XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 703 Posts

The base 5.0 will be least desirable not "bigger", since there's nothing bigger, just supercharged, and then bigger brakes and stuff beyond that. I'm just pointing out that among collectors, the value is in how bad collectors want it and how many covet it and not so much in the practical enjoyment that they are going to derive from using it. Just look at BaT and how many such supercars are reposted for sale two or more years later, driven barely far enough to use a tank of gas. Whether Jaguar is still around, making electric vehicles will make little to no difference for the most collectible models because they're really not likely going to be driven much anyway. It's not like anybody is going to drive an XKR-S cross country, counting on there being a Jaguar dealer in every major city to repair it if something breaks.

Last edited by pdupler; 08-21-2024 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2024, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,461 Likes on 3,219 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
................. It's not like anybody is going to drive an XKR-S cross country, counting on there being a Jaguar dealer in every major city to repair it if something breaks.
I'm not disputing what you said, just pointing out that "Cross Country" in the USA is vastly different than driving across nearly every other country. My 'next major city' is farther away than most other countries next COUNTRY.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 07:27 AM
Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

It's just the perception of what the "best" car is. In most press reports and reviews over the years, the base 5.0L was usually mentioned in passing, while the XKR was the actual car getting reviewed. From an owners perspective, I like the base model for its simplicity... to me it is easy to live with and maintain. I also like the fact that the base models and XKR don't have any of the extra aero bits that to me don't fit the original design of the car. But the truth is a "collector" looking for a car that will increase in value will go for the lower production number cars that are rarer and most likely in the best condition.

Old 08-21-2024, 08:20 AM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
The base 5.0 will be least desirable not "bigger", since there's nothing bigger, just supercharged, and then bigger brakes and stuff beyond that. I'm just pointing out that among collectors, the value is in how bad collectors want it and how many covet it and not so much in the practical enjoyment that they are going to derive from using it. Just look at BaT and how many such supercars are reposted for sale two or more years later, driven barely far enough to use a tank of gas. Whether Jaguar is still around, making electric vehicles will make little to no difference for the most collectible models because they're really not likely going to be driven much anyway. It's not like anybody is going to drive an XKR-S cross country, counting on there being a Jaguar dealer in every major city to repair it if something breaks.
I'd have to respectfully disagree on the cross country bit @pdupler . I bought my 07 XKR specifically to drive cross country, SC to CA and back and northern plains in between. My rendition of the old TV show Route 66 with Todd and Buzz, but in my case me and my CA Navy buddy Scott. I would hope the XKR would be as reliable as my XJR was. It made the trip to CA and back through NV, UT, MT, WY, SD, IA down to 40 and back. And to OK and back several times. One high speed run in TX damaged a CAT and I replaced them when I got home. Otherwise flawless trips.

Is anyone having trouble inserting pictures or documents besides me? Crashes my browser every time, Brave or Firefox. Used different computer. Still don't know what the problem is with the other one. Anyhow, shots from Black Hills, somewhere in AZ and Painted Desert, AZ.

Last edited by luv2fly; 08-21-2024 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2fly:
guy (08-21-2024), kj07xk (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly
. ... Is anyone having trouble inserting pictures or documents besides me? Crashes my browser every time, Brave or Firefox.
@luv2fly I'm running the Brave browser on my Motorola Edge Plus 2023. I'm in my kitchen connected to my AT&T Fiber 5G home WiFi network. Attached are (1) a photo, the Crepe Myrtle in my front yard, and (2) a .PDF document, my phone's User Guide Guide.

If you can see the photo and open the document, then everything works for me. Your problems probably are caused by one or more settings that are incorrect and blocking what you want to do. I've been down that road and it's a PIA to get everything working properly. I am not a techie, just an ex-shade tree mechanic who never gives up.

​​Stuart

luv2fly (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,027 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
If you can see the photo and open the document, then everything works for me.
Everything is fine with your uploads, at least when reading with Safari on my iPhone.

Old 08-21-2024, 01:07 PM
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Added x-country pics to my previous post from another computer.

Old 08-21-2024, 06:02 PM
Received 118 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Königin
I agree David ~ I don't buy cars for resale, mostly reliability (Lexus/Toyota) and looks (that I like). Jack is awesome and I'm sure he would do a great job with Jags also......guess we will just have to rely on our indies.

Actually, Jack tragically passed away late last year. But Kevin (the main mechanic) and his crew are still running NJB Automotive. So I don't hesitate to take the Ferrari to him.

Old 08-21-2024, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhill
I'd agree. For what it's worth I've noticed in the past that it's the top-of-the-range versions of any particular model that seem to hold/gain value the most so if I was looking for an XK as an investment it would be at least an XKR if not an XKRS or XKRS-GT, it would be a convertible (if not an XKRS-GT) and it would have every possible option and be in original factory state (no mods or upgrades).

Mind you, 'top of the range' isn't always clear-cut. A series III E-Type will never be worth as much as a series I or II...
just FYI a rear xkrs GT shocks is like 8-9k…. They misquoted my xkrs and I damn near passed out…

Cee Jay (08-21-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 12:49 AM
Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

I almost had a heart attack on how much my high school and university rides cost.

My first car in high school was a Datsun 1600 purchase for $500, fitted rally cams and dual SU carbie, they are now exchanging hands for $35k for an unmolested ones.
Had a couple of Toyota Celica coupe and fastback (mini Mustang) for about $2000, fitted 2litre 18RG twincam JDM motors with twin Webber carbies, now they are going for $40k-$60k!!
Had a Mazda RX3 purchase for about $3000 but I couldn't afford the fuel bills, now they are exchanging hands for $150k-$200k.
Had Toyota MR2 turbo and Mazda RX7 FD Twin Turbo when I was single and made money working my *** off, and now asking stupid money!!

I notice the people buying those cars has spare cash and wants to rekindle their childhood and willing to pay for them.

Will the Jaguar X150 be a future collectable, yeah maybe but it really depends on the future demographics who is willing to purchase them off your hands when its time to sell.

At the meantime just enjoy the Jag for what it is and the experiences that it brings to you. I'll be happy to sell my Jag for the same amount of money I purchase it for but the experience it brings to me is priceless.

Old 08-22-2024, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 703 Posts

I didn't mean to make it sound like nobody uses their older Jaguars for touring anymore, just that as cars age out of the used car market and into the classic car market, their actual use declines and the value is driven by collectors moreso than drivers.

luv2fly (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 02:29 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

An interesting question. I was thinking along these lines the other day. I suspect a cottage industry will exist, and with 3D printing, all sorts of things can be produced inexpensively and efficiently without aggravation. Gasoline is not going away in the US any time soon. While electric vehicles will be a large part of the market, I see there always being a market for ICE vehicles for those of use with high octane running through our veins. I perceive the car hobby as becoming even more popular, and demand possibly increasing for the experience of older vehicles. But this transition will be something to watch. Will moving to a higher price point actually create such demand that there will be renewed popularity as a marque? If so, I would suspect that would transfer to previous models regardless of what propels it. My personal take is to buy what you like and can afford and enjoy it. I don't like planned obsolescence, and generally keep my vehicles for a long time. Resale value has never mattered to me because the type of vehicles that have appealed to me are usually unique and wouldn't be considered an investment....the money I spend on a vehicle is purely for pleasure that you can't put a price on.

Old 08-22-2024, 07:24 AM
Received 233 Likes on 120 Posts

@eksjaysix I also once had a lovely 4.0 XJ40, in Sage Green. I don't have a picture of it any more but I do have one of the 4.0 XJR I replaced it with. The previous owner sold it to me saying it had "lost power". Turned out the throttle cable had stretched! Sadly that car's gone now too. The XJ40s were nice cars and worth way more now than when I sold mine.