XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Replacement of HKS Camp2

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Sean, and all else who've done this mod...

I'm having some issues with mock locations and my GPS dongle. I am using a GlobalSat ND-105C to get a signal, and it's working fine, but I have to manually tell it to start getting satellite data. Which programs are you guys using to parse the NMEA data from your GPS device and have android use it for real-time dynamic mock locations? I've tried a few different serial programs but none of them have an auto-start feature that makes the program run and start collecting data automatically on boot up.

I'm currently using this apk:

https://github.com/freshollie/UsbGps4Droid/releases

This is on a BeeLink GT King android box running Android 9. 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, HDMI, Optical Audio Out, S922 chipset

http://www.bee-link.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=129

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 09-03-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi i've the same problem. I use bluetooth GPS apk and i can't have start automatic. I'm interesting by solution too.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,245 Likes on 2,374 Posts

Did you try the app "Auto Launch"? There are several. Sounds like one of you did. Otherwise "Tasker"?
https://play.google.com/store/search...rt%20app&hl=en

I pulled the GPS out of my media box as I don't use it. It was just to see if it could be done and it's been too long ago for me to recall. Looking at "GPS Status and Toolbox in google play,

I do not like/need the notification when an app accesses the GPS. Can I turn it off?

Yes. GPS Status never runs in the background unless an other app access the GPS. You can turn off the notification feature in 'Settings / Background behavior / Show Notification = Never' and then restarting the app (quitting with the back button and then starting it again).

The notification sometimes is not sown when Google Maps is running

This is happening on Android 6 and later. Goolge Maps is no longer using the GPS in the phone directly. Instead it's using Google's proprietary "fused location provider". Because of this, GPS is started only occasionally in the background and 3rd party applications are not notified about it. Sadly this cannot be worked around as indeed in these cases GPS is NOT used so there is no point to show the status.

Last edited by Sean W; 09-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM

The issue is the 'mock locations' app designed to work with the GlobalSat devices does not automatically read sensor data from the GPS dongle.

I can auto start the app using tasker, without issue. I've been a tasker user since it was first released, and I'm a huge fan of it. I can probably create a script in tasker to open the app on boot and toggle the service to start, but I'm hoping that there is an existing app that can simulate mock locations, and also has this auto-start feature built in.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 PM

Yes but tasker is not free. Tasker can activate "connect" function in the bluetooth gps apk ?

Last edited by Sovejag13190; 09-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Tasker is worth every penny if you like automation. One of the best features of android is the ability to run that program.

You can always use tasker to simulate clicks and swipes just like you were using your finger, to automate a process, similar to how a script works in programming.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah Tasker is cheap and worth the $. Auto Launch that I mentioned is built to work with tasker. The guy also makes an App called Auto Location that uses geofencing:
https://joaoapps.com/autolocation/what-it-is/
I think I tried 3. I don't recall having the problem you stated but again, I was just in it for a short time. Sorry not much help. I tried these from google play
Fake GPS Location (Lexa)
Fake GPS GO Location Spoofer
GPS Status and Toolbox.

Please update on your progress.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Autolaunch works great. I use it currently for opening pandora, and going into another car launcher on my phone when it connects to the bluetooth dongle in the armrest console.

Info you probably already know, but some might not:

Location spoofers available on the play store work fine for a static location, but they aren't what we need for navigation to work. The intent of those types of apps is purely for things like watching videos that are geo-restricted, or developing apps that use location data. They let you drag a crosshair over a map and then keep it there in a static position (sometimes the apps have a 'movement' feature that moves the cursor ever-so-slightly to keep the location active).

The only way to actively track your true location using an android box with WIFI/LAN only (as most are... since the average user would never need GPS on a device that sits in their living room) is with an external device (like the GlobalSat or uBlox devices) that get GPS or GLONASS satellite data, and then sends that data in real time to the operating system. This is essentially the same as those location spoofers mentioned before, but instead of you manually dragging a cursor around a map, the NMEA data that the dongle reads from the satellite connections is true location data that updates at a set frequency.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 09-03-2019 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (09-03-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 08:52 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

This look like a winter project for me.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Wanted to update again, now that I have things up and running (kind of). The switch board is behaving opposite to what I expect... when the +12V trigger is off, it is on the secondary controller (android box)... and when the +12V trigger is applied to POS, it switches to OEM... so this is opposite to what should be happening according to the manuals.

Right now, the trigger wire is the AV1 switch wire coming from the GVIF interface module.

So, when I turn ON the android box on the GVIF by hitting the wired 'magic button', AV1 is selected and my vehicle touchscreen changes the display to the android box... but since the switch board is behaving backwards, the OEM display that I cannot see is actually being controlled.

When I turn OFF the android box on the GVIF by hitting the wired 'magic button', the switchboard sees that the +12V trigger looses voltage, and switches to secondary controller... so it's trying to control the UTC and android box instead of the stock system that's being displayed.

Hopefully that makes sense... I can use a 12V SPST relay to flip the voltage, by having the AV1 trigger wire engage the relay and cut off power to the trigger terminal on the switch board, but this seems like a step that I shouldn't have to take.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 09-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

So first isolate the problem to the board or GVIF. Are you using the yellow SEL OUT wire on the GVIF box to + on the board? I believe that when AV1 is selected, power is available through that wire. I would disconnect it from the board to see what it's doing before it gets to the board. If that's working right, Then ensure you have the board set to constant. If you're doing that, I'd call Car solutions. They may have wired the board backward.

Last edited by Sean W; 09-27-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:27 PM

I've done that... the problem is with the board.... I've actually taken quite a few steps back in progress since yesterday.

The cable from the Sel Out of the GVIF is indeed getting +12V when AV1 is selected... the board is just behaving backwards. I'm fine wiring in a SPST NC (Form B) relay.. so that when the SEL wire energizes it, it cuts power... basically flipping the voltage. It's a $10 part with shipping, but easier than dealing with getting a new board.

Now, the UTC has also started behaving strangely. It's showing a red STATE light, that the manual says should be disabled. I cannot do a factory reset, and hitting the mode button on the board does absolutely nothing. It's like the board is locked down. Pulling power does not reset it, so I'm at a loss.

I've reached out to car-solutions support for guidance and am awaiting their response. We will see if they cover either issue under warranty... especially since I've followed their instructions and cautions to the letter.

The third issue, and most upsetting, is that when the UTC error seemed to present itself, the touch screen ALSO stopped responding entirely.

No idea if it shorted out, or what... So, I pulled the assembly out of the car, and took the touch screen assembly apart to see if I could find any burnt components (I did not). I completely removed all aftermarket components from the system, to bring it back to stock, and the touch screen vertical axis seems to be registering, but the horizontal axis is not. What this means is that the audio, climate, phone, navigation, vehicle buttons work, (and anything else that displays along the left edge when in a menu) but nothing else. So, I can hit 'navigation', but I cannot hit 'accept'. Or, I can hit 'climate', but I cannot turn on the seat cooling.

Luckily, most of the essential jaguar systems accessible through the touch screen are redundant with physical buttons!

Anyways... future users, beware... some of the hardware being discussed here is very finicky, and there's absolutely a risk that you can damage your touch screen module, even when practicing safe electronic procedures by only disconnecting/connecting wires with power off, being grounded to the car, etc.

Cee Jay (09-27-2019)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM

This project is FINALLY complete for me!

I want to say that the level of customer support at car-solutions is stellar. They could have abandoned me or told me to find another product, and they continued to offer suggestions and advice, and replace non-functioning boards even when stock was only available from Ukraine. We finally got things working after 5 months of efforts.

Please keep in mind the history of this project... these boards both worked for me upon initial receipt. I was able to control both the OEM system and the android box. For a short while...

One day, the touch screen stopped responding, and the UTC had on a red state light, and the RTC was behaving opposite (OEM light on when 12v applied to POS terminal, OUT light on when 12V removed). Whatever happened shorted out the functionality of the stock touch screen assembly and it no longer responded to any touch at all.

I had to buy a replacement unit from a salvage vehicle on eBay. Still have no idea why my original unit broke.

The UTC board should work independently on it's own, because it only needs a 4-wire resistive panel to control android via USB which also supplies power. The red state light indicates that it's permanently locked up, so it was decided to send out a replacement UTC from Ukraine,

I used a 12V SPST NC relay to switch behavior of the RTC, and it was decided that I would continue to use the original RTC with my relay fix. Everything was uninstalled and returned to stock (with my new eBay touch screen) while awaiting the replacement board.

The replacement UTC was lost during transit from Ukraine because no packaging tape was used on the shipping box.

Another UTC was sent from Hong Kong, and arrived successfully. I tried to install it with the original RTC, but I could not control the touchscreen at all with the board installed. Tried every recommended method by your support team, and nothing worked. A replacement RTC was fully tested and shipped.

After 1 month transit (no fault of anyone's), the replacement RTC arrives. After some trouble installing (switch board needed to be opposite from diagram so PCB terminal connected to "touch in" amber ribbon, and touch terminal connected to OEM pcb with 4 conductor white ribbon cable from car-solutions kit)... I was finally able to control the OEM system with the RTC, but I still could not control the stock system.

Some additional troubleshooting found that when the UTC is connected directly to the touch panel and the RTC is bypassed, it seems to go through the calibration process. Here is a video I took:

I could not see if the UTC is actually controlling the android box, because I had no display to connect it to (since I had no way to control the touch screen OEM system and enter the navigation window to switch to android)... but if we accept a visual signal of the mode light during calibration as indication it's working properly, this means that for some reason the signal is lost between the RTC and UTC. I still cannot calibrate the UTC while it is connected to the RTC.

So, we have a few things going on:

I can only control the OEM system while the RTC is powered on, and when the switch board is flipped around.
The UTC can calibrate, but only when it is connected directly to the touch panel.
The UTC cannot calibrate while it is connected to the RTC.

Finally, I tried once more to flip the RTC switch board so that 'touch' connected to the amber ribbon from the OEM screen, and PCB connected to the OEM connector on the jaguar board... and, it worked! Still have no idea why it wasn't working previously, but... who cares?

Buttoned everything up, and that's where we are today.

DGL (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Very goof project !!
I want install UTC and RTC but your post is very dark !! I don't want broke my screen !!.
I've UTC but RTC is not available.
thank's for video.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sovejag13190
Very goof project !!
I want install UTC and RTC but your post is very dark !! I don't want broke my screen !!.
I've UTC but RTC is not available.
thank's for video.
The length of the project is not necessarily the fault of car-solutions... This is an old product and most cars don't use these types of panels. They don't sell many any more. When everything broke initially, I was trying to disconnect the board from the GVIF and power, so it it possible that pulling the fuse while the car was running caused the damage.

Everything after that was trying to use/salvage the boards in the original purchase. The UTC was locked out, which took awhile to determine considering my time and a 1 day turnaround for response from Ukraine customer support.

The lost board due to improper packaging was unfortumate, and the long shipping times were because I didn't want to pay $50 for DHL or similar.

If these boards were in stock, and I didn't cause damage from pulling a fuse while running (possible cause, undetermined if that's what did it), this project would have been complete in a few weeks.

I still highly recommend attempting this project, and reaching out to car solutions to have them make boards that are out of production. If enough people ask, I think they will do it.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Can you elaborate on the GPS solution please> What hardware, software did you use and how did you install it?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Can you elaborate on the GPS solution please> What hardware, software did you use and how did you install it?
+1

Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
The length of the project is not necessarily the fault of car-solutions... This is an old product and most cars don't use these types of panels. They don't sell many any more. When everything broke initially, I was trying to disconnect the board from the GVIF and power, so it it possible that pulling the fuse while the car was running caused the damage.

Everything after that was trying to use/salvage the boards in the original purchase. The UTC was locked out, which took awhile to determine considering my time and a 1 day turnaround for response from Ukraine customer support.

The lost board due to improper packaging was unfortumate, and the long shipping times were because I didn't want to pay $50 for DHL or similar.

If these boards were in stock, and I didn't cause damage from pulling a fuse while running (possible cause, undetermined if that's what did it), this project would have been complete in a few weeks.

I still highly recommend attempting this project, and reaching out to car solutions to have them make boards that are out of production. If enough people ask, I think they will do it.
Thank's for your response. I can try install this UTC and RTC. I wait RTC. i've UTC. I don't know when car-solutions will have RTC.
Good day.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR

Can someone detail the installation procedure for the android box and what is required? I'll like to get this done before spring as my next project. Thanks.

Rhy's Morgan has been working on a screen replacement in the XF section which looks promising. It would be nice to be able to replace the screen with an updated modern larger screen.

Last edited by DGL; 01-26-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacement of HKS Camp2