XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear window of convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 06:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on choice of rear window repair please

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Steve,

See this thread, starting with my post #104, for details and pix of how to fix the separating rear window using Suck N Clamps and Rhino Glue. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-97478/page6/

My first attempt with 3M adhesive failed after a short time, but the Rhino Glue is still holding. It's an easy, inexpensive DIY fix.

Stuart
Dear Stuart, my soft top in 5 years old but the rear Window is already separating at the top. Australia is hot and a jag convertible probably more suited for a European climate. It looks like the chances of a successful repair is dependent on the adhesive used and the meticulousness of the bonding process. I found a guy in Sydney who told me :

We do a lot of these and need the car here for 5 days as we re-bond the whole glass back in and the process is done in stages with drying time needed in between. Providing no-one has tried to glue it before we offer a 12 month guarantee on the bond and the cost is $1650. We will not use the method in the jaguar TSB or glue. We have been repairing these for
over 10 years and can guarantee this method will fail or the areas next to
it will fail afterwards. We need to strip the glass out and remove all the
original glue which softens at around 60 degrees hence why its an issue in
Australia”

Although this is quite expensive, it just give me another 5 years which will still be worthwhile. Please may I ask your advice? Cheers Stuart. Roger

Rear window

Separating at the top on the inside

Only 5 years old and an original jaguar soft top

Old 02-27-2022, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Roger,
You posted the same question in two separate threads, and I replied in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-97478/page17/

Below is my previous reply.
Roger,
That AU$1,650 cost to reattach your rear glass seems to be outrageously high. What would it cost to replace the top?

A US manufacturer, GAHH, sells excellent quality replacement tops for X150 models, and I believe they ship worldwide. See my Post #2 in this thread and the links therein:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-252739/

You might be better off putting that repair money towards a new top.

Stuart

Old 03-01-2022, 05:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry about I over thinking the problem, it won't happen again.

Last edited by ClayAK; 03-02-2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Sorry about I over thinking the problem, it won't happen again
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ClayAK
I went to an internet search. The below site is full of advertisements but has some useful information.

https://gluefaq.com/best-glue-for-glass/

‘Best’ recommended glues:
1. Loctite Glass Glue
2. Glue Masters Professional Grade Cyanoacrylate
3. Gorilla Super Glue Gel – for Broken Glass
4. E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
5. Elmer’s China & Glass Cement
6. Nano470 Construction Glass Glue – Waterproof Glue for Glass
7. J-B Weld 31310 Clear ll-Purpose RTV Silicone Sealant

From the article: “Regardless of which type of glass or glue you are working with, you will likely have to follow roughly the same steps. First, you need to clean the glass. Wipe it down well and remove any debris or residue from the surface. Once this is completed, try to sand or abrade the glass slightly to give the glue something to latch onto. Perfectly smooth surfaces will not adhere as well and will increase the risk of the bond failing so while not required, this step is extremely recommended if possible. Wipe away any dust that is kicked up from the process.”

My thought: Maybe use of Dremel rotary abrasive tool will abrade the smooth surface enough to provide satisfactory holding power. I wouldn’t think you’re going to damage the glass any using this abrasive tool.

Doesn't seems like there's a lot to lose abrading the glass and then glueing it yourself. It’s either the above or just go out and spend the $2-5K for a new top. Fortunately my 2007 XK Convertible rear window is still holding together. But maybe I've jinxed myself now.
brilliant thanks Clay. What glue did you use please mate? R

Old 03-01-2022, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Clay,

You're overthinking this repair. My rear glass is still holding, and I didn't go to anywhere near the effort to prep the surfaces, mask, apply the Rhino Glue, and use the Suck N Clamps to hold everything in place. It requires no special skills and cost well under $100. Many other Forum members have had similar success. Detailed instructions with photos are in this thread. Why reinvent the wheel?

But it's your car, your money, and your choice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Stuart

Old 03-01-2022, 09:11 PM

Clay,

You're overthinking this repair. My rear glass is still holding, and I didn't go to anywhere near the effort to prep the surfaces, mask, apply the Rhino Glue, and use the Suck N Clamps to hold everything in place. It requires no special skills and cost well under $100. Many other Forum members have had similar success. Detailed instructions with photos are in this thread. Why reinvent the wheel?

But it's your car, your money, and your choice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Stuart
thanks Stuart. The glue has failed on the inside top of the rear window. Any suggestions on how I can secure those two edges together once glued pleased? Is there a specific type of clamp you would advise I use? Thanks very much.

R

Old 03-01-2022, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by RChatoor
thanks Stuart. The glue has failed on the inside top of the rear window. Any suggestions on how I can secure those two edges together once glued pleased? Is there a specific type of clamp you would advise I use? Thanks very much.

R
By the way Stu - I tried to reinvent the wheel but kept going around in circles 😁

Old 03-02-2022, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Clay,

You're overthinking this repair. My rear glass is still holding, and I didn't go to anywhere near the effort to prep the surfaces, mask, apply the Rhino Glue, and use the Suck N Clamps to hold everything in place. It requires no special skills and cost well under $100. Many other Forum members have had similar success. Detailed instructions with photos are in this thread. Why reinvent the wheel.

Stuart
Originally Posted by RChatoor

R
R,
Yes, there is a specific type of clamp.

If the student failed to learn, the teacher failed to teach. I learned that many years ago in basic training as a US Army officer.
Let's try again.

Step 1. Read this entire thread from the beginning.
Step 2. Repeat Step 1.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how long did the glue hold for you?

Old 06-18-2022, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

How long?.....It's been a couple of years, I guess. I followed "Stuarts" lead. The top has been raised and lowered many times. Mine was separating at the bottom and up the sides a couple inches in my case.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by tampamark
Not sure if you mean relax during repair or relax all the time. Since the top is stretched pretty tight when up I couldn't line up the window and fabric easily without "relaxing" the top with a small fir wood strip. I didn't want too much relaxation, the piece of wood below was just right! This is in the thread Stuart referenced also:

tampamark, how long did the glue hold for you?

Old 06-18-2022, 10:01 AM

I just have to say, it is so wonderful that everyone took the time to share their knowledge to help everyone. Each of the postings had something different that helped to remove the clouds and at the end of the postings, it gives comfort to novices that we can do it and if we have issues, this group will rally around to help figure it out. It is such a rarity in todays world. Thank you all.

Stuart S (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Note that there are two similar threads that discuss the separation of the convertible top rear glass, with some duplication.

This thread was started in 2014. The other thread, which was started in 2013, is here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ble-top-97478/

Old 06-18-2022, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

At the top of this Forum are "Sticky" Threads. Open the Sticky titled "How To / DIY Repair & Maintenance", and scroll down to "3. CONVERTIBLE TOP Rear Window - Repair" and click on the link for all you need to know.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this still holding?

Old 07-07-2022, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

I followed Stuart's advice and instructions. It's been a couple of years now. It's still holding for me.

Last edited by RedRider48; 07-07-2022 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Stuart S (07-07-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 07:27 AM
Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine separated 2 years ago. I went the window suckers and JB Weld route along the bottom which went first, then along the side and top which went shortly after.

No problems since, solid as a rock.

I now use JB Weld for everything it's even remotely suitable for! Best glue/epoxy I've ever used.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3M adhesive

The shop I used in Houston used the 3m products and I owned the 2007 XK car about a year afterwards and it never detached while I owned it. I traded it for a 2010 Range Rover Sport but about a year ago I traded the Sport for a 2010 XK coupe, no more convertible tops for me