XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Recommended DIY Maintenance VS Mechanic (2010 XKR)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 06:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recommended DIY Maintenance VS Mechanic (2010 XKR)

Looking to get opinions on which regular maintenance tasks are typically simple enough and pretty foolproof on a 2010 XKR vs ones that are either more more effort and headache and/or just better off letting a mechanic do. Here’s my list from what I’ve gathered. Olease correct me if it seems some are under the wrong category, or if there’s any I’m missing.

DIY:
Engine oil change (pretty much take out and replace filter with 15 flute cap remover and 3/8 drive ratchet, replace filter, siphon out oil from top with a manual pump, then add new oil, let engine sit for a while, and do that weird button combination hold in the dashboard area to reset the oil maintenance indicator).

Power Steering Fluid (twist open the cap siphon out old oil with large syringe or other pump, pour new oil in, turn in car and rotate steering wheel to the ends both ways a bunch of times, go pump out oil again with syringe and check the visual clarity/color, if all is well, then you’re done, otherwise repeat the process with new oil until clear).

Cabin Filter (remove cover in upper left section of bay, push hose line aside and pop open the air filter compartment, and remove air filter/replace, then close everything up).

Mechanic:
Supercharger Oil Change: (easy to do on the 4.2L engines, but not the 5.0? Because apparently on the 5.0’s they annoyingly placed the oil plug/hole in the backside of the supercharger, making it nearly impossible to access unless you completely remove the supercharger? Has anyone with medium to small hands been able to accomplish this oil change without removing the supercharger in a 5.0?)

FULL Coolant Flush: (Easy enough do on just the front radiator, but I believe there are two other sections under the vehicle where you are supposed to drain yhe coolant if you are attempting to accomplish a true and complete coolant flush? Apparently it might just be easier to have a mechanic do the whole thing? IDK since you need to jack up the car to access the plugs if you’re bot only doing the radiator plug?)

Transmission Oil Change (this one I actually don’t know too much about what’s involved, but I’m guessing if I thought it was a good idea to just let a mechanic take care of the full coolant flush, then I’m probably not going to like doing the transmission oil change either? Let me know if it’s almost as easy as the engine oil change process or not).

Engine Air Filter (this one seems easy enough if you’re able to just turn the driver side front wheel all the way to the right for the angle so you can reach into the housing and take out the filter/replace it. But others said you have to take the wheel off completely to be able to get enough space to access the filter? Anyone able to do it by just turning the wheel out if the way enough?).

Well, aside from windshield fluid lol, are there any other regular maintenance items I missed? I got the car used at 65,000 miles and the dealer already replaced the compressor for me because the A/C wasn’t cold (now it is). But it made me think “I better just give everything a fresh start”. I guess brake fluid maybe? But the brakes were replaced about 10,000 miles ago according to CarFax.

Last edited by Jaaaaaaaaaaag; 07-29-2023 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ExKayRick (07-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 244 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaaaaaag
Supercharger Oil Change: (easy to do on the 4.2L engines, but not the 5.0? Because apparently on the 5.0’s they annoyingly placed the oil plug/hole in the backside of the supercharger, making it nearly impossible to access unless you completely remove the supercharger? Has anyone with medium to small hands been able to accomplish this oil change without removing the supercharger in a 5.0?)
There's a thread on here by someone who has done the supercharger oil on a 5.0 without removing the supercharger, with pictures. It looks seriously tricky, though.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

...................Engine Air Filter (this one seems easy enough if you’re able to just turn the driver side front wheel all the way to the right for the angle so you can reach into the housing and take out the filter/replace it. But others said you have to take the wheel off completely to be able to get enough space to access the filter? Anyone able to do it by just turning the wheel out if the way enough?).................
I've only turned the wheels and removed like six screws per side and folded the liners back and the air boxes are right there in your face. I tried both turning IN (per side) and turning OUT, but I can't remember which way was a bit easier. I think OUT was the best as it gives more room in the wheel well.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by justinhill
There's a thread on here by someone who has done the supercharger oil on a 5.0 without removing the supercharger, with pictures. It looks seriously tricky, though.
Thank you. Maybe i’ll see what I can do since my glove size is usually men’s medium and my fingers are decently slim. But perhaps the local Jaguar mechanic I’ve heard about could be a better option if I don’t want to start cursing at the car.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I've only turned the wheels and removed like six screws per side and folded the liners back and the air boxes are right there in your face. I tried both turning IN (per side) and turning OUT, but I can't remember which way was a bit easier. I think OUT was the best as it gives more room in the wheel well.
Oh ik that’s good to know. Wait are there filters in both sides or just the driver’s side?

Old 07-29-2023, 09:52 AM
Received 302 Likes on 174 Posts

Transmission fluid/filter service: ZF recommends 8 years/50K miles.
Somewhat more complicated than a "conventional" pan/drain oil change.
Note that fill plug access is a bit more obstructed than the BMW shown in the video.
Otherwise, transmission service is a reasonable for task for a competent shade-tree mechanic.

Last edited by Bill400; 07-29-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 07-29-2023, 10:13 AM

Thank you. Maybe i’ll see what I can do since my glove size is usually men’s medium and my fingers are decently slim. But perhaps the local Jaguar mechanic I’ve heard about could be a better option if I don’t want to start cursing at the car.
I've been pondering on this too and the thing I'm considering is whether, given the car is new to me, getting a grown-up to take the supercharger off mightn't be a bad idea anyway if it provides access to do other things at the same time.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bill400
Transmission fluid/filter service: ZF recommends 8 years/50K miles.
Somewhat more complicated than a "conventional" pan/drain oil change.
Note that fill plug access is a bit more obstructed than the BMW shown in the video.
Otherwise, transmission service is a reasonable for task for a competent shade-tree mechanic.
ZF 8-Speed Transmission Oil Change (BMW, Audi, VW, Dodge, Land Rover, Toyota, & More) - YouTube
If the history of the car is unknown and the mileage is high, is a trans flush a worthwhile job rather than just a fluid change?

Old 07-29-2023, 11:03 AM
Received 302 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhill
If the history of the car is unknown and the mileage is high, is a trans flush a worthwhile job rather than just a fluid change?
Flush implies multiple fluid changes or removing the torque converter.
Or it could involve cycling fluid via the cooler lines.
Point of interest: very early GM torque converters had drain plugs!

There are stories of fresh fluid changing transmission clutch friction characteristics with poor results.
I suspect that the culprit in fluid change failures is the wrong fluid.
Pull the plug to check level. If it's not obviously burned/brown, I'd change.
Heck, I'd change anyway. Otherwise, you're on borrowed time, failure at any time.

More Shade-tree service tasks:

Differential fluid is also a worthwhile shade-tree maintenance task.

CV joint re-greasing is under appreciated.

Brake fluid flush! Our modern brake fluid is hydroscopic. It absorbs moisture. Under varying conditions, the moisture can precipitate and cause corrosion.
Brake fluid flush is one of the easier tasks with very significant impact on service life and safety.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Oh ik that’s good to know. Wait are there filters in both sides or just the driver’s side?
All XKRs = 2, 2010+ XKs also = 2.
Only the non-R 4.2s have one filter.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 619 Likes on 393 Posts

I found it easier to remove the wheel and the wheel arch cover. The filters were really hard to get out the first time, like seized in there. I was around 1 hour per side. Last time the filters came out really easy. One of the screws would not grab on the plastic filter housing. Stuck some small tie wrap pieces down the screw hole and it tightened up nicely.