XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear window of convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by JAL
Yes the convert tops are very expensive...$3500 is what I was quoted. So I am going to at least give this a try!

Yes, the pricing seems dependent on the geographical location within the US. Here in Southern New Mexico along the border a person can have a new top
installed for as little as $1000 regardless of brand name. To the installers its about the top not the name of the car. The Hispanic upholsterers are absolutely fantastic in workmanship.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

That is a great deal! When my top finally is looking too long in the tooth, I will give that a try.

On another note, I was thinking of trying Shout or Oxy clean on a few headliner stains. Any thoughts?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

If you spot clean your headliner, it might look uneven and awful. I would clean the entire headliner.

Last edited by Stuart S; 07-21-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I agree with Stuart.
I would use a mild detergent for laundry and completely clean, as mentioned above; the entire headliner. Oxy Clean is a powerful cleaning agent that may discolor the headliner and show spots where cleaned as compared to the other portions of fabric.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:40 PM

Good point. When I'm ready I'll do the entire thing with Woolite or some gentle detergent.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to reglue the window, within 6 months it was toast.Had new Gaah top installed for $2200.00 otd.
Now my top wont latch! Always something.Lol

Old 07-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Well, I did the right side corner. A little bit neater job this time. Time will tell if this method holds up. Fingers crossed.

Pardon the garage mess.

This is the "After" photo. Glued the right lower corner and half way up the side.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Mine had separated in short runs on the right, left and along the bottom. Therefore, am glad I caught it before it really got bad. I elected to repair it in the top up mode. To support the bottom edge of the glass, I place a swim noodle between the glass and the top storage cover. It added good support when scrapping and cleaning the glass. Also, kept a Vac running as I cleaned to collect all of the bits. I let it cure for 3-4 days before I put the top down, after 6-8 months, so far so good.

The following users liked this post:
NikiJ (01-28-2024)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Budster
Well, I did the right side corner. A little bit neater job this time. Time will tell if this method holds up. Fingers crossed.

Pardon the garage mess.

This is the "After" photo. Glued the right lower corner and half way up the side.
Budster,
You can uncross your fingers, as time spares no top. It's just a question of when the factory adhesive will dry out enough to fail. Since it's already started, it's a foregone conclusion. But you're in good shape because you can check it daily and re-glue it before it shrinks.
Stuart

Old 07-28-2020, 09:43 AM

Good to know. Speaking of keeping the top clean, I noticed that after I fold the top down, when I put it back up it's quite dusty from being folded. Is there a good way to clean out the compartment to help keep the top clean?

Old 07-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

I use a lint roller to keep my black top clean and a cordless hand-held vacuum to keep the compartment clean. Always put the top up whenever you're not driving to keep it from getting permanent fold marks and creases

The following users liked this post:
RedRider48 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 06:34 PM

Thanks Stuart. I'm sure I can get one on Amazon.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow! That’s something I wish you

Originally Posted by carlprs
Has anyone ever had a problem with the rear window seperating from the cloth on a convertable top? The '08 XKR I bought has this leak. The dealership is having a new top put on at no cost.

where can I get one?t and I see your pronto. If

Old 08-08-2021, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

You're in Tampa. I suggest that you Google "Tampa FL convertible top replacement". This map shows that you have many choices. Call them and get price quotes and references. Then Google your top 3 finalists for customer reviews and decide. You should be able to get a quality replacement top installed for less than $2,500.
Good luck!

Old 08-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You're in Tampa. I suggest that you Google "Tampa FL convertible top replacement". This map shows that you have many choices. Call them and get price quotes and references. Then Google your top 3 finalists for customer reviews and decide. You should be able to get a quality replacement top installed for less than $2,500.
Good luck!

looks legit seller and 5 star quality.
thanks Stuart S. I did rhino glue with tent repair compound on top so there’s the reason why the roof repair didn’t last just as you said it wouldn’t in same thread months ago. . I appreciate your info and this time, I plan to do exactly as you say. The general info you also referenced within last day (see above) about the kit for the repair To backseat driver side retractable part for convertible top (just in hopes of being clear) seems to run $250. Does that sound about right? . Many aren’t available and sold out. Have you found the convertible top sold on eBay?? I mean one that actually works, warranties and legit quality??? Here’s one I found and looking for input on seller merchant or product. I have no review of the link merchant nor am I a paid party to link this.

To clarify my post, I have edited given the feedback from StuartS. I sincerely appreciate his input, expertise and fast replies. I did not mean to infer otherwise. I apologize. As a result, I want to make sure everyone in forum who reads this acknowledges that I am speaking for myself asking for input from readers. This post has b no affiliation with any forum user. I am not quoting any person or claiming the link is valid or positively reviewed. I have no knowledge of either.
Have a great evening and week ahead.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XK-X...-127632-2357-0

Last edited by Savitt1; 08-08-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Savitt1
... The kit you sent runs $250. Many aren’t available and sold out. Have you found the convertible top on eBay one that works and legit quality. ...
Do you have me confused with someone else? I don't know what you're talking about. I never sent a kit to you or looked for a replacement top on Ebay or anywhere else. What was in that kit?

P.S. You quoted me and then edited what I wrote by adding "looks legit seller and 5 star quality." You shouldn't have done that as that's not what I wrote.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-08-2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Do you have me confused with someone else? I don't know what you're talking about. I never sent a kit to you or looked for a replacement top on Ebay or anywhere else. What was in that kit?

P.S. You quoted me and then edited what I wrote by adding "looks legit seller and 5 star quality." You shouldn't have done that as that's not what I wrote.
. And I didn’t quote you for saying the 5star. I asked if it looked legit as it had 5 stars. Just giving thanks.I know you didn’t send a kit or eBay item. I’m asking the forum if the kit should run around $250 if found and if anyone has ever bought a convertible top from eBay and I attached the merchant website. So no I’m not confused

Old 08-09-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification and apology. Your apology wasn't necessary because you didn't intend to offend me or anyone else.

I know you thought that what you wrote is what you meant, but what I read wasn't what you intended.

For example, compare "Let's eat Grandma!" and "Let's eat, Grandma!" Saved by a comma.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm the original owner of a 07 XKR convertible with 48,000 miles.
The car has always been garaged and maybe been in the elements only a few times.
After 7 years (2013) the glass totally separated from the exterior top, not the liner.
"American Auto Trim" in Ft. Lauderdale replaced the: Top, with Labor, Parts, $1500.00
4 weeks ago, after being outside for 3 days at the airport, on the way home, the glass separated on the current top. (Got 8 years out of this one)
After talking to the manager at the shop, he says even though garaged etc, over time the top shrinks and pulls away from the glass, so it looks like it eventually is always going to happen.
Fortunately as someone in a previous post mentioned, these after market tops come with a LIFETIME glass warranty...
Just emailed him pictures to save me the time of driving there and he's taking care of all the paperwork..
Looks like maybe $500 out of pocket for the installation of the new top, but will be a big plus if I decided to sell later on having the paperwork with warranty.
Hope this helps as I was looking at this thread and going to try to repair it myself until I found out it had a Lifetime warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeInBoca:
arenaej (12-15-2021), ralphwg (10-31-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be attempting the Rhino Glue repair at some point soon, a previous owner of my car did a bit of a hacky repair and sewed in a tinted plastic window within the original glass opening. Fortunately it doesn't leak! The glass window is still there but not well secured and it buffets at high speeds with the top up. Probably a good one to do while the car is sitting in heated storage for the winter, plenty of cure time!

Quick Reply: Rear window of convertible