XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rightside Mirror and Window not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rightside Mirror and Window not working

Was adjusting the passenger side mirror, and now the mirror and window do not work. and when I arm the alarm, i get a double beep once I arm it..any ideas how to fix??

thanks

al

Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Try reseting the windows (hold both window buttons down until you hear a click , then hold both window buttons up until you hear a click.

Then have your battery load tested, it may be getting weak or be partially discharged. A low battery can cause spurious electronic faults.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Start the engine up. Then try the mirror and window. If they don't work now, then it isn't the battery.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Thank you..I didn't know you could reset the windows using that procedures..I will give it a try tonight..thank you

al

Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hailers
Start the engine up. Then try the mirror and window. If they don't work now, then it isn't the battery.
Not necessarily true. What happens is the the voltage can dip too low with a weak battery to maintain the computer module operation due to the heavy load when starting. The module(s) can then 'crash' and require a reset.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM

There is a module for the passenger window and another module for the passenger mirror.

Both are fed from a 25a fuse in the auxillary fuse box behind the rear seats (remove the middle pad b/t the rear seats and it's staring you in the face.

That's how it is on a 2007 non supercharged XK.

Drivers handbook shows how to remove the pad b/t the rear seats to access the fuse box and the same book shows the location of the fuses.

Fuse name is : Pass Door Zone ECM

Engine runs, alt puts out.......feeds battery buss........which in turn feeds Aux fuse box and its fuses. No low batt involved.

Shoulda said Auxillary junction box instead of aux fuse box. Oh well.

Attached Thumbnails Rightside Mirror and Window not working-module-passenger-door.jpg   Rightside Mirror and Window not working-passenger-window.jpg   Rightside Mirror and Window not working-pass-door-zone-ecm.jpg  

Last edited by Hailers; 02-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Everything you say is correct. The problem occurs because there is a delay of some milliseconds from when the starter is engaged and the alternator begins supplying sufficient current. These are mechanical processes and are not instantaneous.

If the battery is weak, the voltage to all systems in the car may briefly drop too low and cause a one or more computer modules to crash. The modules are designed to attempt to recover from this type of event, but are not always successful.

The following users liked this post:
Hailers (02-11-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Default Battery drain causes

So a possible battery drain may be the cause of the modules not resetting?
I tried to reset the switches holding them down and up, but no Joy..I will check the fuses and put a load on the battery to charge it..as always thank you for your support in this matter..
al

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by synperkaya
"put a load on the battery to charge it"

Not sure what you mean by this.

Best thing to do is to have the battery tested for free by a store that sells batteries. If you replace the battery everything will reset when the battery is removed.

If the car had been sitting for a long time without being driven, however, it may just need a charge. In this case you may need to remove the negative terminal of the battery for a few seconds to reset the system.

Bottom line is until you know the condition of the battery, you may not really be able to tell if there are other 'real' problems unless there are fuses blown.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-12-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM

JPGS Show how to access the Aux Junction Box.

Just drive the car or idle it for thirty minutes. If the batt is worthwhile the thing should be charged up enough for anything. If this car has had no problem starting up, then I say it isn't the battery. I've a batt put in 05/08 and have no battery problems.

If the fuse is blown........then there's probably something causing that. But what the heck, put a new fuse in and have a go. Or if it's blown, then look at the Door Zone ECM fuse and swap 'em out and have a go.

Move the drivers seat all the way fwd and then tilt the drivers seat full fwd. That gives one room to get in the back and grab the pad b/t the two rear seats with both hands (like the Owners manual says I believe). Grab it near the top six inches on both sides. Make a sharp yank fwd. It should release, then you LIFT UP about six inches to fully remove the thing. Aux fuse box is now in full view.

Attached Thumbnails Rightside Mirror and Window not working-aux-fuse-box.jpg   Rightside Mirror and Window not working-aux-fuse-box-two.jpg   Rightside Mirror and Window not working-aux-junction-box.jpg   Rightside Mirror and Window not working-auxillary-junction-box-rear-seat-area.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Thumbs up Update on my windows

Okay, after trying the various procedures, Ie..fuse and switch reset, I had no success. So I took my jaguar to the dealer, of which the problem was covered. According to the senior Tech, it all stemmed from my Battery running weak. He told me that the drivers side module had shut down due to the low battery. He charged the battery, then reset the modules via some software on a notebook. and the windows started to work. He also mentioned that the convertible top will hose up due to the windows not responding, to not try and open the top unless all windows are operating. The window switch reset procedures according to him was to roll both windows all the way down, release the switch then hold down until you hear a click, and reverse the procedures going up. This procedures is to align the top and bottom movement of the windows.
Thanks to all for your support in this matter.
Al

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for coming back with your fix!

Vince

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Default Battery replacement info as well

While I was there at the dealer, I was told that the Jaguar Warranty would only honor Interstate Batteries. if I were to replace my battery it would have to be from Interstate, so it would not void warranty.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by synperkaya
While I was there at the dealer, I was told that the Jaguar Warranty would only honor Interstate Batteries. if I were to replace my battery it would have to be from Interstate, so it would not void warranty.
Not sure that is a valid comment, and may even be illegal... Moot if Jag is doing it for free to you. But if you are buying a battery out of your pocket and it meets specs, I'm not sure they can do a thing about it.
Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

We also had a big battery discusion a while back, might not hurt to read through it.

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 02-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Im sorry about that, since I am a new member, I dont get on this site to often, but your most likely correct, just repeated the conversation I had about the battery. The Service tech was real adamant about the battery meeting the specs with Interstate. Since my Jaguar is covered by an extended warranty I don't want a battery to the reason for the dealer to blame any future issues with the Car

thanks, and I will make sure to read previous posts about the batteries in the XK next time

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Thanks for following up. I had thought there was almost an exact copy of this thread a little while ago where it also turned out to be a weak battery.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

In the XK8 forum we have discovered that the power windows make a superb low battery indicator. Nice to see that Jag kept this feature in the redesign.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 37 Posts

>> Nice to see that Jag kept this feature in the redesign.

I'm not sure its that simple - I think the X150 is a lot more sophisticated, and when the CAN-bus crashes due to low voltages, all kinds of 'strange' transient errors occur....
The ghost of Joseph Lucas would approve.

Ah - and a belated welcome to this forum: I've read your postings on the XK8 side with interest for quite a while ! Are you planning any mods for the X150 ??

Jeremy

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeremyB
>> Nice to see that Jag kept this feature in the redesign.

I'm not sure its that simple - I think the X150 is a lot more sophisticated, and when the CAN-bus crashes due to low voltages, all kinds of 'strange' transient errors occur....
The ghost of Joseph Lucas would approve.

Ah - and a belated welcome to this forum: I've read your postings on the XK8 side with interest for quite a while ! Are you planning any mods for the X150 ??

Jeremy

The XK8 was a bit ahead of its time when it was intoduced in '96 and also has a CAN and other busses. It too is a complex beast, but I have to agree, the X150 is another level of complexity.

I am currently working on a remote top controller for the X150 convertible. Once that is done, I will see if it is feasible to develop a well integrated backup camera (current camera adapters require manually switching to navigation, which sucks).

That is all I have for the moment...but I am open to ideas!

And thanks for the welcome!!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-22-2013 at 09:37 PM.