XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Repairing Silver Plastic on Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repairing Silver Plastic on Steering Wheel

Hi Everyone, recently got myself an XF which is mechanically very sound, but cosmetically had been a little abused. I have been doing bits of body work and its lookin much fresher externally, now it's time to start on the interior. All is going well but I need some advice on how to repair the steering wheel. It has lots of scratches and chips in the plastic. I could get a second hand wheel but seems a bit silly, when there must be an easier solution. Was thinking about silver touch up pen, but this won't be a match. Another solution is a sand and respray. But would loose the icons. Are there any clip on silver fascias around? All suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2023, 06:21 AM

XK i meant! Fat thumbs.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:30 AM
Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Hello.
I would sand and repaint (with probably a fresher and more realistic metal tone)and get some decals prior to varnish spray.
That will be easy and looking great.
You can print your own decals at home (most people ignore it) , the paper can be found on Amazon and your local art supply shop.
With a great pure metal quality paint your steering wheel will look even better than before.

Originally Posted by lukemcmillan
Hi Everyone, recently got myself an XF which is mechanically very sound, but cosmetically had been a little abused. I have been doing bits of body work and its lookin much fresher externally, now it's time to start on the interior. All is going well but I need some advice on how to repair the steering wheel. It has lots of scratches and chips in the plastic. I could get a second hand wheel but seems a bit silly, when there must be an easier solution. Was thinking about silver touch up pen, but this won't be a match. Another solution is a sand and respray. But would loose the icons. Are there any clip on silver fascias around? All suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2023, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Don’t think you’ll find a way to make that look new again. Probably easier to just replace those parts. You’ll find used ones on eBay, just study the pictures closely to make sure you’re not buying a similarly damaged piece.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Don’t think you’ll find a way to make that look new again. Probably easier to just replace those parts. You’ll find used ones on eBay, just study the pictures closely to make sure you’re not buying a similarly damaged piece.
I have seen lots of parts. Some for XF some for XK. Are the XF and XKs the same steering wheel? They look identical but can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I have seen lots of parts. Some for XF some for XK. Are the XF and XKs the same steering wheel? They look identical but can't find a definitive answer anywhere.
The same.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:19 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Where have you seen them? I am pretty much in the same situation: some paint is missing on the bottom spoke of my steering wheel.
It's not much but it still annoys me...I have it right under my eyes after all.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by George Abitbol
Where have you seen them? I am pretty much in the same situation: some paint is missing on the bottom spoke of my steering wheel.
It's not much but it still annoys me...I have it right under my eyes after all.
There's some on ebay around us Georges.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/314574650499...Bk9SR8qTq6XEYg

Type in " commande volant jaguar XF " on ebay.fr you'll find them.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:53 AM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiepolo
There's some on ebay around us Georges.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/314574650499...Bk9SR8qTq6XEYg

Type in " commande volant jaguar XF " on ebay.fr you'll find them.
Thanks, but what I'm after is the bottom spoke, the one without the commands...
I found one on eBay, but it's in the US and the shipping is twice the price of the item (not to mention it's not cosmetically perfect...)!

I guess my solution would be to get an old wheel on which that spoke is fine. They can be had from about 40€...but for that price I'm also thinking I could get a result almost as good with some paint I'd apply myself...

Old 08-23-2023, 07:30 PM

I found one on eBay, but it's in the US and the shipping is twice the price of the item (not to mention it's not cosmetically perfect...)!

I guess my solution would be to get an old wheel on which that spoke is fine. They can be had from about 40€...but for that price I'm also thinking I could get a result almost as good with some paint I'd apply myself...
To be honest Georges, I'm 300% sure a great metalic paint would be much more pretty than this weird half metallic plastic.
Not sure it's allowed to posts links , but have a look at stardust colors , they deliver in luxembourg. They have really great looking metallic (with real metal powder) paint and a wonderfully efficient pre-paint for plastic that will stick anything to it. Check the BC60 aluminium paint , i used it and it really looks like aluminium. and p230 primer . Then the varnish you wish. You won't be desappointed.
If you want the exact same plasticky-mettalic as it was, one of their shade might fit too.

If you're into DIY, let's do it.
(i think I'll do it once the car will be all technically serviced as I have to change my wheel leather)

Old 08-23-2023, 09:54 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

If its the bottom spoke.....sand, clean and mix some matching paint in an airbrush. Done. It looks like 'Foundry Grey' which was an interior trim color on the 03-2012 Range Rovers. Never could find an online supplier.