XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Recommendations for OBD II readers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Unfortunately, it has to read through every module before it will give you real time info, and that takes about 3-4 minutes. But once it's done, you can see live data from every module in the car.
You can select just one module rather than do a complete auto scan.

As you go through the menus just choose Control Unit rather than Auto Scan:

Then select the PCM:

Then select Live Data:

And you are there:

I don't like that you can't create dashboards so I use other apps for that although they don't have access to so many metrics.

The following users liked this post:
Reverend Sam (02-09-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by munkizunkl
http://britishdiagnostics.co.uk/
Software is on a virtual machine and installs on a Windows laptop. For X150 does everything the factory unit does including subroutines to reset windows, seats etc.
Hi Monkeys Uncle from up the road in Brissy!
Have you used British Diagnostics V130 product with good success so far??
I've just semi retired recently and am looking beyond the bluetooth/wifi iPhone connect basics form CarScanner to be able to read/clear and adjust parameters with my 97 XK8 Coupe. Are you happy with this unit and their delivery/support??
Also was there much of an issue setting up a Virtual Machine in your Windows 10 which I presume you would have to have doen to support the product?
Appreciate any thoughts
Cheers
Dave

Old 07-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I'd completely avoid anything that British Diagnostics sells. They are all clones of clones with bootleg software. Also, the BD setup has been known to do weird things to the cars to which it has been connected. I'd CERTAINLY not try to program/flash any modules nor mess with the CCF with their kit. KABLOOEY and there goes $50k worth of car.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I'd completely avoid anything that British Diagnostics sells. They are all clones of clones with bootleg software. Also, the BD setup has been known to do weird things to the cars to which it has been connected. I'd CERTAINLY not try to program/flash any modules nor mess with the CCF with their kit. KABLOOEY and there goes $50k worth of car.
Thanks Cee Jay
Appreciate the honest response.....which begs the question what is your 'weapon of choice' though I see you're sporting an X150 but if you have experience in this area I'm open to recommendations. I've also been looking at Autoenginuity's products but user feedback is everything!
I would dearly like to be able to alter basic parameters in certain modules (e.g. up HVAC fan speed if I add a cabin filter, exercise the ABS when I do a brake bleed etc. etc.) as well as diagnose DTCs as and when they occur. At the moment with my $20 ELM327 bluetooth module and iPhone 6 I have no Jag specifics!
Cheers from across the Pacific
Dave

Old 07-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BWFC58
Thanks Cee Jay
Appreciate the honest response.....which begs the question what is your 'weapon of choice' though I see you're sporting an X150 but if you have experience in this area I'm open to recommendations. I've also been looking at Autoenginuity's products but user feedback is everything!
I would dearly like to be able to alter basic parameters in certain modules (e.g. up HVAC fan speed if I add a cabin filter, exercise the ABS when I do a brake bleed etc. etc.) as well as diagnose DTCs as and when they occur. At the moment with my $20 ELM327 bluetooth module and iPhone 6 I have no Jag specifics!
Cheers from across the Pacific
Dave
I had an XK8 prior to purchasing my XKR, and the XK8 was the reason I wanted another, newer Jaguar. I got my SDD setup after I sold the XK8 however, so I have no direct XK8 to SDD experience.
I do have a Jaguar-Approved DA Dongle, which is a less expensive option to a Mongoose cable. While it was still fairly expensive, still less than half the cost of a Mongoose. It's worked flawlessly.
While I don't have a subscription to SDD, I do have a copy of a registered version, and a couple tweaks to keep it alive without internet (which would overwrite my tweaks and make it fail) on an old stand-alone laptop dedicated to SDD.
I also have a Bluetooth interface for the Torque App, which I use constantly as it's permanently feeding data to my dash TSD, virtual gauges and such. I've used the Bluetooth with Torque for doing a quick fault code check to get me thinking in the right area, then if needed I'll fire up the SDD and take a better look around stuff. Plus, I've reflashed several modules and modified the Car Configuration File a few times.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

CeeJay, is this the dongle we should get? And after we get that where is a good place to get the SDD program? I want to use it to calibrate my seats because my son broke it again and I don't want to pay over and over to get them to reset it. I also have a a Range Rover and would like to use it for diagnostics on that.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-4742-...and+Rover.html

Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by robbing
CeeJay, is this the dongle we should get? And after we get that where is a good place to get the SDD program? I want to use it to calibrate my seats because my son broke it again and I don't want to pay over and over to get them to reset it. I also have a a Range Rover and would like to use it for diagnostics on that.

That sure looks like it, a product of Diagnostic Associates. I paid just a couple bucks more for mine directly from Diagnostic - Associates dot Com, but their price has gone way up since.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

What about the SDD? For my BMW I use ISTA which is awesome but you have to find it from the right place to download it. It's free but a bit scary when you're plugging something into your car and you don't really know where it came from.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
It's already been done for you guys with 2010 onward. You just need to apply it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/

Thanks also for linking to this, hadn't seen it before. Just installed the PID's and it works great with my $9.99 ELM327 Norsway unit purchased from Amazon a long time back.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Thanks also for linking to this, hadn't seen it before. Just installed the PID's and it works great with my $9.99 ELM327 Norsway unit purchased from Amazon a long time back.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 07-16-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: .xls didn't translate well
Old 07-17-2020, 01:46 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by robbing

I'm pretty sure it's a fake, cheap copy!
If not and it's confirmed no chinese copy, I might buy one!:-)

Last edited by peterv8; 07-17-2020 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD II reader + app (iPhone)

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 xkr75, I also found it frustrating with the lack of dials/info whilst driving - specifically I wanted to know oil pressure and voltage + engine temp... so I could drive with spirit ASAP... I also didn’t want any lag that is common through Bluetooth so I went for a Wi-fi variant OBD II reader and app from OBD link... works wry well on my iPhone.

However, also bought DashCmd. It has a better dashboard setup (for me)... except that, on more than one occasion, the car has reacted to that setup (app). The car cuts out. Loss of engine, alarms going off, no brakes, no power steering, nothing. Not even able to activate hazard warning lights. Very scary and lucky I wasn’t on the motorway or haring down a twisty road. So, OBD link - good, dashcmd - bad.