XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Replacement for the awful OE Lug Nuts/Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
You guys probably already realize this but these are 21mm lugs so you'll need a new wrench. I bought one of these (and a few other members did too. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-170507/)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink21907-20

The design is solid but the bag is cheap. I wrapped a rag around the bag and pressed it right into the existing lug nut wrench storage slot.
Bought three of them now, one for each car. Sure beats the pitiful OEM excuse for a tire iron.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Shemp ll- Your wheels are Carella wheels. they come in 19" diameter. I had them on my 12 XK.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Shemp ll- Your wheels are Carella wheels. they come in 19" diameter. I had them on my 12 XK.
Nope, those are Caravela wheels, I've got Carelia'a on my 07 XK right now.

Sean W (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Nope, those are Caravela wheels, I've got Carelia'a on my 07 XK right now.
Caravela:

Carelia:

Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,368 Likes on 3,180 Posts

I think we have a quandary here... how about "KASUGA"?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Nice.
So the Caravela is a 19" wheel, and the Kasuga is essentially the same design in a 20" wheel.

So 'shemp', are your wheels 19" or 20"?

Last edited by kj07xk; 11-04-2016 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

19"

Old 11-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Sheesh, no reason to get all weirded-out.
All I said it that the description did not match the picture, which is true.
Life is good.

Cee Jay (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Ooops, my mistake. Caravela is correct. Sorry about that.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Sooo... I'm one of those guys who read this thread ONE DAY too late.

Thankfully, I'm at a friend's condo so I'm just waiting for a tow truck. I don't know if the fault is in that funky lug-nut cap or that God-awful Jaguar lug wrench, but this is the worst setup I've ever come across.
Have no idea what people do on rainy days in the middle of nowhere.
The lug nut sets linked here have all been sold, but I assume the "you might also like" link works as well.

Will order nuts and a real lug wrench today.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Sooo... I'm one of those guys who read this thread ONE DAY too late.

Thankfully, I'm at a friend's condo so I'm just waiting for a tow truck. I don't know if the fault is in that funky lug-nut cap or that God-awful Jaguar lug wrench, but this is the worst setup I've ever come across.
Have no idea what people do on rainy days in the middle of nowhere.
The lug nut sets linked here have all been sold, but I assume the "you might also like" link works as well.

Will order nuts and a real lug wrench today.
I picked up a set of used Toyota lugs at a junk yard for under $1 each. I'll take used OEM quality over chromed aftermarket ones any day.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Just received some solid one piece lugs for my 08 XKR. I had to remove one spinner and needed a replacement, so I thought I would try an ebay seller (wheelpartsonline) I bought some black lug nuts for another one of my vehicles. About $1ea shipped. Wanted to be sure I got 19mm or 3/4 so the factory lug wrench can be used if need be.
I have not installed yet, but plan to add anti-sieze and replace all 20. They are a chrome finish. Not sure how this will look with the 20" senta wheels, but there is a bit of chrome on aluminum colored side vent, so it may work design wise.

I plan to work one corner at a time for detailing wheels, tubs, change bulbs filters, etc in the wheel well areas. Probably clean/replace brakes also. I'll try to post some pics, but wondering if anyone has a pic of chrome lugs on Senta wheels they could share. Also, assuming these cant be brushed to dull a bit, any options there would be of interest....2 piece stock nuts are not an option I want to consider.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I started reading this older post from the beginning. I noted someone from the UK asking why only Americans seem to have problems with lug nuts. I remember when I was in high school and college, in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I had trouble with lug nuts stripping on my cars. After I graduated from college I moved to California and never had those problems, or shoveled snow, again. My conclusion is either it only happens on crappy cars or the tons of salt poured on the roads in the mid-west corrodes the studs and lug nuts, along with everything else on the car.

Does anyone in a snow free zone have lug nut problems?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
I started reading this older post from the beginning. I noted someone from the UK asking why only Americans seem to have problems with lug nuts. I remember when I was in high school and college, in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I had trouble with lug nuts stripping on my cars. After I graduated from college I moved to California and never had those problems, or shoveled snow, again. My conclusion is either it only happens on crappy cars or the tons of salt poured on the roads in the mid-west corrodes the studs and lug nuts, along with everything else on the car.

Does anyone in a snow free zone have lug nut problems?
Yep. My car was a Texas car it's whole life. No salt here. I had 3 stripped lug nuts (stripped to the point a regular 19mm lug wrench could not remove it). One had to be removed with a special lug nut gripper tool after the outer cover was removed. This is the one that made me check the others. I let the shop replace all the lugs when I had tires done. I can only assume someone put them on too tight.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I can never work out what American members do with their 'lug' nuts.

Across every model forum you can read endless posts about stripped caps and fitting alternative aftermarket nuts. Almost exclusively, these posts are from US members even though we have a large International membership.

However, I do remove/refit them by hand with a spider and torque them up to the correct setting. Taught this many years ago when I worked for a Jaguar Independent and still do the same to this day.

Are you all using air guns on the wheels?
There seems to be a disproportionate number of pimple-faced teenagers working at American tire shops. It is in essence Americana and a business model, McDonalds proved that they can take a child who cant make toast for himself, cook your entire meal. On a child's wages no less, i.e not paid to care.

On Jaguar lugs all it takes is once in the life of the car for an inexperienced hand put the wrong socket on it. It merely deforms the outer sleeve, which further fosters the use of a larger socket. Incidentally, the way they find the right socket is by trial. Yes, they invariably use an air impact.

They are not so careless with torque, precautionary methods are in place, for instance in some tire shops they have color coded extensions on the impact that automatically give way at the preset torque. You just have to hope the kid knows his colors.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

So... the jag dealer (Rosenthal in suburban DC) was the ONLY place in the metro DC with a properly sized Continental tire to get me on my way. Sure enough, one of the original lug nuts was stripped and had to be drilled and pulled. (ironically, one of my very first jobs when I worked in a shop).
They were going to charge me $69.95 for ONE set of five Jag lug nuts. I pointed out that the problem is a design defect. They waived the cost, which I suspect means they had a spare lying around and used the four remaining good ones. They also loosened and low-torqued the lug nuts on all the wheels.
$244 for the tire. $105 for labor and balance. About $365 with tax, all in, and I'm back on the road.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

What do you think about these lug nuts?
My concern is dissimilar metals, aluminium on steel. In the shop we have to use antisieze when we do that.
Billet Lug Nuts - Champion Wheel

Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

All the shops I know (including the dealer) use impact guns...

Originally Posted by GGG
I can never work out what American members do with their 'lug' nuts.

Across every model forum you can read endless posts about stripped caps and fitting alternative aftermarket nuts. Almost exclusively, these posts are from US members even though we have a large International membership.

I have all the wheels off my cars twice a year for a thorough clean and inspection and have never had a wheel nut fail. It's been the same from my first E-Type over forty years ago through owning examples of most intervening models of Jaguar to my current XK. If they were going to corrode and fail then they certainly would in our UK climate!

However, I do remove/refit them by hand with a spider and torque them up to the correct setting. Taught this many years ago when I worked for a Jaguar Independent and still do the same to this day.

Are you all using air guns on the wheels?

Graham

Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

As there is no mag-seat, I won't be using them.

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
What do you think about these lug nuts?
My concern is dissimilar metals, aluminium on steel. In the shop we have to use antisieze when we do that.
Billet Lug Nuts - Champion Wheel

Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,368 Likes on 3,180 Posts

These then...... I sort of think Q&C mostly meant the manufacturer, not the nut style. Also, it depends on which wheels you have as per which nuts you need.

Quick Reply: Replacement for the awful OE Lug Nuts/Bolts?