XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

ARDUOUS

I am surprised to see that no one on this thread mentioned that the most arduous condition for oil is infrequent use and short trips.

In fact the non-arduous, ideal conditions were confused for being injurious.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
If you've got sludge in your engine despite 6 or 9 month oil change intervals, don't blame the oil or the interval. If shipping costs didn't make it impractical, I'd take your old oil off your hands
I dont have sludge in any of my cars. I meant the oil was loaded with it at 12 month interval.

No you dont want used oil, from my jag or otherwise, its loaded with acids. (short trips, rich conditions)

Old 04-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

infrequent use is not a concern especially if changing it out every year, the oil doesn't break down... short trips where the engine oil doesn't rise to above boiling temperature to burn off condensation yeah that's bad.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
ARDUOUS

I am surprised to see that no one on this thread mentioned that the most arduous condition for oil is infrequent use and short trips.

In fact the non-arduous, ideal conditions were confused for being injurious.
Yes we did mention short trips. Infrequent useage is covered by the requirement to change at maximum 12 month intervals.

It is inappropriate to compound 'arduous use' penalties and 'infrequent useage' penalties.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

There is no greater 'hardship' on oil than short trips and infrequent use. That is the definition of arduous as far as oil is concerned.

Feel free to look it up instead of taking my word for it.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
infrequent use is not a concern especially if changing it out every year, the oil doesn't break down... short trips where the engine oil doesn't rise to above boiling temperature to burn off condensation yeah that's bad.
Condensation is the least of the problems.
Its acids that cant be burned off. Fuel and moisture can.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Here is an eye opening article about what 'Severe' service.

In This Century, Changing Your Oil Still Matters ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Old 04-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

not sure about eye-opening. We all agree, at least everyone who has chimed in here, that short hauls are the most damaging to an ICE. No where in there is he, even though he is not a known and respected authority on the matter, suggesting ever changing oil ahead of mfg's recommended intervals UNLESS under severe conditions (ie short hauls where the oil doesn't reach operating temps for a minimal period of time) in fact here you go quoted from his article -

Until oil "sensors" become universal, you are well advised to change your oil according to factory recommendations and adopt the "severe" interval if you have any doubts about your driving conditions.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

YES
adopt the "severe" interval if you have any doubts about your driving conditions

Precisely what I have done- oil is cheap, being wrong it is not.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

You don't have to be wrong - get tested. Send a sample off every month from 6 months on. Find what works for your driving conditions.

Changing the oil more frequently increases the possibility of damage to your engine. Why take that risk if its not needed?

Granted, at about 6,000 miles and six months is when I got my first oil change. I also needed a fuel filter, and had no records of a brake fluid flush, so had all done together.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG

The only exception Jaguar document to this frequency is for 'Arduous use only' but nowhere do they give a written description of what this is. The only logical conclusion is it must be for vehicles operated in extremes of either hot or cold temperatures or in exceptionally dusty conditions.
Hi Graham,
I believe the ambiguity is a caveat by design of the legal dept. So as not to leave oneself vulnerable to free warranty work, as other manufacturers have had to do for getting the oil change interval wrong (BMW). And they were much bigger companies. Apparently insufficient use is the most grueling of conditions.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 PM

Conspiracy theory!

My day is complete.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren

Changing the oil more frequently increases the possibility of damage to your engine. Why take that risk if its not needed?
You should do it yourself, its as easy as pumping gas.
There is no risk or possibility of damage if you do it the Jaguar method. Suck the oil out of the top, through the supplied tube. No mess either. Change the oil filter once a year if you like.

You know about the simple oil change tool available at Amazon?
Oil sample testing... that reminds me of the boy scout who picked up dog poop and proclaimed 'I nearly stepped on it'. By the time you test oil, you may as well change it for $40 bucks more.

The only fact you need to know is that BMW and GM, have both said they were wrong about oil change intervals. I dont think Jaguar ever would, not enough of them on the road.

The 15,000 Mile Oil Change Myth: The Real Damage Done To Your Engine ? ModBargains.com's Blog

Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Changing oil too often is probably not best for the environment, another minor negative.

Of course, 500+hp V8s aren't a problem! :P

If these engines were truly that sensitive, I'd think we'd hear a bit more about some catastrophic failures by now seeing as most everyone probably utilized the standard complimentary Jaguar maintenance program upfront....with the one year oil change frequency.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Banned

what's the best oil to use?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by leeper
what's the best oil to use?
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 04-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Oh boy.....

Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

I can simplify.

If you are someone that trust Jaguar's recommendation on Transmission oil change interval and Supercharger oil change interval- then carry on.

If you are in the other camp and have changed tranny oil, and sc oil with an eye to keeping the car longer than others, and knowing better, change your oil at 6 month intervals.

The best oil to use is Jaguar specified Castrol SLX made for Jaguar- no exceptions, not even Motul.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Banned

Q&C I think you're conveniently ignoring the reason for oil sampling with your comment of "instead of sampling just change it"- it is not to see if that fill is ready for a change or not, it is to get a solid scientific analysis to understand if your oil is deficient in any way, contains impurities beyond acceptable levels, contains metal shavings, if your oil has broken down due to excessive heat or if the additives are still performing as they should, etc. This gives great insight as to the condition of your engine (is it leaking coolant into the oil due to bad seals or rings? is it showing high levels of metal possibly showing potential bearing failure? ) as well as whether you should increase the frequency of your changes. The more you use them, cost is $28, the more they can graph each sample to better gauge the health of your particular engine. In every single case in cars I have yet to see where oil has been at a level of concern even when people have exceeded the recommended intervals. Again, this procedure is used for aviation including helicopters, jets engines, heavy equipment, etc in order to have a true understanding of what is happening and best ensure future longevity. It is interesting to see what various oils (Castrol vs Mobil1, differing weights, etc) do over a period of time in the very same engine

I sunk that best oil hook right in your upper lip. SNAP! Can't believe you fell for that, trade your Jag in and ride that short bus and wear your helmet

Last edited by Leeper; 04-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Mate,
An oil test will tell me nothing that I dont already know. And they are redundant on a low mileage engine.

What I need to know, is if the known problems on this engine, such as if hydraulic tensioner ports are getting clogged up. Its a $3k repair at minimum. oil test wont tell you that. Or it will only tell you what you have screwed up.

Its odd that you should debate what oil- if you are the sort to take manufacturers recommendations, why not use the oil they recommend. Moreover, should there ever be a recall due to Jaguar's fault or litigation, using the wrong oil would disqualify you out of the gate.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..