XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

The saga of ordering a new XK

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The saga of ordering a new XK

So, as you all know, I ordered my XK in the beginning of April, and have waited patiently for 4 months for it to arrive. I was informed, a few weeks ago, that the car was put on the boat, right on schedule. It arrived in Baltimore right on schedule as well. That was more than a week ago. It was offloaded last Friday. I was told that it would arrive at my dealer this past Wednesday. Then the delivery date was moved back one day to Thursday. However, rather than the car arriving yesterday, I got an email from my dealer, explaining that for some unknown reason, the car was still sitting in Baltimore, and hadn't even been put on a truck yet. Today he sent an update, explaining that one of the wheels had been scratched/damaged in transport, and that they were waiting for a replacement wheel, before the car could continue its journey. The dealer knows that I'm not even keeping the wheels that are on the car, but he said that Jaguar would never deliver a car with a defect, so we have to wait for the wheel to be replaced. The ETA is now next Thursday or Friday.

Speaking of wheels, that has been a nightmare. I ordered a set of 20" Kasugas from All Factory Wheels on July 11th. I ordered them online, and entered my credit card info. The next day, I received an email from them, telling me that I also had to send them a photocopy of my driver's license, and a photocopy of the front and back of my credit card! I said, no f*cking way, so I arranged to do the transaction through PayPal. They then sent me an email on July 19th, informing me that the wheels had been shipped and would arrive at my home on Monday the 23rd. Well, Monday came and went, and there was no delivery. So, I called them first thing Tuesday morning, and they "looked into it," and they then told me that the wheels had actually never been shipped. They claimed that when it came time to ship them, they discovered that 2 of the wheels looked like hell, so they decided to redo the whole set, so everything would match. They promised that the set would ship out that day, and arrive on Thursday. Well, Thursday came and went, and they didn't arrive. Finally, today, the wheels arrived. (turns out they were shipped on Wednesday, not Tuesday, as promised.) Except...only THREE wheels were delivered today. So, I called them again, to ask what the hell was going on, and they said that the 4th wheel was shipped yesterday, and would arrive on Monday. I will say that the three wheels look beautiful, however, I don't trust a damn thing that comes out of the mouths of the folks at All Factory Wheels. I think they are blatant liars.

Ok...still not done...

I also ordered the XK exhaust from Mina Gallery, on Monday of last week. Chris is extremely nice, and he gave me a great price on the exhaust, and said that the exhaust was in stock and would ship out that day. What was strange, though, is that I didn't receive any kind of email confirmation...or a tracking number. Finally, last Thursday I called again, and he charged my credit card and sent me an order confirmation (no tracking number, though.) He said that it would arrive on Wednesday of this week. Well, Wednesday came and went, and there was no delivery. So, I called Chris yesterday morning, and explained that there was no delivery. He said that he would find out what happened and he would get back to me. A little later, he called back and said that my exhaust had been shipped to another customer!! Huh?????? Again, he was very nice, and said that there was another exhaust currently in transit, to yet another person, and he would reroute THAT exhaust and have it sent to me, and it would arrive next Tuesday by FedEx ground. So, I go to sleep last night thinking that was the plan, but this morning, the POSTMAN arrives with a box from Mina. I open the box and there are two pipes in it. I have no idea what these two pipes are, so I call Chris, and he says that they are part of the exhaust package, but they weren't included in the shipment that was currently being rerouted to me, so he overnighted them to me. He then sent me a FedEx tracking number for the rest of the exhaust that will arrive on Tuesday.

So, if everything goes as currently scheduled, my car will arrive either next Thursday or Friday, and by then, all the wheels and all the different parts of the exhaust will have also arrived, and the dealer will put everything together and finally have the car ready for me...except, I'm going out of town on Friday and won't be back until the following Wednesday...at which time I'm sure all of this weirdness will have been forgotten.

Whew....

Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any further update? I know the frustration of waiting, and mine too disappeared for a spell somewhere between landing in Halifax and arriving. The fact that a wheel was damaged would also give me concern that the body had not been damaged. Good luck and I hope it arrives safe and in the condition it should be.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Any further update? I know the frustration of waiting, and mine too disappeared for a spell somewhere between landing in Halifax and arriving. The fact that a wheel was damaged would also give me concern that the body had not been damaged. Good luck and I hope it arrives safe and in the condition it should be.
Obviously, the very first question I asked was if there was damage to the body. The dealer assured me that it was just one wheel that had a scratch on it. He said that this has happened to other cars that they have ordered in the past. I guess when they take it off the boat, it undergoes a thorough inspection before it's put on the truck, and if even the slightest thing is discovered, it isn't put on the truck.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

You guys are freaking me out with the problems you've had getting your cars. I sure hope mine goes smoother, but at this point (I ordered mine in early May) my dealer is still trying to get current information from Jaguar on where it is in the process. Hopefully it's being built now.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

@aahmichael. Seems like you've had a string of mishaps. I had a terrible time with my credit union with getting a check for my car when I was going to pick it up, with people telling me one thing, and a different thing or nothing happening. These days you need to stay on service folks constantly. I too picked up my car late due to mishaps and then left for a four day trip. Let us know when she gets in.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate all this drama, especially after people have my money....or some of it.
I hate waiting on toys so I'll just search the US for the color I want then go to that state to make the deal and bring it home myself.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
You guys are freaking me out with the problems you've had getting your cars. I sure hope mine goes smoother, but at this point (I ordered mine in early May) my dealer is still trying to get current information from Jaguar on where it is in the process. Hopefully it's being built now.
To be fair with Jaguar, from the get-go when I first ordered the car, my dealer told me that it would arrive last week of July/first week of August. Even when it was given a July 25th delivery date, he told me not to be surprised if that date was pushed back by as much as a week. He said things frequently happen during the transport/delivery process that end up adding days to the process. Most people would never know about this stuff, because they just buy something off the lot. So, I'm not put out with Jaguar.

...now, in regards to the other vendors...that's another story altogether.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ice350
I hate all this drama, especially after people have my money....or some of it.
I hate waiting on toys so I'll just search the US for the color I want then go to that state to make the deal and bring it home myself.
The color I wanted did not exist in 2012 models because the Japanese tsunami wiped out the only plant in the world that made the pigment for the color. In other words, the car I wanted has never existed until they made the 2013 model for me. I can confidently say that no one has a car exactly like mine.

Last edited by aahmichael; 07-29-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your referrence to the dealer holding your money while you wait for your toy, was interesting. The dealer where I ordered mine to be factory built to order, held no money. The first money they got was the whole amount when I drove out of the dealer's lot.
They had originally had taken a Visa for $5,000 which they never did charge to it.

Works for me!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Your referrence to the dealer holding your money while you wait for your toy, was interesting. The dealer where I ordered mine to be factory built to order, held no money. The first money they got was the whole amount when I drove out of the dealer's lot.
They had originally had taken a Visa for $5,000 which they never did charge to it.

Works for me!
I gave my dealer a $2,000 deposit since it's a special order car--that's pretty normal as an incentive to take the car when it comes in or forfeit it if you decide not to. I would imagine if you had decided not to take your car they would have wanted some or all of your $5,000 Visa charge, especially since you have so many options that might make it more difficult for them to sell. Of course, that's all negotiable.