XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear window regulator

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window regulator

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Convertible. Unfortunately the rear near side window is not closing. I can hear some noise but the window is not raising. I assume the regulator is faulty. I can’t find any regulators on line or any repair kits available. I have seen repair kits for x100s. I was wondering if that would work? Or has anyone any ideas before I send it to the garage.
I have tried a reset.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Madness
Hi all,

I have a 2008 Convertible. Unfortunately the rear near side window is not closing. I can hear some noise but the window is not raising. I assume the regulator is faulty. I can’t find any regulators on line or any repair kits available. I have seen repair kits for x100s. I was wondering if that would work? Or has anyone any ideas before I send it to the garage.
I have tried a reset.
There’s a company, I think in FL, that does rebuilds. A few members here have used it. Basically, you take out yours, ship it to them, they rebuild it and send it back. Search the threads here, you should be able to find them (IIRC they sell the service on eBay).

edit: Here’s a thread about it (there’s also a place in the UK that does it, for those on that side of the pond, read the thread):

Window regulator thread

Last edited by kj07xk; Yesterday at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bgpenguin21 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Thanks for that. I am in the UK so the link to the refurb company in Northern England looks very promising.

Old Today, 05:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had this problem a couple of years ago, the noise you can hear is the cables which will have come off the pulleys and are still being driven the regulator motor and gearbox.
Most of the time and trouble will be to remove the regulator and window, I can confirm that if you repair it yourself that the Xk8 kits on eBay for example are identical to the cables and main drive pulley from the Xk 4.2 convertible.
I'm also from the UK and the replacement parts are still working perfectly 2 years later, as a aside the original cables were not frayed or broken but had appeared to come off the pulleys due lack of lubrication on the pressed steel regulator guide rail, I made sure this was thoroughly greased on assembly.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (Today)
Old Today, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Paws4thought
I also had this problem a couple of years ago, the noise you can hear is the cables which will have come off the pulleys and are still being driven the regulator motor and gearbox.
Most of the time and trouble will be to remove the regulator and window, I can confirm that if you repair it yourself that the Xk8 kits on eBay for example are identical to the cables and main drive pulley from the Xk 4.2 convertible.
I'm also from the UK and the replacement parts are still working perfectly 2 years later, as a aside the original cables were not frayed or broken but had appeared to come off the pulleys due lack of lubrication on the pressed steel regulator guide rail, I made sure this was thoroughly greased on assembly.

Paul
Thanks for that Paul. From what you say it sounds like mine have slipped off. I remember I had to park on quite a high kerb and then closed the hood. Maybe the angle that the car was at caused the belts to come off?
Thanks for the information about the repair kit. I will purchase one and hand it over to my garage. I don’t fancy that job! I will ask them to make sure it is greased.
The car has only done 35k miles so maybe lack of use might be a factor also.
Thanks for your advice

Andrew

Old Today, 10:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to be of help Andrew, my window wouldn't raise when dropping the hood the first time use after winter, I don't blame you leaving this job to a mechanic it took me 2 days in total to complete.
Also this led to the battery discharging so far it was ruined, due to leaving the hood down and the car unlocked, a battery maintainer is essential for this reason.
These is a video on YouTube explaining how to assemble the kit on a xk8, this is not obvious looking at the assembly due to the cables not being in place when you have taken the regulator out of the car.
Alternatively there is a regulator and glass on eBay UK for £329 part no C2P24321.

Paul