XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Schooled at the Red Light Grand Prix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts
Cool Schooled at the Red Light Grand Prix!

So in the two years I've owned my XKR I've only had less than a handful of times to play with others. One has to be careful as there are now sooooo many wolves in sheep's clothing from the various manufacture's, as well as current circumstances/conditions will not permit any play time.

Light turns yellow as I approach, I'm in the left lane of three. A new bumble bee yellow Vette pulls up next to me and immediately starts revving his engine. My finger is well trained and was on the traction control hoping it would disengage prior to the light turning green. He was in the middle lane. Quick scan of surroundings looks clear. Shift into 1st, traction control off, ready to rock! Not sure who's next to him in the right lane as it is getting dusk-ish but it's a black sedan. So it's just the three of us and I can see it's not the law, I think.

Light turns green the Vette has identical reaction time and we are neck and neck as we cross the intersection. Out of my right eye the black sedan is freaking GONE! I **** you not he left me and the Vette so far behind in the first 100' it was like a dream and everything was in slow motion. Did not recognize the taillights but thought it looked like it might be a Maserati of some sort. So my brain is in overdrive trying to figure out how a Maserati can be so freakin quick off the line as the three of us pull up to the next set of red lights.

So as I pull up in my lane I'm trying to identify what just blew me away and I recognize nothing about the car. That is until I seen the "Tesla" emblem. Could not see what model it was but as we staged for another round the guy in the Vette was no longer looking at me as I assume he was just as surprised as I was.

Light turns green with same results! Thus my introduction to the Tesla brand and I am impressed! That is the fastest thing I have ever seen after 40 years on the Red Light Grand Prix. He turned off before I could identify a model but the car has a presence about it much like a Jag. When you see it you know you are looking at something special. I want one!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Yep 0-60 are in the 3 second range and I believe they still only have one model. Mind you with full power you put a load on the batteries and it cuts down your overall travel distance but they are real quick off the line and up the mph range.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its ok don't worry at least your car sounds better then a Tesla

Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andreny
its ok don't worry at least your car sounds better then a Tesla

Oh for sure, since I modified the cats the kitty does have an impressive growl. Too bad the Tesla did not stick around long enough to hear it. The Vette heard me.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Tesla Ludicrous mode.

The Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced, with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5* seconds

https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla...tion-car-world

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 239 Likes on 106 Posts

Teslas are definitely amazing and unlike anything else I've ever driven - the instant torque is simply unreal and you really feel like you're driving the future with all the tech. But the instant acceleration combined with absolute silence is kind of eerie, and the car ultimately seems kind of soulless. The exterior styling also seems a bit flat for the price range. If Tesla's performance and innovations could be combined with the styling of the Fisker Karma, that would be quite the car.

Call me old school, but after looking quite seriously at a Tesla Model S, I just bought an XKR this week mostly because of the sound. I just got no emotional pull from the deathly silent Tesla.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 12-01-2016 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Tesla Ludicrous mode.

The Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode is the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced, with a 0-60 mph time of 2.5* seconds

https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla...tion-car-world

That be the one! Sharp ride, and it is quick.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Teslas are definitely amazing and unlike anything else I've ever driven - the instant torque is simply unreal and you really feel like you're driving the future with all the tech. But the instant acceleration combined with absolute silence is kind of eerie, and the car ultimately seems kind of soulless. The exterior styling also seems a bit flat for the price range. If Tesla's performance and innovations could be combined with the styling of the Fisker Karma, that would be quite the car.

Call me old school, but after looking quite seriously at a Tesla Model S, I just bought an XKR this week mostly because of the sound. I just got no emotional pull from the deathly silent Tesla.

If you think you like your sound now go ahead and pull fuse 19 between the rear seats. Enjoy.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
That be the one! Sharp ride, and it is quick.
Amazing that those 3 cars would be perfectly aligned at a stop light! Usually there's a Camry or something in the way

Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
Amazing that those 3 cars would be perfectly aligned at a stop light! Usually there's a Camry or something in the way

In a town of 70,000.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Yeah, I remember driving an XKR after an XK: "...oh. Now THAT's fast."
And then one day a Tesla: "...oh. Never mind."
But I'm with those who simply like the feel and sound of a big fat V8. Have my whole life.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I don't need a Tesla, I have my Drag car to get my 1.5 second 0-60 times. Equivalent of a 1.4 second 60-foot time.
Plus, it's not one of those lame 'zero' to sixty times with a rolling start.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny I am reading this post today as I just drove my XK to the Tesla dealership to have my wife test the Tesla S. She loved it and its kind of surreal to drive a car with so much torque and initial speed oh and the technology is outstanding. When I walked out the dealership and saw my XK I realized that the love of my life is my Jag. I made it a point to keep the windows down and at every opportunity I made the engine roar.

Well at least she's happy. I am keeping the XK.

Last edited by Richard Lloyd-Roberts; 12-03-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

I remember the first time i saw the Tesla i was thinking it was jaguars new 4 door saloon the resemblance is uncanny

Old 12-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

steve_k_xk,
When Tesla was doing its street testing in Los Angeles prior to the initial release of the Tesla S, I would see the thinly disguised models driving through the canyon roads from in the city north to the San Fernando Valley, I was certain that I was seeing a new Jaguar XF model, that's how "Jaglike"I thought it was. Since then everything from the Toyota Avalon to the Kia Optima (and everything inbetween) has borrowed heavily from the original XF's design language.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

It's a stunning looking vehicle would look great parked up along side the xk in the driveway however at 150k plus it comes at a price

Old 12-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
It's a stunning looking vehicle would look great parked up along side the xk in the driveway however at 150k plus it comes at a price

Sooo at 150K I can have one new Tesla in my driveway or 4 late model XKR's hmmmmm what should I do?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Sooo at 150K I can have one new Tesla in my driveway or 4 late model XKR's hmmmmm what should I do?
Start thinking of a new username!

Old 12-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

tesla's are quick off the line for sure.....but at a steep technology price. Car and Driver did their Lightning Lap issue and the Tesla finished in a dead heat on a 4.1 mile road course with the vaunted super car.....The Jeep Grand Cherokee!!!!

The thermal load that builds up on hard acceleration after 2-3 hard passes puts the batteries in "low performance mode". For a $120k car not to beat a Jeep on a road course???

No thanks. Plus I would seriously worry if Tesla is even going to survive as a company. Do a little research on their financial problems and you might have some concern about buying a car like that. Imagine no parts/no service. It is VERY possible.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

kyle191,
Tesla is hemorrhaging money and has already received a lot of investment from Toyota. It's my belief that Toyota will one day have controlling interest while Elon goes into new technological ventures.