XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear window of convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 285 Likes on 171 Posts

Strange that Jaguar changed the design from the X100 to the X150. I have never heard of even one problem on the X100 design which appears to have a thick gasket integrated all the way around the perimeter of the glass.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Update on 5200 repair

Update,

So after 48 hours I put a piece of lo-tack carpet tape over each of the two repairs, just enough to hold the fabric in place over the glass and I put the top down and stored. In this position there is no tension on the fabric.

After 6 days, I put the top up and easily removed the carpet tape. We are still one day away from full cure but I can see that this joint has now set firmly.

Looking at my repair, the bottom joint is not visible. The top joint is, but only due to the distortion of the fabric during the time that the joint was separated, otherwise it is definitely bonded.

Right now it looks great and feels solid. I will update should anything change but I am confident that this is the way to go with these repairs. I am not expecting this joint to fail, and this 5200 material is most definitely tough!

Hope this helps someone!

Phil

The following 2 users liked this post by philbone:
7500ftJagGuy (09-10-2021), richzak (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by philbone
Update,

So after 48 hours I put a piece of lo-tack carpet tape over each of the two repairs, just enough to hold the fabric in place over the glass and I put the top down and stored. In this position there is no tension on the fabric.

After 6 days, I put the top up and easily removed the carpet tape. We are still one day away from full cure but I can see that this joint has now set firmly.

Looking at my repair, the bottom joint is not visible. The top joint is, but only due to the distortion of the fabric during the time that the joint was separated, otherwise it is definitely bonded.

Right now it looks great and feels solid. I will update should anything change but I am confident that this is the way to go with these repairs. I am not expecting this joint to fail, and this 5200 material is most definitely tough!

Hope this helps someone!

Phil
Great job and thanks for the heads up on the 3m Marine 5200 product. If I ever need to fix my window, I will use the 3M product.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I took mine to a Speedy Auto Glass guy who had experience with this particular repair. Had to leave it with him for two days to allow the glue to cure properly. He said the problem is that the top material shrinks over the years,, therefore, there's less material to cover the window's edge, so it will never be as strong as the original factory job. Having said that, he also adds that he's never had anyone bring their car back for subsequent repair.

So far, so good.

He used these suction clamps in the process. (pics are from the internet, not my car)

Attached Thumbnails Rear window of convertible-gunson-77801.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

This is a pic taken during the curing process, showing the aforementioned suction clamps and simple paint stir sticks that Home Depot gave me for free. After 24 hours, the window was like factory installed.

Attached Thumbnails Rear window of convertible-image.jpeg  

Last edited by ndy.boyd; 08-24-2016 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndy.boyd:
Deabs (06-20-2022), jwooky (08-24-2016)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 XK Convertible Rear Window fall out

Hi Syd
Any idea what adhesive was used by Speedy Auto Glass?
Or do any of the Aussies happen to know a Melbourne shop that might be able to do this repair?

Was the original adhesive cleaned off the glass? I presume it is impossible to get adhesive off the top fabric.

Last edited by XK Steve; 12-30-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added to
Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,390 Likes on 3,501 Posts

Steve,

See this thread, starting with my post #104, for details and pix of how to fix the separating rear window using Suck N Clamps and Rhino Glue. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-97478/page6/

My first attempt with 3M adhesive failed after a short time, but the Rhino Glue is still holding. It's an easy, inexpensive DIY fix.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
XK Steve (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You Stuart - that's very helpful!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by XK Steve; 01-02-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Steve,

See this thread, starting with my post #104, for details and pix of how to fix the separating rear window using Suck N Clamps and Rhino Glue. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-97478/page6/

My first attempt with 3M adhesive failed after a short time, but the Rhino Glue is still holding. It's an easy, inexpensive DIY fix.

Stuart
Hey Stuart

Fast forward from when you posted your window repair. How is it holding up these days? I'm about to visit this project.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I hope I don't have this issue come up.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hey Stuart

Fast forward from when you posted your window repair. How is it holding up these days? I'm about to visit this project.
My repair using Rhino Glue and Suck N Clamps is still holding, and the top has been down and up more times than I can remember. I always put the top up when I park in my garage to keep the fabric stretched and crease-free.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

My repair using Rhino Glue and Suck N Clamps is still holding, and the top has been down and up more times than I can remember. I always put the top up when I park in my garage to keep the fabric stretched and crease-free.
That's great news! I may have missed this, did you "relax" your top? My thoughts were not to do this. The thought being, the additional stress (stretching shrinkage) would do more harm than good. Yeah, this is a winter project while I have the RV parked in the driveway and I can't move garage toys anyway.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
That's great news! I may have missed this, did you "relax" your top? My thoughts were not to do this. The thought being, the additional stress (stretching shrinkage) would do more harm than good. Yeah, this is a winter project while I have the RV parked in the driveway and I can't move garage toys anyway.
Not sure if you mean relax during repair or relax all the time. Since the top is stretched pretty tight when up I couldn't line up the window and fabric easily without "relaxing" the top with a small fir wood strip. I didn't want too much relaxation, the piece of wood below was just right! This is in the thread Stuart referenced also:

Old 12-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

There was little, if any, shrinkage of my canvas top when it separated from the glass, so I did my repair with the top up. I suspect that the top is less likely to shrink if it's kept up as much as possible since it's taut. It's more likely to shrink when it's down and slack.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

There was little, if any, shrinkage of my canvas top when it separated from the glass, so I did my repair with the top up. I suspect that the top is less likely to shrink if it's kept up as much as possible since it's taut. It's more likely to shrink when it's down and slack.
OK, my reference to "relaxed" pertained to taking the tension of the top, thus, off the rear window and surrounding fabric. My thoughts now, are to leave the top up and locked. Then, proceed. At the moment, I see the glass has pulled away from the fabric only a small bit. Therefore, my plan, is to place a swim noodle inside to support the fabric and glass, apply the taping per your comments and cleaning etc.Then, apply the Rhino, see what happens. Will document and report my findings for those to follow. Thanks Stewart!

Old 12-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI - I performed "Stewart's" fix back in April. To date, still holding strong. The top has been up and down numerous times with no issues. For what it's worth, I performed the procedure with the top up and fully closed. I can't say enough about that Rhino glue. i have used it in many other applications since the Jag. Very impressive stuff!

The only issue I have now is that on the inside of the car, it seems the interior fabric around the window is held with some type of velcro which has pulled away a bit. The only way that I can figure out how to re-attache this velcro seal would be to lower the top half-way and apply pressure from the inside of the glass and the outside of the glass at the same time. I just haven't had the time to try it yet.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jeffu
FYI - I performed "Stewart's" fix back in April. To date, still holding strong. The top has been up and down numerous times with no issues. For what it's worth, I performed the procedure with the top up and fully closed. I can't say enough about that Rhino glue. i have used it in many other applications since the Jag. Very impressive stuff!

The only issue I have now is that on the inside of the car, it seems the interior fabric around the window is held with some type of velcro which has pulled away a bit. The only way that I can figure out how to re-attache this velcro seal would be to lower the top half-way and apply pressure from the inside of the glass and the outside of the glass at the same time. I just haven't had the time to try it yet.

Thanks for your helpful experience. I appreciate it.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi there,
I just bought a 2010 XKR with the same rear window issue.

So how did you intention the convertible top to do this? Will the car lock so that the battery will not drain?

Old 06-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

I, for one, don't understand your question. Locking and battery has nothing to do with this fix. It's glue, Clampits a bit of wood strips and cleaning the glass.

Quick Reply: Rear window of convertible