XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Seat Reclining issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Seat Reclining issues

Okay, I only drive the XK about every other week. so this weekend I had multiple issues..I will post a separate post on the other issue... this weekend my son reclines the passenger seat all the way back while cruising with the top down...Now the seat will not go up..all other functions operate well, forward, back, lumbar etc..but the seat will not recline up or down...is this the function of the seat module?? I have read that there is some components that need to be re-soldered within the module..is this correct?? any suggestions will be appreciated..

thanks
al

Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

The fact that you use the XK only every second week, and that you now have "multiple" issues gives the answer. You will find that there is nothing wrong with the Jaguar in all likelihood; the cause of your multiple problems is low battery voltage!
On the XK low voltage results in random, seemingly unconnected issues - seats not moving properly, windows not working properly, electric roof not latching, random warning lights, touchscreen freezing...in virtually every case the culprit is the battery. The car will always start - the system is designed that way - but other systems tell the story. You may need to replace a tired battery or to have it properly charged, and do yourself and your Jaguar a favour. Get a proper battery maintainer (CTEK is the favoured brand and is the one that Jaguar sells under its own label - as do Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, Range Rover, BMW....and all for the same reason). The charger is permanently mounted to the car and is simply plugged in (a 15 second operation) when the car is not in use. The result will be ZERO problems. There are multiple threads on this, but please take this seriously.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (05-14-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Follow SOV211's advice regarding the battery.

The module re-soldering does not apply to this car...that is relevant only on the earlier convertible, the '97-'06 XK8/R.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Thumbs up so what next

So assuming the battery is okay, what could the cause be...a module or motor?? can I switch modules from the drivers side to the passenger side to test module??

any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

If you find that the new battery, or fully charged battery, does not help there's been a few members here that headed to their dealership and had the seat software recalibrated by their computer which solved the problem... that may be what you'll need. Obviously check all related fuses first of course

If you do get a new battery make sure to fully charge it, though they are new they are not fully charged nor will your alternator do that for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

There is no point in exploring worst-case scenarios until you have eliminated the most frequent cause for this sort of issue: low battery voltage. Given the use you make of this car, your battery (particularly if it is more than 3 years old) is the obvious culprit. The XK is a very reliable machine with very few weak points - but it does need full battery voltage all the time to operate properly ( this has been said so often and in so many ways that even I am becoming nauseated...) . Please replace or recharge your battery fully and then report to us. And yes, sometimes the modules need to be reprogrammed once the voltage has dropped - yet another reason for using a CTEK unit on XKs not in daily use.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Banned

Isn't that what I wrote above?

Last edited by Leeper; 05-10-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Isn't that what I wrote above?
Yes, it is more or less what you ( and I previously) wrote, but the original questioner still seems to be second-guessing: "assuming the battery is ok"...., that is, reluctant to accept that this problem may be/probably is a battery issue. He seems to be looking for a more involved cause. Consider my note as a reinforcement of what you wrote.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Banned

All good. Surprised the "anti-maintainer" birds haven't started singing.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I don't think anyone on this list is 'anti-maintainer' they are anti suggestion that if you own an XK you must also have a maintainer even if it is a daily driver. The OP said he only uses his car every few weeks so it is not unreasonable for people to suggest he uses one.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
bklynchris (05-14-2016), michaelodonnell123 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Default Update

Okay, I have replaced the battery and even used my ctek charger to ensure that its fully charged, and No dice..The seats will not move...all other options work except for the forward and rearward reclining. Now that I look closer at the seat, I noticed that the lever locking mechanism that you lift to get into the back seat is not really locking the seat in place..so the only option as of right now is to remove the seat and check to see if the cable is broken.. will post the findings..
thanks for your help all..

al

Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

It sounds as if it is about time to visit a dealer.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The fact that you use the XK only every second week, and that you now have "multiple" issues gives the answer. You will find that there is nothing wrong with the Jaguar in all likelihood; the cause of your multiple problems is low battery voltage!
On the XK low voltage results in random, seemingly unconnected issues - seats not moving properly, windows not working properly, electric roof not latching, random warning lights, touchscreen freezing...in virtually every case the culprit is the battery. The car will always start - the system is designed that way - but other systems tell the story. You may need to replace a tired battery or to have it properly charged, and do yourself and your Jaguar a favour. Get a proper battery maintainer (CTEK is the favoured brand and is the one that Jaguar sells under its own label - as do Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, Range Rover, BMW....and all for the same reason). The charger is permanently mounted to the car and is simply plugged in (a 15 second operation) when the car is not in use. The result will be ZERO problems. There are multiple threads on this, but please take this seriously.

Sov211, I absolutey agree with you. My XKR is my daily driver and knock on wood, I've not had any issues due to low voltage. That said, I have noticed if I leave her in the garage for more than 2 or 3 days, I need to jump it to start. So, I need to get a proper battery maintainer. My question is, is there any maintenance that has to be done with it? i.e. something installed, etc? Also, I live in AZ and with the heat, extreme heat in the summers, I was planning on replacing my battery anyway. Do you think that's a good idea? I haven't replaced it in 2 years.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Chris:
Your battery may be failing to hold a full charge, or your use of the XKR is not charging it fully - but in any case you should not have to jump-start the car. Assuming no alternator issue and no passive drain on the battery (you do lock the car when it is not in use, yes?) then replacement of the battery is job #1. Next, a good battery maintainer - the CTEK works beautifully and you can use the most basic 12 volt CTEK as easily as the most expensive. They all do the same job in the end: they keep the battery at full charge all the time.
Important: you need nothing more than the CTEK unit and its "comfort extension". This will allow you to make the connections permanently in the car (at the connecting posts in the trunk area, rather than at the battery itself on your 2010 model -on earlier XKs you can connect directly to the battery); the CTEK unit itself must sit outside the car so that you can monitor the battery state. If you leave it IN the car, jst touching the trunk release button will send the CTEK unit into action - it is that sensitive - and it will always seem that the battery is low. If the unit is outside the car you will be able to note that it is fully charged (green light) before you open the trunk. It takes about 3 seconds (if you are slow) to connect and disconnect the CTEK unit.
See the attached photo of my XK at rest. Note the CTEK unit on the floor.

Attached Thumbnails Seat Reclining issues-xk-british-racing-green-004-small-.jpg  
bklynchris (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
Chris:
Your battery may be failing to hold a full charge, or your use of the XKR is not charging it fully - but in any case you should not have to jump-start the car. Assuming no alternator issue and no passive drain on the battery (you do lock the car when it is not in use, yes?) then replacement of the battery is job #1. Next, a good battery maintainer - the CTEK works beautifully and you can use the most basic 12 volt CTEK as easily as the most expensive. They all do the same job in the end: they keep the battery at full charge all the time.
Important: you need nothing more than the CTEK unit and its "comfort extension". This will allow you to make the connections permanently in the car (at the connecting posts in the trunk area, rather than at the battery itself on your 2010 model -on earlier XKs you can connect directly to the battery); the CTEK unit itself must sit outside the car so that you can monitor the battery state. If you leave it IN the car, jst touching the trunk release button will send the CTEK unit into action - it is that sensitive - and it will always seem that the battery is low. If the unit is outside the car you will be able to note that it is fully charged (green light) before you open the trunk. It takes about 3 seconds (if you are slow) to connect and disconnect the CTEK unit.
See the attached photo of my XK at rest. Note the CTEK unit on the floor.

I lock the car when outside, yes...but when I'm home, its in the garage and not locked. It doesn't have to be jumped often, maybe 2 or 3 times in the last year...but I'll follow your advice and replace the battery, which was on the list anyway, and get a CTEK unit..I'll pick one up today...thx for the advice.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

It's a good idea to lock the car even when in the garage as I belive there is quite a battery drain when not locked. There have been threads before that state the current drain when not locked and it is quite high.

Last edited by Woo5ie; 05-15-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Just to clarify, the current drain is the same once the car has switched out of convenience mode. It just take 15-20 minutes longer to get there if you leave it unlocked. My '07 XKR spends most of its life unlocked and I don't have issues.

Last edited by u102768; 05-15-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Woo5ie
It's a good idea to lock the car even when in the garage as I briefed there quite a battery drain when not locked. There have been threads before that states the current when not locked and it is quite high.
I'm sorry, I missed that brief...would you mind explaining? Thank you.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I'm sorry, I missed that brief...would you mind explaining? Thank you.
There was an error in the text and I have corrected. (Predictive text)

The electric systems do not fully shut down unless the car is locked. The post above mentions 20 minutes but whatever the time it is quite a drain.

On another Jag forum the current drain was mentioned and it was quite high but I couldn't find the thread to quote to you

I have a 2007 car and over the three years I have owned it the car always starts on the button. It is kept out side and is only used on average once or twice a week to go around 25 miles. It is always locked.
I go on 2 week holidays and the car still starts on the button

Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM

There was solution...The seat reclining issue was due to the seat calibration error. The main culprit according to the jaguar dealer, was the low voltage. according to the mechanic, there were many errors related to voltage and caused the seat to not calibrate. I also had an airbag light that would not clear, and they were able to clear the light. Even though my battery is less than a year old, I am not going to leave my Ctek connect daily. This was all repaired within an hours rate.
thanks to all the help in regarding to this problem...

SickRob (06-15-2016)

Quick Reply: Seat Reclining issues