XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear Brake Pads Estimate From Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Generally, the Jag rotors do not fare well with grinding. I was able to get a 2nd set of pads on the back, but I am know they will not last as long. I plan to replace all rotors and pads at some point later this year.

My indy says to stick with OEM Jaguar rotors.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Interesting... Anything is possible, but something would have to activate the brake for it to do so....
I guess if you're in doubt, one could just pull parking brake module connector, or the battery lead.
I am not a Jag mechanic, but have done dozens of brake jobs in my life (have never taken a car to a shop for it), so I just took a look at it, and went to work... I was prepared to have jag calibrate the system if needed, but it was pretty straight forward, and worked well when I was done.

I will warn, that if you lack mechanical skills or proper tools to re-torque things to spec, I would never recommend you work on your own braking system.

-Vince
Vince have you worked on the later model Jag XK's (2010-new) rear brakes. The above post gave me the indication that you were familiar with the XK E-Brake system but your above post gives me the feeling that you have not. Does the electric drive motor use external cables or are they integral to the caliper. Can you please describe the process to back off the E-Brake. Do we need to disconnect the module and apply voltage to a pin in a connector to operator the e-brake motor or do we need a diag. tool and go into the OBDII port to make it function. Just curious here

Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
On the Alcon brake system 2008-2009 Portfolio Editions, the rear braking system has 2 calipers. The red Alcon 4 piston caliber and a black Brembo brake caliper for the emergency brake. The Alcon caliper is large while the black Brembo caliper is quite smaller compared to the Alcon.
Rich the later models only have one rear caliper on the rears.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Rich the later models only have one rear caliper on the rears.
Mine is a 2009 and has the 2 calipers on the rear. I am not sure what the later models have as I don't have a later model. I was referring to the 2008-2009 MY's.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Mine is a 2009 and has the 2 calipers on the rear. I am not sure what the later models have as I don't have a later model. I was referring to the 2008-2009 MY's.
Sorry I was talking about 2010-new.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Vince have you worked on the later model Jag XK's (2010-new) rear brakes. The above post gave me the indication that you were familiar with the XK E-Brake system but your above post gives me the feeling that you have not. Does the electric drive motor use external cables or are they integral to the caliper. Can you please describe the process to back off the E-Brake. Do we need to disconnect the module and apply voltage to a pin in a connector to operator the e-brake motor or do we need a diag. tool and go into the OBDII port to make it function. Just curious here
Mine is a 2007, so no I have not worked on later models. I used no OBD tool, or special tool outside of needing a piston retractor that fit the Jags pucks.

My service manual only covers up to 2010, as does my illustrated parts breakdown. The diagrams still show the second generation with standard calipers just to alleviate your fears of motors combined with calipers, and to me, a caliper is a caliper is a caliper...

In fairness, I am a skilled mechanic, caring for my own cars for 40 years, so very little maintenance frightens me. I found the job no more difficult than any other brake work.

If cautions exist warning of bodily harm, then by all means, heed them.

Last edited by CleverName; 06-17-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Corrected number of years
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Mine is a 2007, so no I have not worked on later models. I used no OBD tool, or special tool outside of needing a piston retractor that fit the Jags pucks.

My service manual only covers up to 2010, as does my illustrated parts breakdown. The diagrams still show the second generation with standard calipers just to alleviate your fears of motors combined with calipers, and to me, a caliper is a caliper is a caliper...

In fairness, I am a skilled mechanic, caring for my own cars for 40 years, so very little maintenance frightens me. I found the job no more difficult than any other brake work.

If cautions exist warning of bodily harm, then by all means, heed them.
OK , thanks and yeah I don't see anything that would scare us but would like to take a look and understand how to unwind the E-Brake. The 1st time I replaced the pads on my old Ferrari was an interesting exersize as the emergency brake was built into the caliper. After seeing the diagram it wasn't a problem retracting the pistons but after installation of the pads you needed to adjust the pad to rotor clearance with a feeler gauge. Does anyone have the parts explosion of the late model XK rear brakes.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

You can look through these... Again, my stuff only goes to 2010

BOL -Vince

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear_Brake.pdf (43.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: pdf
Rear_brake_service.pdf (707.4 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

postscript to my brake job...

Two doors down from the Jaguar dealer, where I had my appointment, is an independent foreign car repair shop. They (All Foreign Auto Repair) specialize in Jaguars.

So, I went in and they did the rear pad replacement, using OE parts for a grand total of $253 tax included. This is compared to the $400 estimate from the dealer.

I believe I'm safe in saying, we are all willing to pay the price for the care of our cars, we simply don't enjoy "over paying" when it becomes obvious.

All's well that ends well...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tahoe Dave:
CleverName (06-19-2014), Panthro (04-10-2016)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I had my 2008 XK serviced last week at the dealer, in the Bay Area. The Service Adviser informed me that I need to replace the rear brake pads. He told me that the cost would be almost $400 for pad replacement only. They do not machine the rotors if they have the minimum thickness, which is the case for me.

I am curious if anyone out there has had the pads replaced, without machining the rotors? Additionally, I would like to know if the price ($400) is in line?

Thanks in advance...
I paid $200 for my dealer to replace rear pads on my 2010 XKR...did it about 6 months before I traded it, so that was about 9 months ago.

I had them do it because the rear brakes are an integral part of the traction control system. I don't think that would have prevented me from doing it myself...

I have actually had to replace the rear eBrake pads on my DBS. The pads from Aston were about $700. But, the pads are *exactly* the same as the ones that fit several Jag models, such as the 2009 S Type R. And, at $125 a set I saved quite a bit!!!

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (04-10-2016)