XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

What a pity this entire thread wasn't titled "5.0 ... only".

People seem to have argued against jag's schedule for the 4.0/4.2 - rather pointless that argument - instead of sticking only to the 5.0.

Er... it's not obvious to me that the OP's car actually is a 5.0. Is it? Had the 4.2 etc been discontinued by 2010?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8

People seem to have argued against jag's schedule for the 4.0/4.2 - rather pointless that argument - instead of sticking only to the 5.0.

Er... it's not obvious to me that the OP's car actually is a 5.0. Is it? Had the 4.2 etc been discontinued by 2010?
Closer examination will show that he has a 2014 XKR and he too was frustrated that the dialog was diluted and obscured by discussing the vintage long out of warranty 4.2 conventional engine. His query was specifically that Jag is now recommending 6 month oil changes. They have stopped recommending anything for the 4.2.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Agreed, other than the 5.0 is not yet a mature product with a known track record of good, bad and ugly. It is prudent to refer to lessons learned from it's 4.0/4.2 predecessor and use these as a guideline, hence the clarification of severe service.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Agreed, other than the 5.0 is not yet a mature product with a known track record of good, bad and ugly. It is prudent to refer to lessons learned from it's 4.0/4.2 predecessor and use these as a guideline, hence the clarification of severe service.
Thats precisely the problem: there is no correlation between the 4.2 and 5.0. The 4.2 has no technology that is critical to type of oil. Every technology on that car has been around since the war.

The 5.0 is built around the use of the oil designed for it- thats why it was. The cams are highly dependent on oil, as the timing is oil controlled not electric motors. The timing chain is highly dependent on oil and the carbon buildup problem is highly dependent on oil.

Moreover the 5.0 Direct Injection which oil phased cams is a new technology for the entire auto industry. Again everything done on the 4,2 has been around for 50 years. Better yet, DI engines and hydraulic tensioners on them have failed across the board with every car manufacturer. So there is reason for prudence and not to apply outdated practices to it.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

we are finally getting somewhere. comparing the 4.2 to the 5.0 in lubrication strategy is like comparing a bicycle to a Ducati.

Anyone interested in reading what is so different about the cam phasers and why Lothar had to replace all 4, see this link Cam-Torque Actuated Variable Valve Timing System ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
we are finally getting somewhere. comparing the 4.2 to the 5.0 in lubrication strategy is like comparing a bicycle to a Ducati.

Anyone interested in reading what is so different about the cam phasers and why Lothar had to replace all 4, see this link Cam-Torque Actuated Variable Valve Timing System ? Feature ? Car and Driver
That isn't quite true, I'm sorry. The same OPA actuation theory used in the N/A AJ33/AJ34 (2 phasers) is used in the AJ133, however the CTA system in the AJ133 has separate intake and exhaust timings (4 phasers).

Last edited by Box; 05-08-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Do us all a favor. Instead of writing responses, spell out your knowledge in one post, and stop worrying about the last word.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
That isn't quite true, I'm sorry. The same OPA actuation theory used in the N/A AJ33/AJ34 (2 phasers) is used in the AJ133, however the CTA system in the AJ133 has separate intake and exhaust timings (4 phasers).
Thanks David. I appreciate being pointed in the right direction. That's just it, we the affected are desperate for every ounce of credible information we can get.

As you can see, both Lothar and I have taken your suggestions to heart. And frankly we tried the alternative it landed us with stretched chains. Not a lot of people here get that.

Theer is another shocking tidbit that has come to light on another thread (fType) MANY DEALERS ARE NOT USING THE RECOMMENDED OIL. Says so right on their invoice. Which would explain the premature failures that those of us who bought ultra low mileage cars are experiencing.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

Closer examination will show that he has a 2014 XKR and he too was frustrated that the dialog was diluted and obscured by discussing the vintage long out of warranty 4.2 conventional engine. His query was specifically that Jag is now recommending 6 month oil changes. They have stopped recommending anything for the 4.2.
But his post says 2010. Why do you say 2014?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

But his post says 2010. Why do you say 2014?
Its a tragedy that most people dont actually read or only see what they want to. Because they are just here to debate as a matter of sport instead of help. Thank you for catching that. Yes he has a 2014, i.e one of the latest, and under warranty. I.e. the one that Jaguar did the latest recommendation on and the one that Jaguar is most interested in protecting, due to skin off their own backs.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

reading this theme I will do every 6 months, even at 60 euros a oil liter, which is i am being asked to pay for the v12. Indeed it is recommended every year but after purchasing, it was 9 months and i have it done, I will do it even faster next time.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by RobB
Hi,

My XKR was new in March 2010, coming into my possession in May 2010.
Like all my previous Jags, I've had it in for servicing every 6 months.

But, seeing as it has been faultless, and the interval plan is annual/24km, am I wasting money?

Spoke with Jaguar Australia, who were not helpful. They said 6 monthly service intervals and directed me to their website - which says nothing of the sort.

The last service type A was May 2015, Type B was November 2015 at 70k km.
Now at 78k.

Thoughts please!

Cheers,

Rob

Its a tragedy that most people dont actually read or only see what they want to. Because they are just here to debate as a matter of sport instead of help. Thank you for catching that. Yes he has a 2014, i.e one of the latest, and under warranty. I.e. the one that Jaguar did the latest recommendation on and the one that Jaguar is most interested in protecting, due to skin off their own backs.
That's not what he says. See quote from post #1 above.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
That's not what he says. See quote from post #1 above.
Precisely my point. None of us seem to care what the thread owner said. Or even people like me repeated countless times. If we read his post, that Jaguar has made new recommendations, it makes so much of the banter on this thread moot.

I wont show you where his post is- you should see for yourself how difficult it is to find data when it is buried in opinion. Ironically, the poor chap has only made 2 or so posts. He gave us more in 2 posts than we gave him in a hundred.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
reading this theme I will do every 6 months, even at 60 euros a oil liter, which is i am being asked to pay for the v12. Indeed it is recommended every year but after purchasing, it was 9 months and i have it done, I will do it even faster next time.
You should do the oil change yourself, because you can and they have clowns working at your dealership. Its very easy. You dont even get dirty. I think your engine like mine has a tube to vacuum the oil.

Its as simple as:
Pump
pour new oil in.
pump old oil into container.

Its also a great way of making sure they dont put the wrong oil in.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by RobB
Well that escalated unexpectedly.
I have to say that a lot of the responses to my question are somewhat rude and indicate rather poor reading comprehension.
In the initial thread I'd obviously already read the manual, as I noted the manual's service recommendation of time/distance service frequency. I also clearly stated that I called Jaguar Australia, not a dealer.
Jaguar Australia recommended 6 monthly service intervals, in contradiction to the manual, without making any enquiry as to my location, driving style or usage profile.
The question was triggered by conflicting advice from Jaguar, in relation to a specific model.
Thank you to Q&C and others who addressed the actual question.

I enjoy this site, let's try to remember that we're enthusiasts, and keep it positive.

Rob

(One typo to confess to though, I bought the car in May 2014!)

My emphasise above.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

You should do the oil change yourself, because you can and they have clowns working at your dealership. Its very easy. You dont even get dirty. I think your engine like mine has a tube to vacuum the oil.

Its as simple as:
Pump
pour new oil in.
pump old oil into container.

Its also a great way of making sure they dont put the wrong oil in.
So now you're giving technical advice for Jags fitted with V12 engines. What's your background with those?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
So now you're giving technical advice for Jags fitted with V12 engines. What's your background with those?
Why would take a personal shot at me? What business is it to you?
He is my friend, and no he doesnt have a Jaguar with a V12 fool.
Again your illness is speaking with authority on something you know nothing about and demeaning the other person. There are 4 threads now with all sorts of people telling you the same thing. All within the last 12 hours. Why do you do this? Its not very becoming of a Jaguar owner.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 05-09-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
IF in fact said oils are compromised that that fact would not show up with the various labs do their analysis. These oil samples, examined under pretty strict scientific tests, have shown little to no degradation/breakdown/or excessive contaminates which could in any way cause or let damage happen to our beloved cars. This has shown to be the case in every single test I've seen which seems to conclude that changing oil sooner than recommended intervals has shown zero returns in terms of protecting your car any more
Back to the Oil.

Its not how long the oil last. Its about how much sludge is building up in your engine. Which an oil test will absolutely not tell you.

All the costly repairs reported so far on a 5.0 has in my calculation stemmed from sludge in a 'low-tolerance' engine. I call it low in the literal sense.

Oil is a fantastic cleaner when new. So the question really is how many times a year do you want to clean your engine out. For me once a year is not within my comfort zone. I am a perfectionist, I probably keep the rest of the car cleaner than I should or could.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Precisely my point. None of us seem to care what the thread owner said. Or even people like me repeated countless times. If we read his post, that Jaguar has made new recommendations, it makes so much of the banter on this thread moot.

I wont show you where his post is- you should see for yourself how difficult it is to find data when it is buried in opinion. Ironically, the poor chap has only made 2 or so posts. He gave us more in 2 posts than we gave him in a hundred.
I do care and on every one of his posts he has a 2010. Show me his post where he hasn't.

Wouldn't the Jaguar warranty period for the entire engine re oil be over?

Last edited by JagV8; 05-09-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I could be incorrect but wasnt the new advisory from Jaguar to recommend 10K mile / 1 year intervals?

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..