XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Replacement suede for headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Ted,

You must be sick to the back teeth by now of people asking for samples. I'm also new to the site and am keen to replace my headliner (I had it done a few years back by a pro, and don't like the match). Now my A & C pillars need recovering, and I wondered if I could trouble you to see if I could meet up with you to have a look at the sample for the Oyster Passion Suede? I'm not far from you in Valencia. My car is off the road at present until next week sometime when I get two new Senta wheels, but when that's done, I'd love to meet.

BTW, I love the Panthera, nice work. A friend of mine is currently renovating one in Long Island NY, and he'll wet himself when I show him that picture you posted. Exact same colour.

Sincerely,

Justin

Last edited by Juss; 01-24-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning, Ted. I’ve got an 07 XK convertible, and I am about to replace exterior top convertible due to the glass separating. The folks that I have lined up to do it can do the headliner as well. What an how much fabric what I need to match the Lunar Grey/IvorySlate combo that I have?

Old 03-01-2023, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I am not as familiar with the convertible as the coupe, however, it seems to cover about the same territory, so I would guess somewhere between 3-4 yards of fabric. The suede to which I have access is 60" wide and costs me $5.10/yd. I give it to forum members at my cost. In other words you need between $15-$20's worth of fabric. However, is not the convertible liner, lined with a layer of padding or foam rubber for insulation purposes? The Passion Suede that I get is unlined, so you would have to get the insulating material sewn to the suede before installation. I also don't know what the color of your interior lining is compared to the colors I have. There are two greys, one almost charcoal and one very, very light. There are a number of ivory/light beige colors. Post a picture, and send me your address, and I can send you some samples of the closest colors.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-01-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 12:10 PM
Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey tberg, i have a 2011 base XK

headliner that failed (dark grey) and i'm getting ready to do the job. Can you send me a pm with details on getting new fabric? I think you mentioned the foam padding needs to be sewn to the fabric?

Last edited by SeanU; 06-28-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

SeanU,
You don't want any foam whatsoever! The deterioration of the foam to powder is what causes the headliner to pull away. It's not the adhesive, it's that there is nothing left for the adhesive to hold on to. I will go ahead and send you a PM with my direct contact information. The suede cloth to which I have access Passion Suede, is thick enough to glue directly to the roof without the foam. It is a woven micro fibre suede as opposed to the very thin knitted Alcantara or Alston suede that was originally used. I'm assuming you have the Warm Charcoal interior which is nearly black. The Passion suede has a dark grey that is not as dark as the warm charcoal which is like a light black, and there is a black Passion Suede which is a bit darker than the warm charcoal. If you're going to be recovering the A pillars and the area back of the seats, it won't matter because there will be nothing to match since all will be redone. Several forum members have used the black and have had very good results. The fabric itself, is 60" wide and the last time I bought it about a month ago, I was paying $5.10/running yard X60" width. About 4 yards should cover the roof, the A pillars, and the little pieces in the rear, so about $20's worth of materials. PM coming momentarily.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

SeanU,
I tried PM to you but it said it could not be sent (No such address) Why don't you send me a PM, and I'll respond.
Thanks,
Ted

Old 06-29-2023, 06:25 AM

Thanks Ted... not sure why the message didn't come through. I sent a PM with details, let me know if it does not come through!

Old 07-07-2023, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner reglue failed

I made a vain attempt at gluing my headliner back up. It was pretty easy to get the headliner out. It was pretty easy to peel off fabric. It took a little work to remove the old foam. When gluing the material back on I failed to realize that the material was going to have to be stretched out somewhat so that it wouldn't come up short. So, I came up short in the replace the headliner game. So, I'm looking to be saved by Ted Berg. The car is a 2007 XK which is supposed to be the single year that material called Canvas Morzine Cloth was used. According to a former posting, it is NOT the suede fabric, it's a velour/felt fabric, Canvas is the name of the colour. I'll be glad to send a piece of my fabric for comparison.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Some members to whom I've sent color Oyster have reported back to me that the color is very close to the Canvas. PM me your address and I'll pop a large sample of the Oyster Passion Suede in the mail. Then you can hold them next to each other. And since they'll be different textures, if they're slightly different, it won't matter as much.
Ted

McJag222 (07-07-2023)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headliner suede

Originally Posted by tberg
Over the past week, I have received numerous requests for samples of Passion Suede which approximates the Alcantara suede that was an option in the X150. I have access to a company that sells approximately 100 colors of the microfibre suede for under $5.00/running yd X60" width. I have ordered a couple of sample books, so that I can snip colors for anyone interested in receiving them for headliner replacement. The books are back ordered for a couple of weeks, however, I purchased some yardage of the colors that I thought would match the majority of Jaguar OEM colors:
Black
Oyster (most like the Caramel Jag interior)
Fawn (a little deeper color than the Oyster)
Cream (an ivory shade)

If I can help anyone out by sending snippets of the fabric, it would be my pleasure. And if it works, I will be happy to purchase and ship whatever yardage you need. I have used thousands of yards of Passion Suede over many years. It is a very realistic looking and feeling suede imitation, with outstanding durability and quality, and costs approximately 1/20 of UltraSuede. As I stated, there are many dozens of colors, so you're not limited to Jaguar colors.
Let me know if I can help.
Ted
Dear Ted, I’m not sure how old this thread is but I would love to purchase some headliner passion suede for my 2011 Jaguar XK coupe.. I’m looking for EBONY as that is the trim color for my car…

Old 06-28-2024, 01:41 PM

I have been putting the job off for a bit, but here is what I have found as an alternative...
This company : https://www.fabricempire.com has a fabric called "Synergy II Suede". I ordered the full swatch set from them and I have settled on the color called "Jet Black"
https://www.fabricempire.com/jet-bla...-the-yard.aspx

I was originally going to choose the lighter "charcoal", but when I asked my wife to choose, she said it was too light, and to get the Jet Black (Alston Jet was mentioned above for our color). I trust her judgement and will be going with the Jet.
They sell the fabric with or without foam backing... I am going for the foam backed. If you would like, i can try to show the samples next to my fabric, but it might not come through well.
I suggest ordering these 2 swatches to decide for yourself if you want to go this route.
https://www.fabricempire.com/search....harcoal+swatch
https://www.fabricempire.com/search....t+black+swatch

If others want an alternative / foam backed fabric you can order the full swatch set : https://www.fabricempire.com/synergy...catalogue.aspx

I have not ordered the fabric yet, but I will be posting here with photos when done. I am going with 4 yards x60" based on earlier posts in this thread.
- Sean

Last edited by SeanU; 06-28-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:29 PM
Received 188 Likes on 108 Posts

The pillars suede can be re-attached with 3M headliner glue, not that difficult.

jahummer (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanU
I have been putting the job off for a bit, but here is what I have found as an alternative...
This company : https://www.fabricempire.com has a fabric called "Synergy II Suede". I ordered the full swatch set from them and I have settled on the color called "Jet Black"
https://www.fabricempire.com/jet-bla...-the-yard.aspx

I was originally going to choose the lighter "charcoal", but when I asked my wife to choose, she said it was too light, and to get the Jet Black (Alston Jet was mentioned above for our color). I trust her judgement and will be going with the Jet.
They sell the fabric with or without foam backing... I am going for the foam backed. If you would like, i can try to show the samples next to my fabric, but it might not come through well.
I suggest ordering these 2 swatches to decide for yourself if you want to go this route.
https://www.fabricempire.com/search....harcoal+swatch
https://www.fabricempire.com/search....t+black+swatch

If others want an alternative / foam backed fabric you can order the full swatch set : https://www.fabricempire.com/synergy...catalogue.aspx

I have not ordered the fabric yet, but I will be posting here with photos when done. I am going with 4 yards x60" based on earlier posts in this thread.
- Sean
@SeanU That's the material I just used to refinish my headliner. It's a bit darker than the original Alston but can't really tell against the pillars and visors unless you know or look for it.

SeanU (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by trkyam
The pillars suede can be re-attached with 3M headliner glue, not that difficult.

That's what I did. The OEM pillar foam backing's quite thinner than the headliner backing so it was best to use fresh adhesive along the edges and re-stretch. Came out fine.

Old 06-28-2024, 04:47 PM

Yep, they need one more shade of Gray in between the charcoal and jet black.