XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear Plastic splash trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Plastic splash trim

Is it possible to stop the rear plastic trim under the car vibrating. A fiend was following me the other day and said is was flapping like it was loose. I have looked under the car but cannot see a way of fixing it. Perhaps a part is missing? Any help please.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

If I think about it I'll take some pics of mine. It has a pair of little threaded plates that 'clip' into the cover and hold it up against the body. Doesn't look like an OEM part but does the job.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear Plastic Splash Trim

Dear Ranchero50,

thanks for replying. Over the weekend I got right under the car to identify the issue. It appears the clips holding the trim in place have broken off, taking part of the plastic trim with it. I suspect this is due to the trim deteriorating due to the heat out here in Abu Dhabi. There are 4 holes in the metal bodywork where the clips appear to have fitted, but over time it looks like the trim has opened up, probably due to pressure and wind. As a fix for others I did the following:-

Drilled 4no. 6mm holes approximately 25mm back from the face of the trim and inline with the position of the original clips.

I then threaded 2 plasticlips through each and reattached the trim up to the metal plate tightly.

Now seems nice and strong and only requires a quick test at speed to see if it has soled the problem without replacing the whole trim - a cheap fix and you would never know there had been a problem.