XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Red warning ⚠

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022 | 12:17 PM
|
Angry Red warning ⚠

Apologies if this has been covered by I couldn't seem to locate it in previous threads. When my 2012 XKR came out of winter hibernation the battery was flat and sadly dead. Once a new one had been fitted everything was hunky dory except that a red triangle appeared on the dash with a warning about pedestrian safety. The car duly went to a Jaguar dealer for a full service and I mentioned this warning symbol. It turns out that there is some sort of sensor that detects if the car is about to hit a pedestrian and it causes the bonnet to pop up thus cushioning the blow to the pedestrian. The dealer did not fix this a part of the service but suggested that they believed this fault could occur as a result of a long term flat battery and that after a period of normal running with a fully charged battery it could go away. The bad news was that if it didn't, they were talking about a complete strip down of the front end including removal of front bumper and God knows what else in order to get into this sensor. They weren't even prepared to give a price for this repair but made serious several hundreds of pound noises as being the likely out come. I guess my question is twofold - apart from the nuisance value of this warning triangle being on all the time is it doing any harm/breaking any law. And secondly has anyone any experience of this fault and is there an economical way to fix it or at the worst disable it as I haven't hit a pedestrian in 53 years of motoring and intend to continue not doing so?

Old 04-30-2022 | 05:38 PM
GGG

Welcome back Trom,

As this is your second post, I assume your XKR has been reliable up to now since the iPod question in 2019?

Here's a lengthy thread on the PPS (Pedestrian Protection System) on European specification vehicles:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...m-fault-67933/

The PPS is mandatory on European specification vehicles and, in the UK, it contravenes Construction & Use Regulations to disable it. The warning light will also fail an MoT inspection.

I removed the front bumper to replace the sensors on mine but other members found this was unnecessary - they can be accessed from beneath the vehicle.

Graham

Old 04-30-2022 | 08:44 PM
guy
Veteran Member

removal of the front bumper is no big deal.

Old 05-03-2022 | 11:34 PM

This is why you need a battery Maintainer hooked up - it's that important the battery stays charged.

Old 05-04-2022 | 03:55 AM
|

I see one of the messages refers to "Clearing the warning from the ICE system" how exactly is that achieved and why did the dealer not attempt to do this when it was in for a service?

Old 05-04-2022 | 05:03 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Trom
I see one of the messages refers to "Clearing the warning from the ICE system" how exactly is that achieved and why did the dealer not attempt to do this when it was in for a service?
Yes, that is the question.

Old 05-04-2022 | 05:26 AM
GGG

A service is just that - a recommended list of actions and checks. If a dealer started investigating and repairing any faults beyond the scheduled items without prior approval, the owner would almost certainly get a fright at the final cost.

The warning is triggered by a 'soft' code that can be cleared a maximum of 99 times before it sets as a constant 'hard' code. A dealer needs to run a diagnostics session to clear the code which is not part of any scheduled service. Did you authorise and agree to pay for this additional work?

Numerous previous posts on this topic indicate it is most likely due to failure of one or both sensors. A diagnostic session will confirm whether it is this or another fault in the PPS. Here's the result of a session on my last X150 with this fault:

This confirmed it was the LEFT sensor, Replacing the sensor cleared the fault and the warning never reappeared.

I have SDD diagnostics available and cost of the sensor was less than 80 UKP. Not a difficult job (and even easier now it has been shown the front bumper doesn't need to be removed) but I wouldn't like to pay a dealer to do it.

Graham