XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Scary Messages from my XKR!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scary Messages from my XKR!

I’m getting the following error messages and warnings intermittently, but pretty much every time I drive the car (all amber):

GEARBOX FAULT
DSC NOT AVAILABLE
PARK BRAKE FAULT
EMERGENCY BRAKE ASSIST NOT AVAILABLE

The car hasn’t even done 20,000 miles yet.

It does stand around outside quite a bit. It often stands for a week at a time, does a short round trip of 10-11 miles including another stop/start. I know you’re probably thinking it’s the battery, that’s what I thought too. But I just changed the battery again (2 in less than 2 years) and the messages are still coming up...

All was fine until about 2 weeks ago. The car had stood for 3 weeks in the very cold weather and the same messages started again after nothing for over 18 months. I assumed it was the battery again, I charged it and the battery seemed ok but wouldn’t go into maintenance mode on the CTEK. Then there were odd issues like the break lights coming on by themselves!

The MOT was due so I got the Jaguar dealer to fit a new battery and check the alternator. They said the alternator had failed (was not charging the battery) and I agreed for them to replace it. But I’m still getting the above messages. The battery has been on the CTEK since I got it back.

The car goes back to the dealer on the 8th Jan, I will then get a print of the diagnostics / error codes. I’m new to the forum and have been researching similar posts. This is my list of things to check, is there anything else you recommend I ask them to do?
  • Wheel speed sensors, do they need cleaning? Check connecting cables.
  • Check all connections to the alternator for damaged wires.
  • Check the wheel bearings (is that even possible though with only 20k miles?)
  • Check / change transmission fluid and reset all ECU and TCM adapts.

I should add that I have not noticed any bad gear changes or clunks or knocking noises when changing gear. The car drives really smoothly, it’s great until the messages come up!

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate any comments and suggestions in advance.

Andrew

Last edited by AndrewW; 01-04-2020 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2020, 04:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Andrew,

As you suspect, that fault list is a classic for a partially discharged or failing battery but you have already gone a long and expensive way down that route. For a UK vehicle, 20K is exceptionally low miles in six years and the failed alternator is both unusual and unlucky. The continuation of the same issues suggests harness rather than alternator could be the cause.

Presumably you are using a Jaguar Dealer? If so, I would not give them an open cheque to go on a fishing expedition at your expense. Start with a diagnostics session ONLY and get their report on codes before proceeding with any other work. After all, they have had one go at resolving it and failed! You want the actual error codes and not just descriptions.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
SinF (01-06-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 04:56 AM

Hi Graham, thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, I am using a Jaguar dealer. The car has a full Jaguar service history. It has already cost me quite a bit so your advice is spot on. I will book it in for a diagnostic session only to start off with and report back when I get a print of the error messages. You would hope that they would have checked the wiring harness to the alternator when they fitted the new one. I will ask them to double check that - as they fitted it.

I fitted a CTEK CTX Bluetooth battery sense monitor once I got the car back (the dealer had refused to fit it on the grounds it could invalidate some sort of warranty). I can tell from that the new alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running.

Not having a lot of luck at the moment though as my X308 won’t start now either!

Thanks again for the advice.

Andrew

Old 01-04-2020, 05:18 AM
GGG

Andrew,

If you haven't already got a copy, the Workshop Manual for the 5.0 Litre is available for download here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...guides-215509/

There's lengthy section on Battery & Charging System so you can read up before talking to the Dealer. Nothing frightens them more than an informed and knowledgeable owner.

You did fit the CTEK negative lead to a ground stud and not directly to the battery? It can throw the Battery Monitoring System if it's connected directly.

Graham

AndrewW (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the link, that is very cool. I will have a good read of that later on today.

As for the CTEK, the charger is attached using the crocodile grips to the remote positive terminal and ground stud in the bottom right of the spare wheel compartment. I fitted the eyelets to the positive and negative terminals but realised I need to move the negative so haven’t used those.

However, the CTX (one of these: https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense) is connected directly to the battery terminals.

Andrew

Old 01-04-2020, 05:52 AM
GGG

CTEK make the same connection recommendation as Jaguar and presumably for the same reason:

Could be worth re-routing or a temporary disconnection of the Battery Sense to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Graham

AndrewW (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:10 AM

Right, I will try that next and report back.

I need to source the right size nut to hold the negative connections down. There’s a longish bolt which appears to be grounded to the right rear of the battery as part of the assembly that holds the disc player for the sat nav...

I put a multi-meter on it and it appears to be grounded.

A

Old 01-04-2020, 06:42 AM
GGG

The recommended ground connection is beneath the LH side trim:

Graham

AndrewW (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 AM

Thanks loads for your help Graham. I really appreciate it.

I have seen that you shared that diagram before. I can’t seem to find that point on my car. I can find the main ground from the battery but I don’t see the bolt in the diagram which appears to be to the left of that.

I lifted the trim, all I can see is the 3 bolts that hold the plate that connects to the strengthening bar. I’ll have another look. The CTEK leads are quite short so can’t reach to the stud I’m using at present.

Andrew

Old 01-04-2020, 09:52 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

There are a couple of ground points about the car. As Graham suggests, the locations are identified in the manual.
I feel for you. My dealer always checks the quick/easy/cheap fixes first.
Also as Graham suggests, this clearly points to a tired battery... we have all been there.

And FWIW, I’ve taken the position that when it’s time to replace the battery - Just replace it. In the less than handful of times I’ve been caught with a failed battery, I’ve been up and running within a couple of hours. No need for a charger. Some background: More than 20 years of owning late model Jags. I typically drive them one weekend a month. (I’m usually everywhere else on the planet and not home)

Let me add, it gets frightfully cold in Ottawa. My start procedure is always, Press the start button without touching the brake. Wait for all chimes to stop. Then, depress brake and press start button again. Works every time.

Last edited by guy; 01-04-2020 at 09:57 AM.
AndrewW (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 01:48 PM

Hello Guy, very nice to make your acquaintance.

I agree, once the battery starts playing up it’s better to replace it if you can. I’m often away or working long hours so I don’t get the chance to enjoy the car as much as I would like. Something I’m hopefully going to change this year once it’s running again perfectly.

I need to get out there in the daylight and find a grounded bolt or remove the battery sense to eliminate it as a possible cause. I will report back here on how that goes.

The car goes back to the dealer on Wednesday. I don’t like to criticise, but they do seem to think only in terms of closed units or systems. It can be quite “black-box” and a bit throwaway. I guess that comes from the warranty repairs approach which I guess is the majority of the work that they do. I’m half wondering if they will tell me I need a new gearbox! Quick / easy / cheap fixes sound best!

I’ll also give your start sequence a go too. I’m off to read the workshop manual now. Regards,

Andrew

Old 01-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'll beat an old drum, but my XK freaked out with messages because I had a bluetooth dongle always attached to my OBDII port.
Pulled it and my world was happy again.

BOL

AndrewW (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles Andrew hope you get All sorted cheaply

AndrewW (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Andrew, sorry to hear of your issues, some questions:

Is the new battery now going into maintenance mode on your CTEK?
Do you have any aftermarket electrical things added to your car (e.g. a tracker/dash-cam etc)?
Do you own any diagnostic kit for your Jag (I have an icarsoft which thankfully hasn't displayed any codes)
How long have you had these problems and how long have you owned the car?
Has it been in any accidents that required repair in your or previous ownership?
Have you attempted a hard reset?

Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by George05
Sorry to hear of your troubles Andrew hope you get All sorted cheaply
Thanks, me too!

George05 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Andrew, sorry to hear of your issues, some questions:

Is the new battery now going into maintenance mode on your CTEK?
Do you have any aftermarket electrical things added to your car (e.g. a tracker/dash-cam etc)?
Do you own any diagnostic kit for your Jag (I have an icarsoft which thankfully hasn't displayed any codes)
How long have you had these problems and how long have you owned the car?
Has it been in any accidents that required repair in your or previous ownership?
Have you attempted a hard reset?
Hi Marky,
  • It hasn’t gone into maintenance mode yet, I’ve been away from the car for a couple of days so will confirm tomorrow. The penultimate stage of the charger says it can be in that mode for up to 10 days.
  • I have no aftermarket electrical gadgets fitted to the car other than the battery sense mentioned above.
  • I don’t own a diagnostic kit. I’m going to get the dealer to have a look and give me the error codes on Wednesday. I’ll take a look at the icarsoft though.
  • First had the problem 2 years ago. Went away with a new battery. Started again 2-3 weeks ago. Fitted new battery and new alternator, but this time messages still coming up. I’ve had the car 5 years.
  • I had one parking scrape in the car about 4 years ago. Rear left bumper had to be re-sprayed.
  • I haven’t tried a hard reset. Is there a procedure I can do for that or do I need to hook up a computer / software to the car?

Thanks for posting.

Andrew

Old 01-05-2020, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

IIRC hard reset simply involves removing the leads from your battery and touching them together for 20 seconds, then leave them disconnected for 20 mins before reconnecting.

The process has been known to clear a raft of gremlins on both X100 and X150, I also used it on my Audi

Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

A second is all it takes, and in theory it should be instantaneous with a touch-the-cables-together method. Removing the cables for twenty minutes is in lieu of touching cables together, having the battery disconnected long enough for all the volatile memory to dissipate.

MarkyUK (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Default Update

Hi, so was back with the car today. A number of small updates:
  1. The CTEK MXS 10 had still not gone into "pulse" mode 8. But the manual says it is fully charged in mode 7 and can be in this mode "Float" for up to 10 days before it goes into pulse mode. Not sure if this a surprise on a new battery or not?
  2. Disconnected the CTX battery sense from the negative terminal on the battery.
  3. Re-located both the negatives for the charger and battery sense to a nearby bolt. I simply could not find the bolt shown in the official diagram posted above so I just picked a nearby bolt connected to the chassis and put a new nut on to hold both connections. The battery sense reports 100% charge on the battery.
Car started perfectly and managed a short trip (15 mins) with no messages. I then took it for a longer run and 20 mins into that all 4 messages from my original post came back, so I turned around and headed home.

Next step is to see what Jaguar say on Wednesday, need see those error codes.

A

GGG (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

Oh dear. Well you did the right thing. Please report back on your findings. Will you be sending the car in on a flat bed? I would.

Quick Reply: Scary Messages from my XKR!