XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Replacing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing brakes

Are there any recommended brand of brake rotors + brake pads for the 4.2 XKR, 2007 model?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

You’ll get lots of different answers on this, and it would be helpful to specify your expectations for the results.
I went with Akebono ceramic pads on my ‘07 XK, because I wanted low dust, and I am very happy with the results.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
HaydenS (04-15-2018), jbretthorton (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydenS
Are there any recommended brand of brake rotors + brake pads for the 4.2 XKR, 2007 model?
Is the vehicle being 'tracked' or raced?

Use the forum search function as this topic has been discussed many times.

The following users liked this post:
HaydenS (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
You’ll get lots of different answers on this, and it would be helpful to specify your expectations for the results.
I went with Akebono ceramic pads on my ‘07 XK, because I wanted low dust, and I am very happy with the results.
I did the same and could not be happier. Almost zero dust even after a week of daily driving. Pads are supper smooth as well. Not grabby at all

Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd go for OEM rotors.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Is the vehicle being 'tracked' or raced?

Use the forum search function as this topic has been discussed many times.
Will do, thanks.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I love the response to threads "do a search!!!". Maybe if the search functions weren't so damn bad and the threads discussing these things weren't so old. What is the point of having a forum if the response to everything is do a search??

Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

There is general consensus with the search feature on brake pads and no large disagreements.

The opinion gap on rotors is quite significant.

One thing I'm struck by when discussing brake rotors on a street car, is people in other parts of the world have no idea the difference between what they consider rain, and what actually happens here in the south-east during the spring/summer.

All the memes about NASCAR not racing in the rain yet F1 does came to a grinding hault when F1 had to delay over rain in Texas.

There is rain, and then there is rain.

I would want slotted rotors personally.

I have one Porsche 944 with Solid, and one Porsche 944 I bought had cross drilled. There is a significant time difference when needing to stop in heavy rain between when the brakes will grab with the two cars.

Most of my driving I look ahead and lift, brake wear is of little concern to me, it is those important moments that matter most to me.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Like KJ I too went with Akebono pads on my 07 for the same reason. Though not Akebono, my 12 has ceramic pads with slotted rotors. I purchased from RockAuto and was pleased with the offerings though they did send incorrect spring retainers for the rears that popped off and had to be replaced with OEM parts while on a trip.

You'll find lots of different opinions here that I am sure are all totally valid. But each will be based on personal preferences and driving parameters. I think that is why we are invited to look through various threads on any subject.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

No aftermarket brake parts will do anything to improve your stopping distance over OEM in situation you will encounter on the street. The limiting factor for your stopping distance is the traction of your tires. As long as your brakes are strong enough to lock up your tires or engage the ABS, the brake system is doing everything it can do. The difference comes with high temperatures after heavily using the brakes like you would at a track day or possibly in a situation like coming back down Pike's Peak if you're riding your brakes. If you want to stop faster, look at your tires first, then your suspension, then if you're overwhelming your brakes, go there. That said, different pads can offer different feel which is totally up to driver preference. As far as rotors go, a bigger rotor (larger diameter=more torque, but still limited by the tires, thicker means new calipers, or just more metal which means less cooling) . will be able to handle more heat while you're turning kinetic energy into thermal energy and sending it off into the air, but sticking with the same size won't get you anything more than looks. Some people swear by slotted rotors and i've tried them on both of my 2 previous cars with no difference other than they look cool.