XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Yeah, so why do cars have so many round cup holders, and not at least one nice rectangular one for the extra large order of fries container?
I dont know. But who waits till they get home to eat fries and give them time to firm up.
Just ask them to put your fries in a cup.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I did not say my volume knob on the steering wheel was eaten by grease.

I was referring to the soft touch coating on buttons on later cars.

Mercedes, similar issue.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Regarding the worn buttong... I'm not talking about 'sticky buttons' that plague other cars like Maserati and similar... If you look at photos on that dealer page, the talk button on the steering wheel is mashed up pretty good. And the white text on the radio 'source' button was almost worn away. I have not seen wear like that in other cars for sale with more miles. The navy leather with contrasting stitching was not bad in my opinion. I actually liked the color, though I've head that other forum members prefer the brown leather that was the other option for special edition interior color shown here: https://cargur.us/vj_1L

The special edition I was about to purchase (they even had a deposit from me) was listed for approximately 60 days before I saw it, and it's still unsold. To discover it has a sagging headliner in the final hour is total dishonestly by the seller. There's NO WAY that another potential buyer never brought up the issue. It's strange that it was never included in photos... but it's also strange that they never updated photos with the new rotors and tires, though I can verify that they did that work as I got a video walk-around of the car interior/exterior (which, conveniently, ALSO did not show the driver's side upper/outer bolster and the headliner. Bothers me just thinking about how I wasted a week of back/forth negotiation when had I known about the headliner I'd have never considered the car.

Anyways, I'm in the final stages of buying a different 2012 midnight black on black/aluminum XKR from a much more reputable company. Should have it delivered by Thursday.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Poll for the group. I'm currently torn between two cars. Nearly identical in every way... down to the same interior gouge at the drivers side seat belt area. I understand this is basically personal preference.. but do these differences actually carry any value in resale or overall?

Would you pay a $1000 premium for this car:

2013 Jaguar XKR
Carnelian Red Metallic
Unpainted calipers
20" wheels
Black leather / red stitching
aluminum trim
45K miles

over this car:

2012 Jaguar XKR
Midnight Black
Red Calipers
19" wheels
Black leather / charcoal stitching
aluminum trim
45K miles

Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I'd get the 2013. While some folks don't like 20 inch wheels, they ARE a pricey option when new. Are the "Painted Calipers" on the 2012 actually painted? Lots of ways to fiddle that.... could be a can of Rust Oleum brush painted all the way up to polished and powder coated.. and also them dang cheap-*** gross covers snapped on.
Black leather with 'Charcoal' stitching is boring, contrast stitching is always better.
Course, all this also goes towards - do you want a red car, or a black car?

ralphwg (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM

As we know, there's very limited wheel options fur the XKR, unless you want to spend $6k+ for some HREs or similar. I've seen sets of xkr and xkr-s wheels go for around $1000 shipped on eBay. It's also a nice way to get winter wheels and tires. The original 19" wheels being winter, and the 20s being summer.

The calipers really are red from the factory, not aftermarket.

The contrast stitching is an attractive feature... But I almost feel like it seems silly to pay $1000 for some appearance options.

Is that shade of metallic red paint extremely desirable on this community? It almost reminds me of something you'd see on a much lesser vehicle, like a mercury cougar, or ford Taurus. I've never seen it in person, and even videos don't really do it any favors. Is it beautiful to those that have seen it? I'd MUCH prefer a shade like IRR.

Midnight black with the blue flake seems line a very nice color in person, but in photos it just looks black.maybe it's the same thing with this red? If that color affects resale in a positive way, I'd hold it in much higher regard.

Queen and Country (06-23-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you have access to any of the service records on either car?

Old 06-20-2019, 04:55 PM

Yes, the cars are both dealer maintained throughout the warranty period. New brakes, rotors, and tires. Neither has has a water pump, trans filter, or e-diff fluid changed.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

"I know that *gestures to red XKR* is a particularly horrible color, but imagine it in silver, or black..." -- Jeremy Clarkson @ 4:37

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tscik

Queen and Country (06-23-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

I would happily kick in the extra G for the newer car with the added bonus that it's not boring black.
Carnelian Red Metallic may not be as flashy as IRR (or Claret for that matter) but I'm not biased in any way...

Old 06-20-2019, 05:46 PM

That's great... it honestly echoes my sentiments. I feel like I should really like the red, but something about that shade just doesn't speak to me like the black does. In a perfect world I'd have the black/red stitch and aluminum trim in a BRG car with the black pack and 20" wheels, but sometimes you have to settle. At $30K I feel like I'm getting a good deal when it's all said and done.

As I said... if the red was a hot color in the resale market, I'd consider it... but if that's not the case, I'm going with my original preference of Midnight Black (I really like that blue flake).

Old 06-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Really, though, you gotta go with what your gut says.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Radar
Really, though, you gotta go with what your gut says.
Totally agree, I’d always pay more for RED, and I have. But if black scratches your itch, go with it.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

This car just got listed.

Kyanite Blue exterior. A flashy blue similar to your 928's.

Not a lot to go on in details and pictures yet and not listed on the dealer website yet.

29K miles on a 2010.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Not the car for sale, but this will give you a good idea of the color.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
sparky fuze (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
This car just got listed.

Kyanite Blue exterior. A flashy blue similar to your 928's.

Not a lot to go on in details and pictures yet and not listed on the dealer website yet.

29K miles on a 2010.
A bit pricey for a '10 though... I paid about that for MY '10 six years ago, similar mileage and a 'vert.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'll go Big Picture here:

It's understandable that you'd want someone to consider each of your cars. But in reading the comments, you'll notice that most of the observations are either taste (which color/interior combo), XK vs XKR, or some mileage/price preference. These cars almost always look great in any decent photo, and it's hard to tell more than that without driving the actual car. That's why you're not getting a lot of car-by-car analysis.

Also, notice how many folks offered up even more options that fit your criteria. You have now, and will continue to have, a lot of options. The car you end up with might not even be on your list.

What to do? Help us help you. Narrow your own list, and resubmit it. As an example, my own culling:

- I'm one of the guys who's owned both an XK and an XKR. For me, XKR, no question. I'd immediately dump all the XK's.
- I'm not a White Car guy, never have been. So I'd dump all the white cars. Don't care how good the deal is. I'd never be happy.
- on the issue of color: the medium gray (Lunar Grey) is a really handsome color in person. Grey is tricky and that shade nails it. I like it more than silver. Also, as others have noted, there are two blacks and two reds on this car. Go see them in person and figure out which you prefer. And if you want a "color" color, red/blue/green/eggplant (yep, Eggplant, I think they call it "Aubergine"), just know that really narrows your list.
- I'm one of those guys who doesn't care that much about mileage (within reason), if you're not worried about resale or trade-in. I've seen some sweet XKR's with well over 100K miles, so if you buy a 60K mile car you've got lots of driving ahead of you.

One final note about seat leather: for the last few years, Jaguar introduced a "Touring" edition of the XK, in attempt to bolster sales by having a slightly lower base price. (I think it was a terrible idea.) Those cars had limited paint/interior options, less leather inside, and did not have cooled seats. There were some other things stripped out but I can't remember what. My two cents: the Touring Edition XK's are not worth the slightly lower price
How can one tell if it's a touring edition? That's something I'd like to avoid as well.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aloha Bob
How can one tell if it's a touring edition? That's something I'd like to avoid as well.
Read this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-217767/

Title is: What is an XK Touring version? It is only one page long.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Radar
Read this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-217767/

Title is: What is an XK Touring version? It is only one page long.
Thank you. I haven't seen it on any listings but I'm only looking at cars under 20k, usually 07 to 10, so i guess that's why it's never shown up due to it being 2013 and newer.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Did the OP of this thread ever find or purchase a car?

Old 06-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Did the OP of this thread ever find or purchase a car?
As of three days ago:
Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR
Poll for the group. I'm currently torn between two cars. Nearly identical in every way... down to the same interior gouge at the drivers side seat belt area. I understand this is basically personal preference.. but do these differences actually carry any value in resale or overall?

Would you pay a $1000 premium for this car:

2013 Jaguar XKR
Carnelian Red Metallic
Unpainted calipers
20" wheels
Black leather / red stitching
aluminum trim
45K miles

over this car:

2012 Jaguar XKR
Midnight Black
Red Calipers