why not? In due time you'll forget about the price and be happy you bought a real gem. You only go around once.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive compared to other Jags. It's nice but overpriced. Buy it and enjoy it.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

At that price if it were a 2009 I'd say the price would be right.

I'm not sure I'd spend that on a 2007.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny enough this showed up in a search I was doing today.

Indigo 2007 xk
I know it doesn't have quite as much going for it as the one mentioned in the first post, but is that car worth twice as much this one? In my mind no, but each there own. Now, this one might be hiding more sins that you wouldn't find out about with out a decent inspection, it is after all a Jersey car. But with out something totally fetal being wrong, I think you would still be able to save enough on this one to fix those issues.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Nevets

Indigo 2007 xk
is that car worth twice as much this one?
Totally worth twice as much and more.
The first car has 90,000 miles to go before it winds up like this one at a buy-here-pay-here lot.
And you will never get that new car sensation with the 2nd one. (keep in mind its the sensation folks were willing to pay $80k for)

So if it takes 9 years to get to 100,000 miles, It works out to about $1300 a year.
The second car, I bet is sold in 2 years after realizing its a money pit for $7000. Or $2500 a year, for an exhausted vehicle.

What's peace of mind worth? knowing the pedigree of where your car came from and type of driver and it was not driven in NY.

That said the second car is a good deal and not typical for used cars.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

First one is like running into your childhood sweetheart again when she is in her 30's.
The second one is like running into her in her 70's.

guy (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

At that price you are falling into the 2010+ models with fair mileage. That’s a significant upgrade in the XK. Unless you are stuck on the 2007-2009 design without a question there are very nice cars out there in newer model years with acceptable mileage. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Quick Reply: Realistic Value of a low mileage pristine example?