XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear panel small help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 05:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear panel small help

does anyone have a trick or instructions on how to put this back in place securely? I tried but it almost looks like the upper door panel has to come off, which I don’t want to do.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

Will it come out totally? - there is probably some sort of clip on the backside that might give a clue on how the thing fits - taking the back seat of the rails might also give some idea - not a hard job.

The following users liked this post:
Jaaaaaaaaaaag (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by McJag222
Will it come out totally? - there is probably some sort of clip on the backside that might give a clue on how the thing fits - taking the back seat of the rails might also give some idea - not a hard job.
cool. Thank you. Yes it comes completely out. And the adjacent similar section of it to the right along the driver window flaps out if I pry it hard enough. But it was such a tricky angle and not a lot of space back there and I had no luck. I will try your idea about taking the rear seat down!

Old 08-30-2023, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I’ll have to go check but I believe that’s all one piece part of the rear quarter trim not meant to be removed.

EDIT:

I was right, they’re glued together. See my listing here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/268653

Last edited by jahummer; 08-30-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Jaaaaaaaaaaag (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 02:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I’ll have to go check but I believe that’s all one piece part of the rear quarter trim not meant to be removed. ......
+1

Confirmed by the listing in JEPC:

However, it must be glued together during assembly but you'll have to remove the panel to replicate / fix this.

Graham

Old 08-31-2023, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
I’ll have to go check but I believe that’s all one piece part of the rear quarter trim not meant to be removed.

EDIT:

I was right, they’re glued together. See my listing here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/268653
Originally Posted by GGG
+1

Confirmed by the listing in JEPC:

However, it must be glued together during assembly but you'll have to remove the panel to replicate / fix this.

Graham
Thanks guys. Darn. Yeah I guess I may as well glue them together. I got the car used. Wondering if that has anything to do with why the driver side door keyless entry works, but the locking button on the same exterior handle does not. Also if I lean the driver seat all the way back and start moving the seat backwards like that, it eventually starts pushing in on that whole panel and it starts bending. Is that supposed to happen? Haven’t tried it on the passenger side as I don’t want to damage that side as well.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:15 AM
Received 209 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaaaaaag
if I lean the driver seat all the way back and start moving the seat backwards like that, it eventually starts pushing in on that whole panel and it starts bending. Is that supposed to happen? Haven’t tried it on the passenger side as I don’t want to damage that side as well.
When I was searching for a car, a lot that I looked at had scuffing or tears in that area due the seat being pushed back. My own car has slight scuffing there but I'm only 5'8'' so it won't get worse in my ownership...

The following 2 users liked this post by justinhill:
GGG (08-31-2023), Jaaaaaaaaaaag (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by justinhill
When I was searching for a car, a lot that I looked at had scuffing or tears in that area due the seat being pushed back. My own car has slight scuffing there but I'm only 5'8'' so it won't get worse in my ownership...
got it. That’s good to know. I don’t mind that as much just because it appears to be some “normal wear I suppose. It’s also in a spot that pretty much no one is going to notice as opposed to a huge scratch in the headliner or something. I’m just glad that my thing isn’t misaligned or something. I guess I’ve never had a two door car before, so I wasn’t aware beforehand that those types of cars can actually push//tilt the seat back far enough to actually make contact with the side panels.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

got it. That’s good to know. I don’t mind that as much just because it appears to be some “normal wear I suppose. It’s also in a spot that pretty much no one is going to notice as opposed to a huge scratch in the headliner or something. I’m just glad that my thing isn’t misaligned or something. I guess I’ve never had a two door car before, so I wasn’t aware beforehand that those types of cars can actually push//tilt the seat back far enough to actually make contact with the side panels.
The seat module is miscalibrated. It should NEVER touch the rear side panel.

V7Sport (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The seat module is miscalibrated. It should NEVER touch the rear side panel.
is that a common issue then? Because I found a used replacement part on eBay for the rear quarter driver side panel. And it looks like it has the same scuff/rub marks from the seat digging into it.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:26 AM

is that a common issue then? Because I found a used replacement part on eBay for the rear quarter driver side panel. And it looks like it has the same scuff/rub marks from the seat digging into it.

and I've seen way worse than that. @Cee Jay I suspect it's possible even with the seat module calibrated, if you recline the seat back excessively. You know, how young folks like to drive like they're lying down...

Old 08-31-2023, 09:31 AM

and I've seen way worse than that. @Cee Jay I suspect it's possible even with the seat module calibrated, if you recline the seat back excessively. You know, how young folks like to drive like they're lying down...
lol. That’s funny. I am on the younger side and I know what you mean because my friends do that in their cars. But I actually like to be sitting up straight for the most part. But I do have decently long legs, so I usually put the seat as far back as it goes in most cars. So that’s how I saw it happen in mine when I first got it. But I don’t recline it at that angle typically. But I have the scuffs from whomever had the car before me.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

My seats don't get within an inch at maximum back. My son's XKR has those same scuff marks from reclining too far so I reflashed that module and now his doesn't touch either. His PAX seat does, but that module is messed up.

Trying to recline the backrest more with the seat full rearwards causes the entire seat to move itself forward as to avoid contact.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:45 AM

My seats don't get within an inch at maximum back. My son's XKR has those same scuff marks from reclining too far so I reflashed that module and now his doesn't touch either. His PAX seat does, but that module is messed up.

Trying to recline the backrest more with the seat full rearwards causes the entire seat to move itself forward as to avoid contact.

mmm. Interesting. Thank you. Do you know what tools, files, and software I need to perform the flash. I’m sorry, I’m somewhat familiar with the ability to flash for things like dyno tuning and so forth. But I’ve never actually done anything like that or know how the process technically works.

Cee Jay (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

mmm. Interesting. Thank you. Do you know what tools, files, and software I need to perform the flash. I’m sorry, I’m somewhat familiar with the ability to flash for things like dyno tuning and so forth. But I’ve never actually done anything like that or know how the process technically works.
I'm nowhere near competent with SDD but I can usually muddle my way through. It's under "Recommendations" or something like that.
You'd be much better off asking for someone else's help as I would search and poke around until I eventually found it.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:56 AM

I'm nowhere near competent with SDD but I can usually muddle my way through. It's under "Recommendations" or something like that.
You'd be much better off asking for someone else's help as I would search and poke around until I eventually found it.
I appreciate it man.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:09 AM

Wow that's really interesting. What is this 'reflash'?

Old 08-31-2023, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Wow that's really interesting. What is this 'reflash'?
Reinstall the appropriate firmware onto any selected module. The newest available version of the firmware is installed, depending upon what version of SDD you have and if it's the Online Subscription version or whatever is already on SDD when accomplished.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:51 PM
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Shoot. Mine has scuff marks too. Thankfully, not as bad as some have reported, but still. I assumed that it was a design flaw that the execs deemed was too expensive to be worth fixing. Now I know otherwise. Just another stone on the scales for the value of investing in the SDD setup, I guess.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Received 338 Likes on 205 Posts

As CeeJay mentions, SDD has a seat calibration selection in the menus. I’m sure find the how-to in this forum. I’m not proficient in SDD either but was able to re-calibrate the seats without too much fumbling.
I think some of the Autel OBD tools for JLR also support seat calibration and are likely easier to use and cheaper (and much less capable, of course) than getting a full SDD setup. Additional info can be found in a forum search.