Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
With this one (4th one):

https://www.jaguargwinnett.com/certi...6a6fd540e6.htm

I liked it because it's at a jaguar dealership, vs the other ones that aren't. I also like the seats, but it seems like that's only an option on a touring edition. I haven't seen that seat stitching pattern on XKRs. Also, the steering wheel is really worn, and that would bother me immensly. I think I'll remove it from my list. Regardless, I'd much rather have ventilated seats and adjustable bolsters vs a unique seat stitch pattern.
That stitch pattern indicates that this car has the ‘cheap’ interior. Only a leather face on the seats, not all the way around, and vinyl on the dash, instead of leather. That’s why you won’t find them in an XKR, just a ‘base’ XK.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to agree with John's analysis of this group of vehicles. I also agree with his disdain for the X150 in white and add my own for black and various shades of gray. For me, that eliminates all but one of the group, and as the low price leader, that one leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. As the owner of an electric blue Porsche, it surprised me that you chose only B & W and a couple of Grays until I ran my own search with your parameters and came up with basically the same group. If you have alternate transportation now that your Porsche is kaputt, and you want to continue to live your life in color, I would advise taking a deep breath and waiting until something comes along that really grabs you. You'll know it when you see it and you won't need to poll those of us in the peanut gallery. Good luck and happy hunting!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
That stitch pattern indicates that this car has the ‘cheap’ interior. Only a leather face on the seats, not all the way around, and vinyl on the dash, instead of leather. That’s why you won’t find them in an XKR, just a ‘base’ XK.
Hey! I have just a 'base' XK and the seats have cow all the way around and blow hot and cold!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by John Nevets
I’m not a veteran, or an expert, heck I just bought a X100 XKR, but I was for a time last year looking at pretty much what you were, 5.0 XKR coupe in good shape for a reasonable price. I did a weekly nationwide search on both autotrader, and auto tempest. I hate to say it in this crowd, but I still think these are going to depreciate a little more (not a ton, and still worth buying) before stabilizing and going up. I just realized, I didn’t want to budget quite that much at this particular time, I may change my mind in the future, depends if I feel I’m maxing out my current car. Anyway, I may take a few minutes and bring up your list and see if anything looks fishy.

One thing to note, that at least in WI, I was unable to get any repair info from the dealership, since I was not the owner when the work was done, it was a privacy issue. I even tried to get some hints if there was anything in particular I should be looking at closer, and he was biting, but was willing to do an inspiration if I wanted.

Best of luck, I think you are going about this the smart way.
Having owned an X100 XKR for 9 years and I wouldn't say I've maxed out in it. It's been a great car and since an X100 XKR with 110k on it (45k put on by me) is worth like 8-9k; despite that the paint job, leather, wood, wheels and just cosmetic work it's had the last 20k miles would cost that; it's just worth keeping to me. It's such a different car from the X150 that it's enjoyable to drive; it is somewhat like driving a restomodded classic. Comparing the two objectively though, the X100 is a wet noodle handling wise, has much more design faults, gets worse fuel economy and has lower performance, and is much smaller in the cabin. That said, the X100 XKR is gorgeous, rides nice, has plenty of oompf with the 370hp/389ftlbs, and is overall a fun GT car. You can like both .

The X150 definitely will depreciate further, but even a nice late one has done most of it so far. I bought my X150 2007 XKR Coupe with 50k on it for 70k less than new (20k), and I think the floor is 10-13k with that mileage in 5+ years. By the time it's worth that little, you'll be dealing with a fairly old vehicle and a lot of the low price is because of what you will need to replace for age reasons as it will be a 17-20yo car. Barring issues as bad as timing chain tensioners (4.0 before a certain engine date) or the ZF 5HP24 (4.0 N/A cars) that plagued X100s; I think that the X150 5.0 cars will stay worth a bit more than 4.2 ones as they have several overall updates over the 4.2 cars, and the extra power is nice. 90hp is quite a bit to consider.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Old Radar
Hey! I have just a 'base' XK and the seats have cow all the way around...
With that stitch pattern? Didn’t mean to offend, just repeating what I’ve seen on this forum in other threads.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM

No, not that stitch pattern--the normal pattern with perforations for the heat/AC. And no offense taken. Like I told Traxtar, you'll know it when you find the right car and this one was for me!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Old Radar
No, not that stitch pattern--the normal pattern with perforations for the heat/AC. And no offense taken.
All’s good, and take heart, you don’t have the ‘cheap’ seats and interior. Yes you have leather all around. The seats with that stitch pattern do not, and the dash is not leather in such a car either.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

He's right, that a base model interior.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

If you can swing it, I would go for an XKR-S. Those the ones that will be really something in the long run.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd love to, but there are hardly any for sale, and the ones that are for sale are out of my budget. I'm trying to spend $30K or less, ideally closer to $25K

Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 115 Likes on 60 Posts

Check CarGurus in the Philadelphia area, there is a radiant red with black interior one owner 25,000 miles for $29,000. It is non aspirated. Don't know anything about it just like to check them out I believe it came up from Florida??

Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

That black with navy interior is quite unusual. Doubt you'll run into another one.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM

I do like it... I normally wouldn't pick a blue interior, but it's pretty unique and looks to be in great shape.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
I do like it... I normally wouldn't pick a blue interior, but it's pretty unique and looks to be in great shape.
That has to have been a customer ordered car. Never seen a black car with blue interior, or just rare as can be.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The 2012 Special Edition model had the option of Truffle or Navy leather and six different paint colours, two of which were black.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll go Big Picture here:

It's understandable that you'd want someone to consider each of your cars. But in reading the comments, you'll notice that most of the observations are either taste (which color/interior combo), XK vs XKR, or some mileage/price preference. These cars almost always look great in any decent photo, and it's hard to tell more than that without driving the actual car. That's why you're not getting a lot of car-by-car analysis.

Also, notice how many folks offered up even more options that fit your criteria. You have now, and will continue to have, a lot of options. The car you end up with might not even be on your list.

What to do? Help us help you. Narrow your own list, and resubmit it. As an example, my own culling:

- I'm one of the guys who's owned both an XK and an XKR. For me, XKR, no question. I'd immediately dump all the XK's.
- I'm not a White Car guy, never have been. So I'd dump all the white cars. Don't care how good the deal is. I'd never be happy.
- on the issue of color: the medium gray (Lunar Grey) is a really handsome color in person. Grey is tricky and that shade nails it. I like it more than silver. Also, as others have noted, there are two blacks and two reds on this car. Go see them in person and figure out which you prefer. And if you want a "color" color, red/blue/green/eggplant (yep, Eggplant, I think they call it "Aubergine"), just know that really narrows your list.
- I'm one of those guys who doesn't care that much about mileage (within reason), if you're not worried about resale or trade-in. I've seen some sweet XKR's with well over 100K miles, so if you buy a 60K mile car you've got lots of driving ahead of you.

One final note about seat leather: for the last few years, Jaguar introduced a "Touring" edition of the XK, in attempt to bolster sales by having a slightly lower base price. (I think it was a terrible idea.) Those cars had limited paint/interior options, less leather inside, and did not have cooled seats. There were some other things stripped out but I can't remember what. My two cents: the Touring Edition XK's are not worth the slightly lower price.

Now go narrow your list, and keep us posted!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Oh and PS: the black (blue looking to me) 2013 XKR with the blue interior is the only one on your list that I'd go for, except for those chrome side mirror covers (hard to notice them the way the car's photographed). Some people love 'em. I'm not a fan. But I have seen that blue interior and I think it looks great.
ANOTHER NOTE: scrolled down the carfax-- according to the state of Florida, that car is blue.

Last edited by pk4144; 04-26-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'll go Big Picture here:

It's understandable that you'd want someone to consider each of your cars. But in reading the comments, you'll notice that most of the observations are either taste (which color/interior combo), XK vs XKR, or some mileage/price preference. These cars almost always look great in any decent photo, and it's hard to tell more than that without driving the actual car. That's why you're not getting a lot of car-by-car analysis.

Also, notice how many folks offered up even more options that fit your criteria. You have now, and will continue to have, a lot of options. The car you end up with might not even be on your list.

What to do? Help us help you. Narrow your own list, and resubmit it. As an example, my own culling:

- I'm one of the guys who's owned both an XK and an XKR. For me, XKR, no question. I'd immediately dump all the XK's.
- I'm not a White Car guy, never have been. So I'd dump all the white cars. Don't care how good the deal is. I'd never be happy.
- on the issue of color: the medium gray (Lunar Grey) is a really handsome color in person. Grey is tricky and that shade nails it. I like it more than silver. Also, as others have noted, there are two blacks and two reds on this car. Go see them in person and figure out which you prefer. And if you want a "color" color, red/blue/green/eggplant (yep, Eggplant, I think they call it "Aubergine"), just know that really narrows your list.
- I'm one of those guys who doesn't care that much about mileage (within reason), if you're not worried about resale or trade-in. I've seen some sweet XKR's with well over 100K miles, so if you buy a 60K mile car you've got lots of driving ahead of you.

One final note about seat leather: for the last few years, Jaguar introduced a "Touring" edition of the XK, in attempt to bolster sales by having a slightly lower base price. (I think it was a terrible idea.) Those cars had limited paint/interior options, less leather inside, and did not have cooled seats. There were some other things stripped out but I can't remember what. My two cents: the Touring Edition XK's are not worth the slightly lower price.

Now go narrow your list, and keep us posted!
I 100% agree on the XKs. I'll put it this way, the 5.0L XK is a great car, but I'd still rather have what I have, a 4.2L XKR, over a 5.0L XK. I'd knock out any XKs, 4.2L or 5.0L; leaving the 4.2L and 5.0L XKRs; with emphasizing the push for a 5.0L car, and only getting the 4.2L if a screaming deal or outstanding example for really fair money.

The Lunar Grey is indeed a very pretty color as well. I like my black car, but that actually was one of the few colors I think can even best it.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Which stitch pattern shows what is leather?
I'm about to refresh my leather but don't want to oil in the wrong parts!:-)

Quick Reply: Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150