XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sad day! She got killed by a pickup!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sad day! She got killed by a pickup!

Leaving my office Monday, my wife stopped at an intersection with obstructed view by a panel van. With foot of brake, she was inching out to see when an old Dakota pkup hit her at 50+ MPH and ripped entire right front suspension off! Our beloved XK gave itself up to save her!!! Shock tower is compromised and left door doesn't close properly suggesting internal structure is compromised. I am 90+% sure they're going to total her!!

She is scared to drive! She does not want another XK....Bummer!!! She walked away with a bump on her forehead and proceeded to cry about the car!!!! Yea our insurance is going after theirs for blatant unreasonable speed in a 25 mph zone.
Today I take her looking for a Range Rover Evoque. At least its British! and beautiful.

Sadly one of the reasons doesn't want to replace it is the ride. Its perfectly wonderful on open roads or quality paving, but on secondary roads (ie going to our house in Maine), Jaguar foolishly did not give us a comfort setting to coddle the occupants a bit more. I only mention this because of the F Type posts hoing they got the suspension right. Jaguar aka Tata should buy Lotus and learn a few bits about suspension tuning because both my wife and I agree that the ride on my Evora is better than the XK was and, of course, its track abilities are incredible at the same time!! How they do it????? Don't believe me, drive an Evora. For the dollar one of the most wonderful cars built today and , of course, its BRITISH!!!

Attached Thumbnails Sad day!  She got killed by a pickup!-20140922_143851resized.jpg  

Last edited by ddsski; 09-26-2014 at 06:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddsski:
Lothar52 (09-26-2014), mosesbotbol (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

So sorry to hear about your car... looking at the pic it was one hell of an impact! *But* your car did at least manage to protect your wife despite the severity of the crash! It's what quite a few Jags seem to have been doing lately for people here :-(
After that crash you might find your wife prefers the higher stance of the Evoque to be honest.. I hope your insurance pays as much as you hope, and that you find another car (ideally a Brit :-)) very shortly

The following users liked this post:
ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
I only mention this because of the F Type posts hoing they got the suspension right. Jaguar aka Tata should buy Lotus and learn a few bits about suspension tuning because both my wife and I agree that the ride on my Evora is better than the XK was and, of course, its track abilities are incredible at the same time!! How they do it????? Don't believe me, drive an Evora. For the dollar one of the most wonderful cars built today and , of course, its BRITISH!!!
Glad she is alright; cars can be replaced. You are right on the Evora, much better over the bumps than the XK. You are right on the 2nd part too.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Sorry about your car. Your wife is one very lucky woman, had she inched out another foot or two, I'm not sure a tank could have protected her. Thank goodness she's okay, the car can be replaced.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 4,326 Likes on 3,736 Posts

glad your wife is ok!!! bummer on the car but as others have said replaceable.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Sorry about your car but, the main thing is that your wife is Ok.

About your future selections; do take the Evoque for a long test drive as I had read in some reviews that the ride tended to be harsh and choppy. Not sure which model/option the review was made on.

I am also with you on the ride issue, not only on the XK but, on many of the Jaguar models. I personally think that Jaguar suspension team is wrong in using springs and dampers that are set too firmly. I was always in the camp that preferred softer springs, adjustable dampers and heavier anti-roll bars. My long time winning record in SCCA racing with such setups proved the concept.

I had an ongoing issue with my XJL with that choppy ride and finally given up on a resolution. Altogether, while I would prefer a better ride in my XKR, I still went back to it after selling my '08XK because the total package was worth it for me. I had found no other car, including the new F-type, that drew me in with the same kind of emotional attachment as did the XKR.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car, but glad the wife is ok, if a little shaken by the sounds of it.

Jag owner or not you'll always be welcome here

Best

Jim

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

So sad to see this.... Such a beautiful Cat.

She made her family proud by protecting the one she loved to the end. RIP sweet sweet kitty....

Question: What size rims were you running? (I cant see complaints about the ride unless you were running 20"s)

Last edited by CleverName; 09-26-2014 at 03:09 PM.
ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

One less post 2012 XK in the states... it breaks the heart. Thank God your wife is OK! These cars are very rare despite the number up for sale on car.com etc etc... when one goes to the big garage in the sky they get even rarer.

Loth

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

If your driver side and passenger side windows are OK... I COULD USE THEM.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Holy cow...glad she is OK. I always wondered how the X150 would fare in a crash since no government tests exist on this car!

The following 2 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
ddsski (09-27-2014), Lothar52 (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Bummer....I test drove the Evoque and thought it was really underwhelming. The interior (which looks awesome in photos) was pretty ordinary in the flesh and really didnt have a premium feel, unless you get the "prestige" which costs a lot more here. The driving itself was uninvolving (to be charitable, I'd probably say "tedious") and it was sluggish in the turbo 4 and quite noisy. But I think since then (about 2 years ago) they've put in new engines which might have improved it. We ended up buying a volvo V40T5 Cross Country which we love (and was quite a bit cheaper, and comes with the 5 pot turbo here which is a nice engine), but it feels the bumps on the rough roads much more than my XKR does. But currently it is the safest car in the world, so I have to say I never worry about my missus when she is out and a storm rolls in, or whatever.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Leaving my office Monday, my wife stopped at an intersection with obstructed view by a panel van. With foot of brake, she was inching out to see when an old Dakota pkup hit her at 50+ MPH and ripped entire right front suspension off! Our beloved XK gave itself up to save her!!! Shock tower is compromised and left door doesn't close properly suggesting internal structure is compromised. I am 90+% sure they're going to total her!!

She is scared to drive! She does not want another XK....Bummer!!! She walked away with a bump on her forehead and proceeded to cry about the car!!!! Yea our insurance is going after theirs for blatant unreasonable speed in a 25 mph zone.
Today I take her looking for a Range Rover Evoque. At least its British! and beautiful.

Sadly one of the reasons doesn't want to replace it is the ride. Its perfectly wonderful on open roads or quality paving, but on secondary roads (ie going to our house in Maine), Jaguar foolishly did not give us a comfort setting to coddle the occupants a bit more. I only mention this because of the F Type posts hoing they got the suspension right. Jaguar aka Tata should buy Lotus and learn a few bits about suspension tuning because both my wife and I agree that the ride on my Evora is better than the XK was and, of course, its track abilities are incredible at the same time!! How they do it????? Don't believe me, drive an Evora. For the dollar one of the most wonderful cars built today and , of course, its BRITISH!!!
Thankfully your bride is OK. To bad about the car.

ddsski (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry to hear about the Jag. I've had my 2012 Evoque now for 3 years and it's been a nice daily driver/winter beater. I got the Evoque was mainly for winter driving. I wanted the Dynamic exterior but just didn't like the Dynamic or Pure interior so I went with the Prestige. It's not fast but gets the job done. I've had no problems for 3 years ownership although there is an annoying droning noise coming from the drivetrain when it's 20 degrees or below. The was alittle getting use to the power band in the beginning but once you get use to its not an issue. I actually still catch my XKR not giving enough gas in 1st gear and the XKR is bucking. lol. The 2014 Evoques now have the stop/start function which is annoying but now all cars have that feature. Only other things that are alittle annoying is the slow display. It's faster than my 2008 XKR but slower than the 2014 Evoque that I had for a loaner. Fuel economy is no where close to EPA claims coming from the Ford Ecoboost 4banger. The pano is awesome 1 piece glass but there is no moonroof function.

I'm now considering selling the Evoque and moving up to the 2015 RRS or BMW X50i. But overall, I am pretty happy with the Evoque for my intended use.

If you're looking for a compact SUV, you should also checkout the Porsche Macan. Way better than the Evoque in every way but not sure about the styling.

Here's some pics of my Evoque:

Name:  1g.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  156.7 KB
Name:  1b.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  135.4 KB
Name:  1a1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  182.7 KB
Name:  1f.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  150.3 KB

Last edited by GhostriderXKR08; 09-26-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 AM

Thanks to all for your concern!!! HOTKITY did her ultimate job by saving my wife. It is metal and can be replaced.
To axr6. BINGO! Might have something to do with the Lotus magic as well.

We were handed the keys to a brand new 2015 Evoque Prestige yesterday and went for a LONG drive. BTW major upgrades done in 2014 (all new driveline etc) I had called sales manager in advance and told him scenario. Basically-->THERAPY. Get back in the saddle. First it helped get that pain out of her stomach being in a car as a driver. Secondly, the ride was a huge surprise. Much better and more absorbtive than on the XK big shock for such a relatively short wheelbase. Fit and finish same as our Jags. Much of the switchgear is identical but touchscreen is light years better. Ride and handling was quite wonderful overall. I didn't even bother driving it as it was barand new and I don't beat new cars. I enjoyed being the passenger. Put seats all the way back and it can fit a 7 footer!!! Don't get me started on POOORRRSCHE. They all look the same->homely
We have already put a deposit down on a 2 door Dynamic model. BTW that motor, of course is no Coyote V8 but it gets the job done quite nicely as the vehicle is !3700lbs. I already know it can be tuned up to 300 HP quite easily.
Good luck to all. She wants me to save the Jag emblem I had just put on the shifter and put it on her new car if salvageable.

Told manager that they NEED to get diesels in their larger vehicles. A diesel Evoque would have been awesome also!! If they do that, when I trade in my X5 in a few years, a RRS will be choice #1.

Last edited by ddsski; 09-27-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

How's the new Discovery Sport? For the money in Land Rover, the best deal is the LR4 with a V8. Until this year, that was a near identical car the Range Rover Sport for a lot less money.

I am waiting for the current Range Rover models to come down in price on the used market. Once they are around 40K, time to trade in our HSE!!! They are a long term keeper with aluminium body and jag engine!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Sport not around till next spring. Only problem with LR4 is truck like handling and gas guzzler. Coming from an XK, Range Rover was the lateral move, LandRover was a downgrade in my wife's eyes. A small one, but she wanted (and deserves) that panache.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to here about your Jag but most important is your wife is OK. Will you be able to part the car out? If so I would be interested in the spare and the jack kit.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Coming from an XK, Range Rover was the lateral move, LandRover was a downgrade in my wife's eyes. A small one, but she wanted (and deserves) that panache.
Yes, they do love that Range Rover moniker... I like the truck feel, I mean this is a Land Rover... If it were up to me, I would trade our Range Rover in for a Fiat 500L. Has enough storage for what we "need", panoramic roof, nav, comes in a manual, great gas mileage, has style and is not expensive. Have to convince my better half; need make an "impromptu" visit with her to a Fiat dealer.

Quick Reply: Sad day! She got killed by a pickup!