XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Indeed I did! I got this one, for what I feel is a fair price.

2012 XKR midnight black, charcoal and aluminum trim, red calipers, 45k miles

Here's a question... How much more would you pay for this car that came up today?

2012 XKR, white, charcoal sport seats with aluminum trim, 32k miles, speed pack and black pack

https://www.autobahngallery.com/vehi...44a34956a463fb

The car I purchased:

The following 2 users liked this post by TraxtarXKR:
peterv8 (06-25-2019), Queen and Country (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

This was the best car!!
And your window for buying a long term keeper was rapidly closing as young, well maintained cars are getting rarer.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-23-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Speed pack has the good aero stuff, but I can't do white cars.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Never had a white car either before this one but these cars in white just pop when you see them in person. I've had some nice cars but I've never got more compliments than I do with this one in just a short time.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR

The car I purchased:
I dunno. I saw some dust on one of the exhaust pipes. I'd return it.
I like the white coupe, just not a fan of the black pack. Too trendy for my taste.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by TraxtarXKR

Here's a question... How much more would you pay for this car that came up today?

2012 XKR, white, charcoal sport seats with aluminum trim, 32k miles, speed pack and black pack

The car I purchased:

. Congrats. Looks like a winner! How much did the Jewel set you back? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=TraxtarXKR;2089061]Indeed I did! I got this one, for what I feel is a fair price.

The car I purchased:

/QUOTE]

No offense, Trax, but you've been like the proverbial kid-in-a-candy-store for the last two months, second guessing every aspect of every option--and that's fine. But you've made your choice based on all the information you could gather and all the opinions that you received--the worst thing you could do after choosing (although we all tend to do it...) is to agonize over what-might-have-been and drive yourself into buyer's remorse.

Stop looking at cars for sale and and get out on the road to enjoy the excellent choice you made!

The following 3 users liked this post by Old Radar:
ralphwg (06-24-2019), Ranchero50 (07-09-2019), sparky fuze (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Being a kid in a candy store is literally the point of this thread... Getting opinions of others that are more familiar with the car. Asking what impacts resale value, in terms of options and colors, etc. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Car arrived on July 4th.. (how about that??)

It's in great shape, with no glaring issues in 2 drives. Everything appears to work as it should, with minimal cosmetic issues. 1 scratch might need to be filled with a paint pen, and there's a small spot where the clear coat is etched from bird crap (probably) sitting on it for too long. One headlight has a bit of a haze to it, but nothing that can't be wet sanded out and cleared over.

On a positive note, the dealer noticed that the headliner was beginning to detach right before shipment, so he kept the car another 2 days to get it professionally redone and having the upholstery shop fix a gouge in the leather seat belt area from the PO carelessly tossing a suitcase back there... and that's in addition to a perfectly resprayed front bumper, new Michelin PSS tires, new rotors and pads, and a set of 2012 user manuals since the car didn't have them.

Special thanks to Queen and Country for spending some time to educate me on a few of the unique nuances of the car and help ask dealers the right questions... some that I definitely would not have thought to ask without having personal knowledge about driving the car.

I've already purchased a few 'styling' bits to personalize it, like the Aero Kit Rear Spoiler (C2P22061XXX), Mesh Upper Grille Surround Black (C2P21934), Black bumper bezels (C2P22649, C2P22650), and XKR-S Rocker mouldings (C2P21656XXX, C2P21657XXX).

Speaking of that spoiler (
C2P22061XXX), I read somewhere that it's been superseded by a new part number that is 'stiffer'... but I can't find the number. Anyone have it?

Regardless, here's to a long future of miles and smiles. All the best.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 07-08-2019 at 10:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TraxtarXKR:
peterv8 (07-08-2019), Queen and Country (07-08-2019), sklimii (07-11-2019), sparky fuze (07-08-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

Outside of Germany, I don't think the Speed Pack has much value and I initially thought they looked a bit too much with the aero pack but I actually like the way the aero pack makes the rear look lower from the side view. However popular white on black seems to be, for me, black wheels and trim on white makes any car look dull. Jaguars look best with a little chrome, so silver wheels and the chrome is just right (black or white car). These are not copy race cars. The 20" wheels would have looked good in silver but the car probably drives more sweetly on lighter 19" wheels and slightly narrower rubber.

No wood though suits the XKR.

For me, the right speed pack car would have been worth a little extra but used, there seems to be little difference here.

But does that white car have the Speed Pack? There are no sill extensions or rear part of the body kit or did that change for the 2013 model?

Of those two cars, I think I would not have wanted to pay much more for the white one as I would have to have the wheels painted or replaced. But newer year and lower mileage will mean an automatic increase in value. These cars are all nice. People have slightly different tastes and they got kitted out a little differently (even though there were far too many blacks and white with black interiors and black wheels). Shame it is so hard to find ones in brighter colours.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:30 PM

The white car is VERY similar to the car I bought.

At $4K difference, I did the math to see if I could turn my midnight black car into the white car (minus the sport seats, which I prefer the cooled 'standard' seats).

I think it's not a stretch to find better wheels, aeropack spoiler, black grille surround, black bumper inserts, 3 piece front splitter, XKR-S rocker panels, and an aftermarket exhaust for less than $4000.

Here are the items my car has that the white one doesn't have (according to bulid sheet):

Red Calipers
Spare Tire and Kit
Suede Headliner

And Here are the items that the white car has that my car does not have (According to build sheet. Note, it does NOT have the speed limit increased to 175mph... Build sheet says same standard limit):

Aerodynamic Kit (Looks to be the aeropack spoiler, and 3 piece front splitter)
Side Vents (Gloss Black)
Wheel Arch Spats
Daimler Style Seats
Black fascia and upper door trim
20" Kalimnos - Gloss Black
Grille (Gloss Black)
Gloss Black Boot Plinth
Leather Headliner
Performance Active Exhaust

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 07-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Does anyone ever say when their *** is melting in the southern heat and their skin is stuck to the leather, I wish I had the aeropack.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

The car you have, has a fresh headliner, correct?

Something to factor in is all the work that just been done to it.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren
The car you have, has a fresh headliner, correct?

Something to factor in is all the work that just been done to it.
Absolutely true. The dealer went above and beyond to ensure that he was delivering a car he'd be comfortable purchasing himself. The dealer for the white car was very shady on how they answered my questions. So far, I have no regrets in my purchase.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Received 293 Likes on 199 Posts

The later seats look cool but the earlier seats are cool

All XKRs have the active exhaust, right? Is the Performance Active Exhaust different still?

The aero kit suits the XKR and apparently is effective. Never driven any other XK fast enough to notice a difference though.

Mine has the red calipers and I would not have cared if it had the grey ones. Both are painted and paying for the red pigment would have seemed pointless for me if I had been ordering new.

The rest is mainly cosmetic so just a matter of taste if one wants to have the bits or not.

You seem to have done very well, so hopefully years of pleasure in ownership.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by neilr

All XKRs have the active exhaust, right? Is the Performance Active Exhaust different still?
I seem to recall Cambo found out that the PAE houses an X-Pipe in one of the center silencers rather than a straight through system.

You could remove one of the center silencers, place an X-pipe, and get the car tuned for similar effect.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I seem to recall Cambo found out that the PAE houses an X-Pipe in one of the center silencers rather than a straight through system.

You could remove one of the center silencers, place an X-pipe, and get the car tuned for similar effect.
The back box is the same for the standard XKR exhaust and has the vacuum operated valves which open up the 2 outside exhaust tips. The PAE has an X pipe without any other silencers in the center section and was an option. The PAE was a $1400 option for my 2012 XKR.

The following users liked this post:
neilr (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Here's the standard active exhaust for comparison:

Most capable muffler shops can fabricate the x-pipe section in-house for a few hundred dollars.

The aeropack spoiler (though I can't find the right part number) can be found used on eBay for about $300 shipped.

The front splitter, hood inserts, and rear valence (all in carbon fiber) are available from Mina for about $700 shipped.

Rocker panels and black pack bumper/grille parts are all available from jaguar for $850.

Custom wheels with tires can be had for about $2k or less...

I'm not sure how much a tune would cost, but it would definitely end up with a faster car.

So, I can create a car more suited to me, for less money than the price difference, and still have a new headliner, rotors, pads, and fresh bumper on top of it all.

Last edited by TraxtarXKR; 07-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Earlier you mentioned resale value.

I have never browsed an XK or XKR for sale that had aftermarket wheels where the aftermarket wheels have been a positive value increase to the car.

I'd say it varies depending on the wheels from slight negative, to major negative.

I have aftermarket wheels on my car, so I'm not trying to dissuade you too much.

It is difficult to beat the fashion of OEM wheels specifically designed to look right on the big cat.

Before getting aftermarket parts from Mina, you might want to search and find some other users that have posted pictures. Make sure it is satisfactory to your standards.

If there are parts of the car you do not want in chrome, they can be wrapped instead of replaced.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-11-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM

That's the beauty. I get to keep the original wheels, exhaust, spoiler, etc... and easily convert the car back to "stock" at any time. Sell the parts separately, and get some nice pocket change back in return.

Quick Reply: Requesting paid veteran assistance with choosing a first X150