XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Removing center console trim on 5.0 engined XK/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 AM
TTC
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing center console trim on 5.0 engined XK/XKR

I've found some info suggesting that on the pre-facelift models you'd start off by removing the wood veneer baseplate. On later models though it seems that the trim panel surrounding the gear shift knob is sitting on top op the wooden panel, so I'm a bit sceptical this would still work.

More specifically, I'm after the piano black part of the trim surrounding the gear shift knob, start/stop button etc. Unfortunately mine is looking quite tattered and my local dealer would have me shell out $600 for the panel alone, sans installation. I don't paying to keep my car tip top, but for a relatively small piece of plastic that seems a bit extreme ; so I'm thinking of removing it and having it professionally repainted instead. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd sugest having it wrapped for a fraction of the cost. You can do all matching bits on dashboard etc. You wont even notice its there, these guys are really clever.

I had an Audi done a couple of years back they had wood trim, they wrapped it in piano black. It was hard wearing and looked fantastic.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The process is similar. Here is the relevant page from the workshop manual:-

2010 Console Removal

If you need the complete workshop manual for the 5.0L X150, you can now get it here:

2010 on X150 Workshop Manual

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (03-05-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

When removing the veneer trim around the console start at the two sides going around the ash tray toward the dash. Use a butter knife to gently pry it up moving the knife up and down on both sides. Once the small sections on both sides of the ash tray start to come up keep sliding the knife down toward the shifter knob and cup tray. The chrome cover piece surrounding the rotary shifter will come up with the veneer and can be separated once the veneer trim has been removed. All of the trim veneer pieces can be removed in this fashion.

You can easily wrap these pieces in a vinyl wrap of your choice, carbon fiber, etc.

Last edited by DGL; 03-03-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
TTC
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all!

Bought the manual and it looks my dealer wasn't lying when he said the piano black surround couldn't be ordered separately and that I needed to buy the whole gear knob unit if I wanted it. It seems to come out of the console as an integral piece, so it remains to be seen if it's sealed or can be dissasembled further to get the trim panel off.

I'll look into the wrapping thing, but I can't say that I've ever heard of it here in Belgium.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TTC
Thanks all!

Bought the manual and it looks my dealer wasn't lying when he said the piano black surround couldn't be ordered separately and that I needed to buy the whole gear knob unit if I wanted it. It seems to come out of the console as an integral piece, so it remains to be seen if it's sealed or can be dissasembled further to get the trim panel off.

I'll look into the wrapping thing, but I can't say that I've ever heard of it here in Belgium.
Vehical wrapping has been common around the world for years, many vans, busses, trains are wrapped showing commercials or their company names. They look painted but it's actually wrapping.
The modified car world took to it a few years ago discovering they can temporarily change the whole colour of the car, most head for matt black.

Yes you'll easily be able to find it in Belgium, search for sign writing companies or the obvious vehical wrapping.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 AM

Here's your solution, this guy just wrapped his dash in piano black, cost $40!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3m-wrap-91245/