XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 03:57 PM
Received 102 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Resale Value

Since Jaguar seems insistent about becoming all electric, how do you feel this will affect resale value?? Will they continue to make parts for the gas engines and provide labor for repairs? Thoughts?

Old 08-18-2024, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
Since Jaguar seems insistent about becoming all electric, how do you feel this will affect resale value?? Will they continue to make parts for the gas engines and provide labor for repairs? Thoughts?
Many dealerships now are no longer repairing Jags that are older than 10 years.

The following users liked this post:
XKRAU (08-22-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 04:19 PM

Yikes!!! I checked both of my local Jag dealerships and neither have any used cars for sale ~ only NEW

Old 08-18-2024, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,492 Posts

And parts are hard or impossible to get too.

However JLR have contracted with BMW for engines so I reckon new models will be supported for some time.

911Königin (08-20-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

The Big Cat has 9 lives. Sure, the writing is on the wall, but that'll be 1 down and 8 to go. It ain't dead yet.

The appeal of the X150 is the body style, beauty is forever. All it takes is $$$$ to keep it alive. Just remove all the electronics and replace the entire drivetrain with old school analog components from Ford or GM that don't talk to each other. It's unlikely that they'll go out of business.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
911Königin (08-20-2024), luv2fly (08-19-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,461 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
The Big Cat has 9 lives. Sure, the writing is on the wall, but that'll be 1 down and 8 to go. It ain't dead yet.

The appeal of the X150 is the body style, beauty is forever. All it takes is $$$$ to keep it alive. Just remove all the electronics and replace the entire drivetrain with old school analog components from Ford or GM that don't talk to each other. It's unlikely that they'll go out of business.
Or go the other way... get a stand-alone motor/battery contraption, ditch all the interior crap and use add-on gauges and such.

Old 08-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

One of the problems I have with electric motor power is the silence. I enjoy the sounds of my 4.2L supercharged V8 engine, particularly with Fuse 19 removed. I'd rather have that than ludicrous acceleration. You can't safely use that acceleration in a city, but I can always enjoy the V8 soundtrack.

The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart S:
911Königin (08-20-2024), David993S (08-19-2024), Hans Amstein (08-22-2024), kj07xk (08-19-2024), XKRAU (08-22-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 07:53 AM
Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Karen,
No one can predict the future, especially when it comes to potential future values. I've made money on cars, and (more often) lost money - but I've never bought one with future value in mind. Personally, I think there's a good possibility the XK/XKR will go up in value considering Jags' move to all electric, but it may take quite a long time. Just my guess as my crystal ball is broken. Regarding, parts and repair, I wouldn't let that deter you from buying an XK/XKR. We'll be able to get aftermarket parts and have independent shops service them. I use my Porsche mechanic in Dayton for service on my XK and the other cars, and you could use NJB Automotive in Westerville, OH (they service my Ferrari) and are top notch.
Keep looking - you'll find the one you want and be thrilled once you get it.
Cheers.

Last edited by David993S; 08-19-2024 at 07:54 AM.
911Königin (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 09:22 AM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
One of the problems I have with electric motor power is the silence. I enjoy the sounds of my 4.2L supercharged V8 engine, particularly with Fuse 19 removed. I'd rather have that than ludicrous acceleration. You can't safely use that acceleration in a city, but I can always enjoy the V8 soundtrack.
Gotta wonder what the EV Hellicat's "Frazinator" (fake 600W "engine sound" stereo mounted in trunk) sounds like. Hopefully no lyrics.

Old 08-19-2024, 09:45 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CA Jag
Gotta wonder what the EV Hellicat's "Frazinator" (fake 600W "engine sound" stereo mounted in trunk) sounds like. Hopefully no lyrics.
There's a video out there with the sound and it sounds good. Still wouldn't have the car.

Old 08-19-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,461 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Originally Posted by CA Jag
Originally Posted by luv2fly
There's a video out there with the sound and it sounds good. Still wouldn't have the car.
Kind of sounds like an attempted big cat 'Growl' to me. Like they did it on purpose.

Old 08-19-2024, 04:23 PM
Received 146 Likes on 64 Posts

As one of the (many) opportunities I passed up in my younger days, my buddy Mick was hatching a plan to go home to London, buy up four E Types and the spare parts needed to get them back on the road, and ship them back to Colorado to fix them up in my garage. This was the early 1980's and he figured we could get the cars and parts for $3000-$4000 each, fix them up, and then sell a couple to cover all our costs. If we'd gone through with it, that car would be worth a nice bundle today. Classic cars always seem to bottom out at the 10-15 year mark, then start appreciating again after 20 years or so...

The following 4 users liked this post by CurtJ:
911Königin (08-20-2024), Cee Jay (08-19-2024), Hans Amstein (08-22-2024), XKRAU (08-22-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtJ
As one of the (many) opportunities I passed up in my younger days, my buddy Mick was hatching a plan to go home to London, buy up four E Types and the spare parts needed to get them back on the road, and ship them back to Colorado to fix them up in my garage. This was the early 1980's and he figured we could get the cars and parts for $3000-$4000 each, fix them up, and then sell a couple to cover all our costs. If we'd gone through with it, that car would be worth a nice bundle today. Classic cars always seem to bottom out at the 10-15 year mark, then start appreciating again after 20 years or so...
For classic sports cars anyway. Its a bit longer for sedans and wagons. I believe the short term for "used" Jaguars is probably pretty bleak as people do their due-diligence and realize that there is reduced support, a lot fewer Jaguar dealers, fewer still willing to work on one over 10 years old, limited parts-availability and indys making service appointments a month or more out. But of course, this situation has always been normal for Jaguars over 20 years old so it will have less of an impact on long-term prices. The guy who dreamed of an F-type as a teenager will still want one just as badly when he reaches that mid-life crisis.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdupler:
911Königin (08-20-2024), CurtJ (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 06:17 AM
Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

As a base XK Owner, I would say that the NA 5.0L will be the least desirable model, down the road. XKR, XKR-S and XKR-S GTs will be the collector items in the future. I have no regrets getting my car, but if I was buying now, the supercharged versions are what I would be searching out. The good news is there is a lot of cross compatibility mechanically with the F-Type which might keep some parts available for longer. The interior plastic parts, head units and electronics will be harder and harder to come by.

911Königin (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 08:33 AM
Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanU
As a base XK Owner, I would say that the NA 5.0L will be the least desirable model, down the road. XKR, XKR-S and XKR-S GTs will be the collector items in the future. I have no regrets getting my car, but if I was buying now, the supercharged versions are what I would be searching out. The good news is there is a lot of cross compatibility mechanically with the F-Type which might keep some parts available for longer. The interior plastic parts, head units and electronics will be harder and harder to come by.
Sean,

why do you think that the base 5.0 will be the least desirable?
John

Old 08-20-2024, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by David993S
Hi Karen,
No one can predict the future, especially when it comes to potential future values. I've made money on cars, and (more often) lost money - but I've never bought one with future value in mind. Personally, I think there's a good possibility the XK/XKR will go up in value considering Jags' move to all electric, but it may take quite a long time. Just my guess as my crystal ball is broken. Regarding, parts and repair, I wouldn't let that deter you from buying an XK/XKR. We'll be able to get aftermarket parts and have independent shops service them. I use my Porsche mechanic in Dayton for service on my XK and the other cars, and you could use NJB Automotive in Westerville, OH (they service my Ferrari) and are top notch.
Keep looking - you'll find the one you want and be thrilled once you get it.
Cheers.
I agree David ~ I don't buy cars for resale, mostly reliability (Lexus/Toyota) and looks (that I like). Jack is awesome and I'm sure he would do a great job with Jags also......guess we will just have to rely on our indies.

Old 08-20-2024, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
And parts are hard or impossible to get too.

However JLR have contracted with BMW for engines so I reckon new models will be supported for some time.
Like the Supra ~ it is 80% BMW.................so, just buy a BMW? They are super fun to drive, but I LOVE sexy

I could 'manage' with this one, though

Last edited by 911Königin; 08-20-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Purdy Jag (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 12:38 PM
Received 233 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanU
I'd agree. For what it's worth I've noticed in the past that it's the top-of-the-range versions of any particular model that seem to hold/gain value the most so if I was looking for an XK as an investment it would be at least an XKR if not an XKRS or XKRS-GT, it would be a convertible (if not an XKRS-GT) and it would have every possible option and be in original factory state (no mods or upgrades).

Mind you, 'top of the range' isn't always clear-cut. A series III E-Type will never be worth as much as a series I or II...

Old 08-20-2024, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by SDCR_XK
Sean,

why do you think that the base 5.0 will be the least desirable?
John
Always been the case. Its the more modern equivalent of "Big Block". Doesn't even have to make sense. Many of the small block cars from the 60s were far easier to live with on a daily basis, rode better, handled better, ran cooler, came with power brakes/steering, air conditioning, etc. but collectors today want the most powerful version that they dreamed of, the ones that were featured in the magazines winning races, when they were a teenager or 20-something. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. Its not that they will ever take it to a drag strip, heaven's no, its too valuable now to ever expose to such a risk today (nor would most have actually raced it could they have bought one when it was brand new). Collecting is all about bragging rights. Heck I met a guy at a funeral, mentioned that I had a restored 68 Mustang coupe with a 302 and of course he has a Mustang too, several in fact, including a 69 Mach 1 and a 70 Boss 302. Later that day I learned from his relatives that yes, he has dozens of rare muscle cars, but they're all wrecked, rusting hulks that he mostly acquired in the 70s and 80s when they were worthless and have been rotting outside in the woods around his home for 50 years. He just likes being able to say "I have one of those with a <insert bigger engine size or rarer trim level than yours>" no matter what car comes up in conversation. But that's the psyche of collecting that drives prices, to own something that the other guys don't. I'm guilty myself but my rule is everything has to look good and run and drive, so I can only brag that I own a Jaguar sedan to everyone who owns a Camry.

Old 08-20-2024, 09:46 PM
Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Always been the case. It’s the more modern equivalent of "Big Block". Doesn't even have to make sense. Many of the small block cars from the 60s were far easier to live with on a daily basis, rode better, handled better, ran cooler, came with power brakes/steering, air conditioning, etc. but collectors today want the most powerful version that they dreamed of, the ones that were featured in the magazines winning races, when they were a teenager or 20-something. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. Its not that they will ever take it to a drag strip, heaven's no, its too valuable now to ever expose to such a risk today (nor would most have actually raced it could they have bought one when it was brand new). Collecting is all about bragging rights. Heck I met a guy at a funeral, mentioned that I had a restored 68 Mustang coupe with a 302 and of course he has a Mustang too, several in fact, including a 69 Mach 1 and a 70 Boss 302. Later that day I learned from his relatives that yes, he has dozens of rare muscle cars, but they're all wrecked, rusting hulks that he mostly acquired in the 70s and 80s when they were worthless and have been rotting outside in the woods around his home for 50 years. He just likes being able to say "I have one of those with a <insert bigger engine size or rarer trim level than yours>" no matter what car comes up in conversation. But that's the psyche of collecting that drives prices, to own something that the other guys don't. I'm guilty myself but my rule is everything has to look good and run and drive, so I can only brag that I own a Jaguar sedan to everyone who owns a Camry.
Phil,
I am confused. Do you disagree with Sean’s assessment that the bigger, 5.0 is going to be the “ least desirable” ?

Quick Reply: Resale Value