XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
So what's the best oil?
Apparently Jag's recommendations and warnings mean nothing or they can be ignored if the person feels like it.

Regarding the mention above of adding BG MOA or MMO, Page 180 of the 2010 manual specifically says:

! Do not use oil additives of any type as
engine damage could occur. Use only
specified lubricants.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM

In another amazing turn of events, the following definition of 'severe driving conditions' is found on page 176 of the same owners manual. No mention of short trips or stop and go traffic.

Doesn't sound like 80% of vehicles to me.

"Severe driving conditions
When vehicles are used under severe driving
conditions maintenance must be carried out at
six-monthly intervals.
Severe driving conditions include:
Driving in dusty conditions.
Driving on unmetalled road surfaces.
Driving in countries with high ambient
temperatures.
Driving in severe cold weather.
Driving in areas using road salt or other
corrosive materials.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Apparently Jag's recommendations and warnings mean nothing or they can be ignored if the person feels like it.

Regarding the mention above of adding BG MOA or MMO, Page 180 of the 2010 manual specifically says:

! Do not use oil additives of any type as
engine damage could occur. Use only
specified lubricants.

Jaguar has no control over the market, or it's products. Professionals in the industry have a good idea what does and does not work. And both of those of those products are used by dealers, including Jaguar dealers. Now, I said in both cases that they are non-approved by Jaguar.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Leave it now Mickey. Since you dont have the technical training, nor the engine, nor any skin in the game, I say you are the least experienced of us all. I would be a bigger fool than I am to listen to ya.

The original posters concerns have been well answered. Even your questions were very nicely addressed if you only care to read. Dont move the goal post anymore.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Box
Veteran Member

In another amazing turn of events, the following definition of 'severe driving conditions' is found on page 176 of the same owners manual. No mention of short trips or stop and go traffic.

Doesn't sound like 80% of vehicles to me.

"Severe driving conditions
When vehicles are used under severe driving
conditions maintenance must be carried out at
six-monthly intervals.
Severe driving conditions include:
Driving in dusty conditions.
Driving on unmetalled road surfaces.
Driving in countries with high ambient
temperatures.
Driving in severe cold weather.
Driving in areas using road salt or other
corrosive materials.
I can only assume you live in a place with no atmosphere, never reaches temps in the 100F area, or below freezing. Never drive on roads or see City traffic. For the remainder of the 99.9999% of the world, over 80% experience the afore mentioned. And that doesn't include quick trips to the store or to pick up the kids, which would constitute short trips, where the vehicle doesn't reach full operating temperatures. These are specified in the Passport to Service Maintenance Booklet supplied with your vehicle.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
Jaguar has no control over the market, or it's products. Professionals in the industry have a good idea what does and does not work. And both of those of those products are used by dealers, including Jaguar dealers. Now, I said in both cases that they are non-approved by Jaguar.
Just to clarify for the readers who are genuinely reading for problems related to the AJ133. You did mention, Jaguar spec oil was the safest additive, albeit the slowest working. I read that loud and clear, use oil changes as a means of keeping it clean. For me oil is cheap, I am doing 3 a year. I am also keeping my car forever.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Just to clarify for the readers who are genuinely reading for problems related to the AJ133. You did mention, Jaguar spec oil was the safest additive, albeit the slowest working. I read that loud and clear, use oil changes as a means of keeping it clean. For me oil is cheap, I am doing 3 a year. I am also keeping my car forever.
I get good service from all of my vehicles, and 2 of them have over 250k miles, and still drive like new. I am asked time and again what year my XJ is, and most think, when I ask, what year do you think it is? They say, I can't tell, but it looks brand new. Oil is cheap, and cars are not.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

whoops, can't figure out how to delete my post.

Last edited by Tervuren; 04-23-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

The last two posts are anecdotal stories dripping with pure "inference" rather than any sort of factual quantifiable claims at all. Let me add my worthless anecdotal story as well - In my Acura I used Castrol dino oil changed it every 3000 miles per mfg recommendation never had a single engine issue then gave the car to a friend for free it still ran perfectly getting over 30mpg. That doesn't mean changing the oil more or less often would changed that. I'm not advocating 3000 mile intervals with dino oil. With these stories they're not able to state with any level of accuracy if it was "Causal or correlational", they cannot bring science to back their claim of increasing the frequency increases in ANY way longevity or lesser issues. Back to the initial post - there is ZERO scientific backing that changing oil ahead of mfg's recommendation has any effect other than padding the pockets of dealerships, Jiffy Lube, Mobil/Exxon/Castrol/etc. "The quote of "oil is cheap" et al is a rhetorical statement but also holds no value at all. So changing the oil every 3 1/2 weeks or 11 miles would be infinitely better that every 6 mo's or 3K miles? Where do you draw the line??? Those educated people who built our cars seem to think 15K miles or 1 year is the right number and there's been nothing in this discussion that has done anything to bend that needle in their direction... in fact Q&C himself posted that link to Car and Driver monkey who stated the very same thing. Like religion, abortion, bigfoot, aliens, etc these are "hot topics" where people either believe science purely or they go by faith (believing in the absence of proof) then they stack anecdotal stories and hearsay to try to somehow convince others their position is the correct one with each side holding dearly to their stance disregarding any supporting evidence from the opposing viewpoint.

Last edited by Leeper; 04-23-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member

The last two posts are anecdotal stories dripping with pure "inference" rather than any sort of factual quantifiable claims at all. Let me add my worthless anecdotal story as well - In my Acura I used Castrol dino oil changed it every 3000 miles per mfg recommendation never had a single engine issue then gave the car to a friend for free it still ran perfectly getting over 30mpg. That doesn't mean changing the oil more or less often would changed that. I'm not advocating 3000 mile intervals with dino oil. With these stories they're not able to state with any level of accuracy if it was "Causal or correlational", they cannot bring science to back their claim of increasing the frequency increases in ANY way longevity or lesser issues. Back to the initial post - there is ZERO scientific backing that changing oil ahead of mfg's recommendation has any effect other than padding the pockets of dealerships, Jiffy Lube, Mobil/Exxon/Castrol/etc. "The quote of "oil is cheap" et al is a rhetorical statement but also holds no value at all. So changing the oil every 3 1/2 weeks or 11 miles would be infinitely better that every 6 mo's or 3K miles? Where do you draw the line??? Those educated people who built our cars seem to think 15K miles or 1 year is the right number and there's been nothing in this discussion that has done anything to bend that needle in their direction... in fact Q&C himself posted that link to Car and Driver monkey who stated the very same thing. Like religion, abortion, bigfoot, aliens, etc these are "hot topics" where people either believe science purely or they go by faith (believing in the absence of proof) then they stack anecdotal stories and hearsay to try to somehow convince others their position is the correct one with each side holding dearly to their stance disregarding any supporting evidence from the opposing viewpoint.
While I appreciate your attempts to present the items as anecdotal, the truth is, the issues are in fact real. There is numerous posts on numerous boards concerning the issues with AJ133 timing chains. Even TSB's released concerning this issue. It would be as silly as calling the reports of the AJ26 and AJ27 chain adjusters as anecdotal. Sometimes the issues are poor design, some are poor maintenance schedules. VVT issues on the AJ33 is a good example. Ask GM or Ford or BMW or Benz or even Jaguar.

You're assertions that frequent schedules are simply marketing schemes is absurd. Conventional oils do not meet the recommended specifications set forth by Jaguar for well over a decade.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Misquoting me is like using my hand to scratch your itch- its perverse but flattering.
The link/s I posted all say that major manufacturers have had to back off their 15,000 mile interval to 7,000- due to unforeseen problems. You also failed to read that Jaguar DOES NOT recommend 15,000 mile oil changes in all conditions.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Actually go back a few posts and you'll see, unless you continue to look away from, the actual "cut and paste" from your link not my link by Car and Driver stating that recommended intervals are what he recommends as well. As to your stating " in all conditions", wow that's what you're going to anchor your argument to? Not sure where you came up with that gem or pearl of wisdom but I have yet to see where anyone, including myself, stated otherwise... in fact I've repeatedly said that if you're racing or using it for only short nails repeatedly are about the only exceptions that makes sense with an X150 to increase the frequency of oil changes. I have not either seen anyone here nor elsewhere that has argued otherwise so that's rather a moot point don't ya think? Mentioning of using it on non-paved roads or for towing is such a ridiculous things it is not worth mentioning. So stay "on point" here, offer something with regard to data, some science, not anecdotal hearsay that will bolster your claim that somehow, someway changing oil ahead of the recommended interval in ANY way helps longevity or prevents in any way breakdowns due to oil degradation... whether that be with our beloved Jags, airplanes, any cars, etc made in the last 10 years or so not old cars where oils and such have changed drastically. And please don't attempt your feable misquotations or accusations again... I took that line right from YOUR posting in a cut and paste not rewritten so to ensure accuracy funny how you just ignored it when I posted it back a few pages

Last edited by Leeper; 04-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Box
I can only assume you live in a place with no atmosphere, never reaches temps in the 100F area, or below freezing.
Where did you get those numbers? You consider 'below freezing' to be severe cold weather?

Originally Posted by Box
Never drive on roads or see City traffic.
It mentions nothing about 'roads' other than unmetalled (unpaved). I don't know of many Jags that spend extensive amounts of time on unpaved roads. Do you?

Again, the owner's manual does NOT mention city driving. If there's a conflict between it and the passport to service, why not contact Jag and let them know?

Trying to pick and choose what you believe applies and what doesn't seriously weakens any and all arguments, including the one that 'a professional' is exempt from the warning about additives.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Where did you get those numbers? You consider 'below freezing' to be severe cold weather?

It mentions nothing about 'roads' other than unmetalled (unpaved). I don't know of many Jags that spend extensive amounts of time on unpaved roads. Do you?

Again, the owner's manual does NOT mention city driving. If there's a conflict between it and the passport to service, why not contact Jag and let them know?

Trying to pick and choose what you believe applies and what doesn't seriously weakens any and all arguments, including the one that 'a professional' is exempt from the warning about additives.
AAA study finds most motorists drive under severe conditions, do not realize it | AAA NewsRoom

AAA has no vested interest in any automaker or oil company.

2006 MY Vehicle Maintenance Checklist (miles) [Jaguar XK X150] : JagDocs, The Source for Jaguar Documentation!

Pay special attention to the lower right corner.

Mikey, very few times do I place someone on an ignore list. But to be honest with you, you've made mine. Have a great day.

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Posting vital info again for concerned parties. From Car and Driver.

Toyota's specified oil changes at 7500 miles. But its manuals also specified 3750-mile changes for cars in "severe" service. "Severe" service applies to vehicles used on short trips, especially in winter, situations where the engine never warms up. It also involves towing and stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic, especially in hot climates, which elevates oil temperature. These are exactly the conditions that promote sludge formation. So how is an owner to determine the threshold between "normal" and "severe" service? Toyota concluded that an owner couldn't be expected to know and has since revised its oil-change schedules for all its vehicles to 5000 miles.

You see the confusion is perfectly normal. And to be expected from some, particularly when it appears to be a form of fleecing.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

No manufacturer of a GT anticipated what people like me do- never drive the thing. Especially not on the hwy. There is no more severe service than that when it comes to oil.

I bet money, if they ever sell enough Ftpye aj133- they too will revise oil change schedules. No one puts miles on a $100,000 car just to clean out the engine. Or even drive it 12 months out of the year. Just the ctek sales should give some indication of that.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Box
AAA study finds most motorists drive under severe conditions, do not realize it | AAA NewsRoom

AAA has no vested interest in any automaker or oil company.

2006 MY Vehicle Maintenance Checklist (miles) [Jaguar XK X150] : JagDocs, The Source for Jaguar Documentation!

Pay special attention to the lower right corner.

Mikey, very few times do I place someone on an ignore list. But to be honest with you, you've made mine. Have a great day.
AAA doesn't design, build or warrant cars. Why would I care what they think, especially when they invent their own definition of 'severe service' and it conflicts with the OEM's?

The inclusion of 'Drive at low speeds of less than 50 miles per hour for long distances' supposedly being 'severe service' absolutely kills any credibility.

I'm familiar with the JLR 11 72 10-3E vehicle maintenance sheet and it's predecessors. I guess you missed the fact that it's not applicable to cars beyond the 2009 model year. Upper right hand corner.

In any case, the wording states:

The maintenance items listed, are those recommended for vehicles operating under normal driving, road and climatic conditions. More frequent attention may be necessary if the vehicle is subject to stop/start operation, extremes of temperature, dusty conditions, off road driving or frequent towing of trailers.

Where does it say the interval is cut in half?

Old 04-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Box
Veteran Member

AAA doesn't design, build or warrant cars. Why would I care what they think, especially when they invent their own definition of 'severe service' and it conflicts with the OEM's?

The inclusion of 'Drive at low speeds of less than 50 miles per hour for long distances' supposedly being 'severe service' absolutely kills any credibility.

I'm familiar with the JLR 11 72 10-3E vehicle maintenance sheet and it's predecessors. I guess you missed the fact that it's not applicable to cars beyond the 2009 model year. Upper right hand corner.

In any case, the wording states:

Where does it say the interval is cut in half?
From the "Passport to Service Maintenance" provided with all new Jaguars (and has been part of the documentation since my 92 XJ40 at least)

MAINTENANCE SERVICE

RECOMMENDATIONS;
Climatic and operating conditions affect maintenance requirements to a large extent. Therefore, the determination of maintenance intervals must be left to the good judgment of the owner or the advice of an authorized Jaguar retailer.

Vehicles operating under arduous conditions – frequent short trips, off-road use, trailer towing and frequent starts below freezing – will require more frequent servicing. Under these circumstances, the maintenance intervals should be cut in half.

NOTE: Should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions, Jaguar recommends that the maintenance intervals be cut in half. Contact your Jaguar retailer for additional information and recommendations

http://www.jagdocs.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=228

Last time Mikey. Have a great day

Last edited by Box; 04-23-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

AAA doesn't design, build or warrant cars. Why would I care what they think, especially when they invent their own definition of 'severe service' and it conflicts with the OEM's??
Its not Alcoholics Anonymous of America- its Automotive Association of America, i.e. all things automotive, including breakdowns.

Their definition of severe service absolutely coincides with OEMS.

Moreover, only they have the ability to poll drivers of all makes, as they have the database.

Having to explain this to you should give you some gauge of where you stand.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Its not Alcoholics Anonymous of America- its Automotive Association of America, i.e. all things automotive, including breakdowns.

Their definition of severe service absolutely coincides with OEMS.

Moreover, only they have the ability to poll drivers of all makes, as they have the database.

Having to explain this to you should give you some gauge of where you stand.
I've come to learn in life, some will argue for no other reason than they don't have one. You can fix ignorance, but you cannot fix stupid.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..