XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
From the "Passport to Service Maintenance" provided with all new Jaguars (and has been part of the documentation since my 92 XJ40 at least)

MAINTENANCE SERVICE

RECOMMENDATIONS;
Climatic and operating conditions affect maintenance requirements to a large extent. Therefore, the determination of maintenance intervals must be left to the good judgment of the owner or the advice of an authorized Jaguar retailer.

Vehicles operating under arduous conditions – frequent short trips, off-road use, trailer towing and frequent starts below freezing – will require more frequent servicing. Under these circumstances, the maintenance intervals should be cut in half.

NOTE: Should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions, Jaguar recommends that the maintenance intervals be cut in half. Contact your Jaguar retailer for additional information and recommendations

2010 MY Vehicle Maintenance Checklist (miles) [Jaguar XK XKR X150] : JagDocs, The Source for Jaguar Documentation!

Last time Mikey. Have a great day
Have you advised Jag of the conflict with the owner's manual? Ask them which one the owner is to follow.

You have a great day too.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Have you advised Jag of the conflict with the owner's manual? Ask them which one the owner is to follow.

blah blah blah blah blah. blah blah...

Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Some show of grace there.
Once someone shows you specifically what you asked about, instead of thanking or even apologizing as in this case, you move the goal post.
Sure lets blame Jaguar for your confusion.

Just answer this- did you see where it says cut the service interval in half. End of debate. I too am learning you will stand on a tree and debate, with or without conviction.

BTW I did not want to pile on you and did not answer your earlier criticism that the model year was wrong- it says the same thing for my model year!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Some show of grace there.
Once someone shows you specifically what you asked about, instead of thanking or even apologizing as in this case, you move the goal post.
Sure lets blame Jaguar for your confusion.

Just answer this- did you see where it says cut the service interval in half. End of debate. I too am learning you will stand on a tree and debate, with or without conviction.

BTW I did not want to pile on you and did not answer your earlier criticism that the model year was wrong- it says the same thing for my model year!

What I did see was a myriad of documents being presented that caused great confusion, one of which has no legal standing on the matter (training manual) but most importantly, complete dismissal of what is written in the applicable owners manual on the subjects of severe service and oil additives.

So who is it that should show some grace when they're proven wrong?

This is followed by cherry picking of some facts from some documents while ignoring obvious conflicts with one or two others, to come up with yet a different set of 'supposed' OEM recommendations.

Give me a break. If I had responded in such a manner during my working career, I would have been out on my ear that same day.

Let's say the AAA study is correct and that Box is correct with his definition. IOW- 80% of cars belong on a severe service schedule but only 6% follow through. There should be an awful lot of damaged engines with ensuing enormous public outrage and lawsuits.

There just isn't, and never has been. That says it all.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-23-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
tampamark (04-24-2016), Tervuren (04-23-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

This has gotten quite comical in it's childishness. The one I find the most amusing is the "I put you on ignore" (you showed him) and then not ignoring.

Usually you this on the lower end car forums, usually 3 series BMW, G35 forums.

So people have their own opinion and will not be swayed to your logic no matter what, either way. Who cares. Me, I will service my car at the OEM prescribed interval. The doomsayers say I am going to be in trouble. I could care less...

Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
This has gotten quite comical in it's childishness. The one I find the most amusing is the "I put you on ignore" (you showed him) and then not ignoring.

Usually you this on the lower end car forums, usually 3 series BMW, G35 forums.

So people have their own opinion and will not be swayed to your logic no matter what, either way. Who cares. Me, I will service my car at the OEM prescribed interval. The doomsayers say I am going to be in trouble. I could care less...
I've said it before, there is no shortage of self-styled wanna-be-experts in the automotive forums. Your technical expertise in the Automotive Industry is what by the way?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
I've said it before, there is no shortage of self-styled wanna-be-experts in the automotive forums. Your technical expertise in the Automotive Industry is what by the way?
Never claimed to be, never will. I don't need to be an industry expert to own a car or to make my decisions on how it will be maintained. I certainly do not have to justify my choices and establish my credentials, or lack thereof, to anyone. If this car falls apart because I choose to stick to the service interval then so be it.

I am not trying to sway anyone to my side, just stating that I believe the 15k/1 year interval will suffice and that 6-8 years from now my car will be fine. We can revisit this conversation then, if I am wrong I will be the first to tell you so...

I definitely will not fall into the childish trap you are trying to set!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Discussion boards by nature are full of 'wanna be' amateur enthusiasts. Fortunately, there's not an equal amount of 'I'm a professional, listen to me and ignore all others' types that might have a few letters after their name but not much else. We've all run into people who may have all sorts of education but can't seem to apply the knowledge appropriately.

The idea presented here that Jag publishes maintenance schedules that cannot be used by 80% of owners is ludicrous. No OEM publishes documentation that way. It defies common logic by opening the OEM up to legal action when it all goes wrong. The present scandal at VW would pale by comparison.

If anything the schedule would be written to suit the 80% and the 'small print' as referenced here would give allowances for the 20%.

For those that don't look at the other model sections, the debacle above follows closely on the heels of a prolonged debate over an (imaginary) requirement by Jag to use the latest spec synthetic oil in a car that didn't come with synthetic in the first place nor were serviced with it by the dealers while under the OEM 'free' maintenance plans. The same tactics of 'I'm a professional' were used.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

We mustn't forget the premise of this thread.
The owner of this thread , and others such as myself, inquired of expert opinion if indeed best practice, for our driving condition, was to change the oil twice a year.

Had this thread been the inverse, "I change my oil once a year, am I right?'' And someone was fighting you to change your mind, then the contrarians would have a leg to stand on.

I dont understand why those who change their oil once a year must fight us?? We are not trying to change your mind- rather the other way around. And even worse the loudest voices dont even own the bloody engine in question here. This is as much a study in human behavior as it is oil.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:17 PM

I dont understand why those who change their oil once a year must fight us??
Us? There's you and 'the professional'. Not one other poster agrees with you. All others in fact strongly disagree.

Opinions and theories are just that. It's facts that count in the end. Like the other endless arguments over ethanol, octane, nitrogen, filters, etc. there's amazingly no evidence to back up the outrageous claims.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Never claimed to be, never will. I don't need to be an industry expert to own a car or to make my decisions on how it will be maintained. I certainly do not have to justify my choices and establish my credentials, or lack thereof, to anyone. If this car falls apart because I choose to stick to the service interval then so be it.

I am not trying to sway anyone to my side, just stating that I believe the 15k/1 year interval will suffice and that 6-8 years from now my car will be fine. We can revisit this conversation then, if I am wrong I will be the first to tell you so...

I definitely will not fall into the childish trap you are trying to set!
Your assumption of some nefarious plan is short sighted. I simply asked to determine what level of expertise you were basing your assertions on. As I remember about 2 years ago you were bailing from BMW. To be honest with you, I couldn't care less if you ever changed the oil in your vehicle, or if you used old deep-fryer oil in it. I just wouldn't want to be the second owner.

Last edited by Box; 04-24-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Us? There's you and 'the professional'. Not one other poster agrees with you. All others in fact strongly disagree.

Opinions and theories are just that. It's facts that count in the end. Like the other endless arguments over ethanol, octane, nitrogen, filters, etc. there's amazingly no evidence to back up the outrageous claims.
I guess if people could see their delusions there would be no disagreement in the world.
The tread owner has also been doing 6 month oil changes since he owned the car 6 years ago!!

Have you ever done an oil change on a 5.0? or owned one? when you get an ASE Master Tech certification. Come shout down my throat. Till then see how outrageous it is for you to talk down to others.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Box
Veteran Member

I guess if people could see their delusions there would be no disagreement in the world.
The tread owner has also been doing 6 month oil changes since he owned the car 6 years ago!!

Have you ever done an oil change on a 5.0? or owned one? when you get an ASE Master Tech certification. Come shout down my throat. Till then see how outrageous it is for you to talk down to others.
I once heard a quote, “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
― Isaac Asimov

If folks would stop just introducing facts into the conversation, their assumptions would be worth much more.

Last edited by Box; 04-24-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

To get back on subject:

The thing to keep in mind with the 5.0 DI is that we are in completely uncharted territory. Not just for Jaguar but also other manufacturers. Top manufacturers who have massive research departments and millions of miles of data collected are discovering missteps. Honda, Toyota, BMW, GM, have all premature timing chain failure and failure, due to oil driven tensioners and demand placed by DI on the timing chain.

No one has any definitive answers how to solve the problem. So it is anybody's guess. Many of them have however reduced their oil change intervals.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Box
Veteran Member

To get back on subject:

The thing to keep in mind with the 5.0 DI is that we are in completely uncharted territory. Not just for Jaguar but also other manufacturers. Top manufacturers who have massive research departments and millions of miles of data collected are discovering missteps. Honda, Toyota, BMW, GM, have all premature timing chain failure and failure, due to oil driven tensioners and demand placed by DI on the timing chain.

No one has any definitive answers how to solve the problem. So it is anybody's guess. Many of them have however reduced their oil change intervals.
Right now, the best advice is to use the fluids developed and tested by Jaguar, and maintain the frequency set forth in the maintenance schedules, based upon your driving habits. As of right now, as stated by Jaguar.com

"Some owners may wish to have their engine oil changed more frequently than required, should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions. These extra services may be performed on a customer pay basis and the Service Interval Indicator will not be reset.

The Passport to Service’s Maintenance Schedule Table describes the service and maintenance to be performed on your vehicle. Jaguar may publish updates to your Retailer for any changes to the maintenance schedules published in the Passport to Service. Wear and tear items (e.g., brake pads and windshield wiper blades) are excluded.

Having your vehicle serviced and maintained at the specified interval is critical to maintaining its long term durability. Failure to do this may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances."

"Jaguar exclusively recommends Castrol EDGE Professional oil, engineered to perfectly complement our engines and optimise performance. Castrol EDGE Professional is stocked by Jaguar dealers."

Oil change frequency is one of the most critical things one can do. And using the right oil is as important, especially when the manufacturer says do so.

Last edited by Box; 04-24-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Just answer this- did you see where it says cut the service interval in half.
In the multiple links posted I can't see where Jaguar say that, so since I presumably must have missed it please say where it is.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
In the multiple links posted I can't see where Jaguar say that, so since I presumably must have missed it please say where it is.
You will find it written in the Passport to Service Maintenance booklet supplied with all vehicles. One, in the written instructions section, as well as atop the maintenance schedule table. I also copied and pasted directly from the Passport in a prior post.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

This whole oil issue has been kept on the down-low by manufacturers.
BMW for instance issued an across the board advisory to cut the oil change interval in half. (regardless of condition). Interestingly, only 2014 and onwards- even though, many of the older models are the exact same engine. The difference is 2014 and up BMW is on the hook.

From a BMW tuner.
We have always recommended to our customers 7,500 miles. We have seen too many issues lately (spun rod bearings on an M5 motor, timing chain issues on the MINI Cooper, turbo seal issues on the newer BMW motors) that we can relate to oil, oil level, and oil quality. With the advent of “direct injected” engines, we are also seeing a change in the amount of carbon in the oil. Therefore, more frequent oil changes are required.

You can triangulate for yourself what is going on. If you change your oil more frequently than recommended- odds are you are not as stupid as folks suggest.

If Jaguar had enough cars on the road, they too would be revisiting the 15,000 mile number. Fortunately for them, most will be out of warranty by the time they hit 60,000 miles mark.

I absolutely do not want to convince anyone that does 1year/15000 mile oil change, to change. I want to reassure those who do spend extra, look no further than BMW's findings, you will ultimately come out ahead. Look at the link below, GM has had to eat crow too. And look why- timing chain. Observe one of the most prevalent JLR issues on any vehicle with the 5.0. Do the math, manufacturers are shortening, retracting, what does that tell you.

GM Shortens Oil Change Interval Warnings for 779,000 Vehicles

Below is an illuminating document from the Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association. On Severe conditions.
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/94-1R1.pdf

Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM

If Jaguar had enough cars on the road, they too would be revisiting the 15,000 mile number. Fortunately for them, most will be out of warranty by the time they hit 60,000 miles mark.

This was the same doom and gloom theory put forward many years ago when Jag announced a 10K interval, and with dino oil to boot.

History has proven that this interval was not in the least bit adventurous.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..