XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Its odd that you should debate what oil- if you are the sort to take manufacturers recommendations, why not use the oil they recommend. Moreover, should there ever be a recall due to Jaguar's fault or litigation, using the wrong oil would disqualify you out of the gate.

Come on Q&C, the others got it... look way up you may see it too. It's up there, over your head you'll see it eventually.

I tried WD-40 wasn't happy, now I use pure coconut oil, leaves a refreshing scent and keeps my skin feeling moist

Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Mate,
An oil test will tell me nothing that I dont already know.
No more needs to be said about you really. You know you're right.

Lots of us disagree. I suggest a mod closes the thread. It's gone nowhere and is going nowhere.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:23 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

ARDUOUS

I am surprised to see that no one on this thread mentioned that the most arduous condition for oil is infrequent use and short trips.

In fact the non-arduous, ideal conditions were confused for being injurious.
You can lead a horse to water, even shove it's snout into it, but you can't make them drink. The changes in viscosity after 5k miles alone is significant. The real misnomer in auto service is the distinction between regular and severe service schedules, is a carry over from 50 years ago, and really should be called "Ideal" and "Common" use. It's why I left this on page 1..

Originally Posted by Box
You will find the complete listing of "severe service" next to the signature portion of Jaguar Maintenance Check Sheet JLR-11-74-10-3E The Passport documentation states service intervals be cut in half. (12,000km or 6 month)

2006 MY Vehicle Maintenance Checklist (miles) [Jaguar XK X150] : JagDocs, The Source for Jaguar Documentation!
For those who are actually trained who know better, and those who want to extend the life of their vehicles using common sense, knows that there is no shortage of self-styled want-to-be experts with advice that contradicts the manufacturer's recommendations, and common sense.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 05:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
No more needs to be said about you really. You know you're right.

Lots of us disagree. I suggest a mod closes the thread. It's gone nowhere and is going nowhere.
I should have stated it in less 'yankee' way, so here it is; An oil test will not tell me the thing I need to know the most.

If you disagree with that please discuss, rather than shunting down. Its a Jaguar reputation saving subject, and of great discovery even for me.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Its odd that you should debate what oil- if you are the sort to take manufacturers recommendations, why not use the oil they recommend. Moreover, should there ever be a recall due to Jaguar's fault or litigation, using the wrong oil would disqualify you out of the gate.
No idea where you got the idea that using the wrong oil will disqualify a car from a recall or litigation.

If you meant 'warranty' the owner is obliged to use an oil that meets the OEM's spec is he wishes to benefit from an event where the lubrication system is involved.

Said spec is independent of Jag's marketing arrangement to recommend Castrol products. Warranty, by law, cannot be denied by use of another manufacturer's product that meets Jag's spec.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
No idea where you got the idea that using the wrong oil will disqualify a car from a recall or litigation.

Warranty, by law, cannot be denied by use of another manufacturer's product that meets Jag's spec.
Hallo Mickey.

Thats the problem, there is no other oil in USA that meets Jaguar's specifications for AJ133.

And its no marketing or legal bs either, the demands on the oil are quite unique.

Yes I have seen it happen- Jag denying new engine, under warranty, due to wrong oil. Engine skipped time. Its on the UK forum.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Hallo Mickey.

Thats the problem, there is no other oil in USA that meets Jaguar's specifications for AJ133.
Some but not all.

The XK manual (2009) states spec WSS M2C913-B. There's plenty of oils that meet that spec.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Box
Veteran Member

If you meant 'warranty' the owner is obliged to use an oil that meets the OEM's spec is he wishes to benefit from an event where the lubrication system is involved.

Said spec is independent of Jag's marketing arrangement to recommend Castrol products. Warranty, by law, cannot be denied by use of another manufacturer's product that meets Jag's spec.
From publication NP10-V8JLR; The all new Castrol SLX A1 5W-20 is a dedicated engine oil that has been co-engineered with JLR specifically for the 5.0-liter V8 engine.

LUBRICATION SYSTEM
Overview
Castrol SLX A1 5W-20 is a dedicated engine oil that has been co-engineered with JLR. Its low viscosity and advanced additive package help to reduce engine friction and maintain engine cleanliness. By running a cleaner, more efficient engine, the cost of ownership can be reduced and a saving on fuel can be made. With this improved efficiency the service intervals have moved to 15,000 miles / 12 months.

Synthetic oil is specified; this is more resistant to temperature-related degradation than conventional mineral oil. It also has lower viscosity at low temperatures and improved lubrication performance at higher temperatures. The specification of SLX Professional A1 5W-20 synthetic, oil is an important part of new engine’s oil change strategy as it permits longer oil-change intervals than conventional lubricants.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Some but not all.

The XK manual (2009) states spec WSS M2C913-B. There's plenty of oils that meet that spec.
So others dont have the same misunderstanding:

You DONT have the same engine as me. Not even the same lubrication system, nor the tolerances, nor the pressure, nor the critical oil driven accessories. Above all you dont have the known problems associated with lubrication.

Jaguar has even put a uv dye in the oil to help them. And yes it glows even when well used.

I state again: there is no oil in USA that meets Jaguar's specification for my engine other than Castrol SLX.

The oil distributor to Jag who I buy my oil from, also owns a Jag and has to wait to change his oil when supply does not come in. Its not the only oil he distributes. He could easily use any other oil.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
From publication NP10-V8JLR; The all new Castrol SLX A1 5W-20 is a dedicated engine oil that has been co-engineered with JLR specifically for the 5.0-liter V8 engine.

LUBRICATION SYSTEM
Overview
Castrol SLX A1 5W-20 is a dedicated engine oil that has been co-engineered with JLR. Its low viscosity and advanced additive package help to reduce engine friction and maintain engine cleanliness. By running a cleaner, more efficient engine, the cost of ownership can be reduced and a saving on fuel can be made. With this improved efficiency the service intervals have moved to 15,000 miles / 12 months.

Synthetic oil is specified; this is more resistant to temperature-related degradation than conventional mineral oil. It also has lower viscosity at low temperatures and improved lubrication performance at higher temperatures. The specification of SLX Professional A1 5W-20 synthetic, oil is an important part of new engine’s oil change strategy as it permits longer oil-change intervals than conventional lubricants.
David,
I would have thought that I am losing my mind if not for you. I dont get these people, they are experts giving advice to others. Buy grocery store gas, dont change oil, use non specified oil. I can get better advice from my insane asylum buddies.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:34 AM

I state again: there is no oil in USA that meets Jaguar's specification for my engine other than Castrol SLX.
You are posting the 2006-2014 XK/XKR section. Not all cars have the same engine as yours or the same oil spec. Again, the owners manual in many cars clearly states WSS M2C913-B.

The training guide frequently quoted does not override or supersede anything.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-23-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

You are posting the 2006-2014 XK/XKR section. Not all cars have the same engine as yours or the same oil spec.
So you are going to put your foot down and suggest we all use your oil spec.

This thread, if you recall is about a guy with my engine, asking if there is any downside to halving the oil change interval.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:47 AM

No, just suggesting (as always) that the owner's manual be followed and not as frequently suggested, make shade tree changes that cannot be substantiated as being either required or of benefit.

I've seen nothing here or elsewhere that demonstrates any error on Jag's part either in spec or interval.

The following users liked this post:
Tervuren (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Box
Veteran Member

David,
I would have thought that I am losing my mind if not for you. I dont get these people, they are experts giving advice to others. Buy grocery store gas, dont change oil, use non specified oil. I can get better advice from my insane asylum buddies.
As is apparent, yup. It's too bad, that before folks come offering their own personal advice, as if they are the manufacturer, that there isn't a required minimal competency testing beforehand. Those pesky technical training documents released by Jaguar, if they would just stop producing them...

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

David can I ask you for some technical help that relates to this topic. I am appreciative of your trade and promise to repay you in scotch or something.

I was able to cure my slight timing chain noise at startup. Gave the engine a good flush by changing the oil twice after running it for 2000 miles each time. Which included taking it on the hwy.

Since I put fresh oil in it 2 weeks ago, have not heard chain noise at all even when starting from a 4 day rest. I am however squiring a few drops of oil on the timing chain when starting from a long nap.

Is this possible or am I dreaming? BTW I measured carefully the oil I removed and it was not low at all. Can I prolong the inevitable timing chain replacement with my regiment. Only have 40k miles.

P.s the possible sludge was from previous owner's habits.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Box
Veteran Member

David can I ask you for some technical help that relates to this topic. I am appreciative of your trade and promise to repay you in scotch or something.

I was able to cure my slight timing chain noise at startup. Gave the engine a good flush by changing the oil twice after running it for 2000 miles each time. Which included taking it on the hwy.

Since I put fresh oil in it 2 weeks ago, have not heard chain noise at all even when starting from a 4 day rest. I am however squiring a few drops of oil on the timing chain when starting from a long nap.

Is this possible or am I dreaming? BTW I measured carefully the oil I removed and it was not low at all. Can I prolong the inevitable timing chain replacement with my regiment. Only have 40k miles.

P.s the possible sludge was from previous owner's habits.
There are only 2 fluids I would ever place in an engine besides a good quality synthetic oil. One, I use every change, and that is BG MOA. The other, is Marvel Mystery Oil. The BG product has decades under it's belt, and is a ester based Type IV synthetic additive that is unlike anything else, and found at most dealers and good independent shops.

More modern oils like Castrol's FST, is a titanium element that bonds to metals, and other companies like Phillips (Kendall oil) is using it in their oils as well. That is a good product so far and performs from a load perspective, much like the performance of the ester based MOA, except MOA doesn't rely on metal to metal contact to take advantage of it's ester based synthetic properties. I have seen motors with MOA added, warmed to operating temp, the pan dropped, oil drained, and with no oil pressure, started and run for hours without any serious damage done upon teardown inspection to camshaft or main and rod bearings. MOA is not an approved Jaguar additive. Castrol's full synthetic w/FST is.

Deposits left in the engine, like what was seen in the NOACK examples, accumulate over time, and it takes time to remove it properly. That's where Marvel Mystery Oil comes into play. It will gently remove sludge and cleanse the internals without doing damage to it. MMO has 80+ years of experience under it's belt, and works very well for that specific purpose. The question comes in, would I use it in the AJ133. As for me personally, having decades of exposure to it, using it numerous times and seeing it's results, I personally might use it for a couple of changes to clean internals, but that is not the advisement of Jaguar. You can do the same with a good quality, high detergent synthetic like what Jaguar is recommending, but it will take more time, and more frequent changes.

The issues seen on the AJ133 in the timing chain area appears to be the same thing GM and Ford is finding, that long extended drain intervals (and customer's perception that severe service intervals doesn't ever apply to them) is the cause of wear in those areas. Jaguar's current Castrol Professional w/FST is one of those candidates to help with this issue, and I personally don't run any of my vehicles more than 5k to 6k miles without a change. I know first hand that the type of driving I do (as well as 80% of all vehicles on the road) falls into multiple categories of severe service. But worn or broken parts can only be replaced.

Lastly, I would invite any of the nay-say-ers and conventional motor oil users to a valve-cover-off pic on a 100k+ mile vehicle, and taking a pic of the cleanliness of their engine under the cover in contrast to mine.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Thank You Kindly sir. I am going to share this with another forum member, who has 2 XKRs and had timing chain and cam actuators replaced on both. All under 20,000 miles. The actuators were my first clue that this was an oil related problem.

I hope its saves a lot of grief to others as well.

Because I lack technical expertise I did not add anything to the motor to clean it other than oil. Its so gratifying to hear that I did the right thing because I first accepted the fact that I am a halfwit.

Thank you stranger. I dont take it lightly, sending you a pm.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Training manuals certainly have their place and can be of great value, but depend upon the document holder to use them appropriately.

In no way does a training manual override the information provided in the owner's manual or language contained in the contractual warranty policy. The general consumer does not possess a copy of the training manual nor do any of the documents that come with the car make reference to it.

In case of conflict, the documentation furnished with the car takes precedence. This standard protocol can be overwritten, in case of error, by the OEM issuing a TSB or recall if safety is concerned.

No such documents of relevance have been issued by Jag.

SWMBO has been reading this thread with great delight, her background being in OEM warranty administration and contracts area. We first met many years ago in the office when I was her engineering and tech guy. She reminded me of a series of claims that were denied with the amount in the area of $25K or so, each.

The engines were indeed damaged, but the damage had been inflicted by a customer's employee attempting to disassemble the engine in accordance with the illustrated parts catalogue and not the engine maintenance manual as is specifically required.

The sequence of disassembly for the specific area as laid out in the EMM was critical and had been ignored. A reminder was eventually added to the parts catalogue that essentially said

Unbelievably another customer some years later committed the same blunder. As was said earlier, you can lead a horse to water, etc etc.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

So what's the best oil?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Training manuals certainly have their place and can be of great value, but depend upon the document holder to use them appropriately.

In no way does a training manual override the information provided in the owner's manual or language contained in the contractual warranty policy. The general consumer does not possess a copy of the training manual nor do any of the documents that come with the car make reference to it.

In case of conflict, the documentation furnished with the car takes precedence. This standard protocol can be overwritten, in case of error, by the OEM issuing a TSB or recall if safety is concerned.

No such documents of relevance have been issued by Jag.

SWMBO has been reading this thread with great delight, her background being in OEM warranty administration and contracts area. We first met many years ago in the office when I was her engineering and tech guy. She reminded me of a series of claims that were denied with the amount in the area of $25K or so, each.

The engines were indeed damaged, but the damage had been inflicted by a customer's employee attempting to disassemble the engine in accordance with the illustrated parts catalogue and not the engine maintenance manual as is specifically required.

The sequence of disassembly for the specific area as laid out in the EMM was critical and had been ignored. A reminder was eventually added to the parts catalogue that essentially said

Unbelievably another customer some years later committed the same blunder. As was said earlier, you can lead a horse to water, etc etc.
Yes, but telling us that watermelon tastes great cold, has nothing to do with buying tires. And neither of your points has anything to do with oil related issues, Jaguar's documented specific recommendations or maintenance schedules.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..