XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016 | 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

My math is wrong on the amount of air. But 7000 liters per minute at 3000 rpm cant be wrong. So 420,000 liters of air per hour
At those volumes, you will get easy compounding. .01% of dirt getting by, as it does in the best filter, will equate to 4200 liters of air being totally unfiltered- per hour.

If you drive 10,000 miles at an average of 30mph, thats 333 hours, if the average rpm was 1500- that equals 600,000 liters of unfiltered air.

This is where the stop and go driving becomes a factor because avg rpms are much higher in stop-go than cruising on the freeway.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-25-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2016 | 12:30 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not to mention frequent/continuous pulling of a trailer, off roading in the desert or stop/start driving similar to taxi service.

Can't remember seeing too many Jags of any type fitting into that category, never mind an XK.

There's no evidence that suggests the Jag recommended intervals are in any way 'adventurous' and needed to shortened. Beware those who arbitrarily cut them in half with a warning that bad things will happen to those that don't follow suit.

If anything, some of the intervals are starting to fall behind those of other manufacturers who are keeping up with modern materials and methods.
Where would I find and xkr taxi?? Sounds like my kind of taxi service. ;-)

Old 04-25-2016 | 12:35 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Thanks for explaining how filters work, but I think even the most technically unaware already get it.

It appears that everyone is being lumped into the same basket of absolute lack of knowledge, education, experience and most importantly, common sense. This leads to a tendency to think that everyone will believe every pearl of wisdom uttered, no matter how outrageous. It seems that only one person actually does and that's his privilege.

What you are suggesting is that the Jag filter is inadequate as it allows <10 micron particles to enter the engine in unacceptable quantities which then cause damage.

If this was true (and never mind the absolute lack of evidence to back up your statement), why would Jag have committed such a fundamental blunder that affects, as you keep repeating, 80% of all vehicles? Would they not have just fitted a better filter? Silly OEMs.

I've noted as this thread continues, you are grabbing at thinner and thinner straws. I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you just gave up at this point. We could all go back to arguing about important things like nitrogen in tires.
No, my comments to you are addressed to you specifically. Obviously by your assertions you haven't "got it" quite yet.

Old 04-25-2016 | 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by guy
Where would I find and xkr taxi?? Sounds like my kind of taxi service. ;-)
No word of lie, there was a taxi company that had several S-types where I used to live in Quebec. They also had a few Merc and an Audi. You could specify what type of car you wanted when you called. The Jags were the most popular by far.

AFAIK, the owner didn't follow any severe service interval and never once did any of the cars explode.

The following users liked this post:
guy (04-27-2016)
Old 04-25-2016 | 12:46 PM
Box
Veteran Member

No word of lie, there was a taxi company that had several S-types where I used to live in Quebec. They also had a few Merc and an Audi. You could specify what type of car you wanted when you called. The Jags were the most popular by far.

AFAIK, the owner didn't follow any severe service interval and never once did any of the cars explode.
And since you admittedly don't know, then don't assert knowledge from a position of ignorance.

Old 04-25-2016 | 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

I dont know David,
I am tempted to take Mickey's astute deductions; look to the s-type taxis when in doubt about maintaining a super car. You cant even begin to argue with that rationale.

Old 04-25-2016 | 01:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I dont know David,
I am tempted to take Mickey's astute deductions; look to the s-type taxis when in doubt about maintaining a super car. You cant even begin to argue with that rationale.
It is my experience over the decades, that every board, no matter the subject matter, always has a person, or group of persons, who make it their passion to be argumentative with even the most basic of logic and common sense. Trolls are nothing new. Nothing scares a person more, who has little or no knowledge, who assert their opinion as authoritative, than a person who actually has taken time to study, or has expertise in a field. Their ego always suffers.

Old 04-25-2016 | 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I think he is a good guy. He just gets compulsively obsessed in arguing for the sake of arguing.

The word straight from Jaguar, the owner of this thread, you an ASE MT, me, none of it is good enough for him**. Yet somehow his word and only his word should be good enough for us.

Its only human.

** keep in mind we are not telling him what to do with his Stype- he is calling us stupid for what we do our modern Jaguar.

As I said its becoming a study in primate behavior.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-25-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2016 | 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Box
No, my comments to you are addressed to you specifically. Obviously by your assertions you haven't "got it" quite yet.
What I do get is that you're again going down the road of personal bickering which will lead to getting yet another post locked. You're on your own, unless somebody else wants to poke more holes in your theories and guesses.

Another thing I 'get' is the old expression that you can fool some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of time, etc. What's missing from that saying is the situation of 'not fooling any of the people some of the time' as we have here. There's not one person that has been swayed in the least by any of your arguments. Your one fan arrived with a bunch of preconceived but flawed ideas, so that's a loss for him and not a victory for either side.

If anything, this debate has caused me and possibly others to give the concept of severe service some real thought, and brought forward the possibility that the schedule is as outdated as 3K mile oil changes, 10K spark plug life and twice yearly tune ups.

I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the ASE master tech certification. Possibly I'll have a beer with my local indy who has this and many more accreditations to his name. He's proven to be a pretty smart guy so a chat with him will probably restore my faith.

Have fun.

Old 04-25-2016 | 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Mickey,
Whats the recommended oil change interval on your car?
And what do you do?
I know we are all daft.

Old 04-25-2016 | 02:38 PM
Box
Veteran Member

What I do get is that you're again going down the road of personal bickering which will lead to getting yet another post locked. You're on your own, unless somebody else wants to poke more holes in your theories and guesses.

Another thing I 'get' is the old expression that you can fool some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of time, etc. What's missing from that saying is the situation of 'not fooling any of the people some of the time' as we have here. There's not one person that has been swayed in the least by any of your arguments. Your one fan arrived with a bunch of preconceived but flawed ideas, so that's a loss for him and not a victory for either side.

If anything, this debate has caused me and possibly others to give the concept of severe service some real thought, and brought forward the possibility that the schedule is as outdated as 3K mile oil changes, 10K spark plug life and twice yearly tune ups.

I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the ASE master tech certification. Possibly I'll have a beer with my local indy who has this and many more accreditations to his name. He's proven to be a pretty smart guy so a chat with him will probably restore my faith.

Have fun.
Keep trolling Mikey... Next

Old 04-25-2016 | 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

David,
Interesting that he should mention that you were unable to sway anyone- as if that was your remotely your desire. People see themselves in others.

Old 04-26-2016 | 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments on dust. As far as I can tell almost no-one drives in such conditions but those who do can follow the Arduous / Severe schedule.

I'm rather surprised that such small dust ends up in the oil, though - if it does. You'd expect it would be blown out of the exhaust as it's so tiny (or burned if a burnable compound and then of course go out of the exhaust).

Last edited by JagV8; 04-26-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2016 | 06:24 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Thanks for the comments on dust. As far as I can tell almost no-one drives in such conditions but those who do can follow the Arduous / Severe schedule.

I'm rather surprised that such small dust ends up in the oil, though - if it does. You'd expect it would be blown out of the exhaust as it's so tiny (or burned if a burnable compound and then of course go out of the exhaust).
Here in the US, from coast to coast, dust storms like this are quite common from spring to fall. This shot is one from our area in the Midwest. I guess if you live someplace where there is no atmosphere, or no metro areas, or diesel vehicles, no agriculture... Obviously you've never seen the ominous green grey cloud over the LA basin as you drive into the San Bernardino Mountain range, or Phoenix on any given day. The number of hazy days (high or intense particulate count) in the US outnumber the clear days 3 to 1. Just watch any sunset. Sometimes I have to ask, "what planet are some folks living on?"

Attached Thumbnails Service Intervals..-lubbock-dust-storm-2011.jpg  

Last edited by Box; 04-26-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2016 | 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Perfect question- on multiple levels. Just the 'dust' created by the engine (which you can see at the tailpipe) is only expelled in certain conditions. When engine is nice and hot everywhere and you need consistent RPMs.

Yes oil will burn off a lot, other than the concrete, silica, ceramic dust. But only if you get it hot enough for long enough.

Now we can see the conundrum. In city driving, my commute for instance, bumper to bumper, in 10 miles not only does the oil not get hot enough to 'cook' particulates, the rmps are sporadic and due to congestion the air is fully loaded. In other words a compounding runaway. No wonder some oems need a computer to sort this out. But if you have the means or can change your own oil, you have the computer in your head.

Truth is that engines last a long time even if you never take care of them properly. My information is for fellow perfectionist who want every ounce of performance the car came with 3 to 6 years down the road. I am also in love with this engine, as a matter of amazement and pride, the rest of the collection I care less what oil, gas, and when.

Old 04-27-2016 | 02:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
Here in the US, from coast to coast, dust storms like this are quite common from spring to fall. This shot is one from our area in the Midwest. I guess if you live someplace where there is no atmosphere, or no metro areas, or diesel vehicles, no agriculture... Obviously you've never seen the ominous green grey cloud over the LA basin as you drive into the San Bernardino Mountain range, or Phoenix on any given day. The number of hazy days (high or intense particulate count) in the US outnumber the clear days 3 to 1. Just watch any sunset. Sometimes I have to ask, "what planet are some folks living on?"
We don't get that kind of stuff. I think many other entire countries also don't. I suppose they would really wonder who does. (Of course some people think LA or USA is the whole world. It can shock them to find USA isn't like the rest of the world.)

Those unaffected or hardly ever affected probably do not need Arduous / Severe servicing.

Old 04-27-2016 | 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Now we can see the conundrum. In city driving, my commute for instance, bumper to bumper, in 10 miles not only does the oil not get hot enough to 'cook' particulates, the rmps are sporadic and due to congestion the air is fully loaded.
You sound to have a pain of a commute and if I had that I'd change oil based on it.

However, I and many others do not have that sort of driving. I have probably suffered something like that less than once per year despite doing 8K miles per year.

Here, many jag drivers go a decent distance nearly every trip and the oil etc gets properly hot. It's tough to argue for Arduous / Severe servicing for them.

Old 04-27-2016 | 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RobB
Hi,

My XKR was new in March 2010, coming into my possession in May 2010.
Like all my previous Jags, I've had it in for servicing every 6 months.

But, seeing as it has been faultless, and the interval plan is annual/24km, am I wasting money?

Spoke with Jaguar Australia, who were not helpful. They said 6 monthly service intervals and directed me to their website - which says nothing of the sort.

The last service type A was May 2015, Type B was November 2015 at 70k km.
Now at 78k.

Thoughts please!

Cheers,

Rob
I will save my money and buy a new battery. the more they touch it the more they can mess. I will not do this.

Old 04-27-2016 | 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

You sound to have a pain of a commute and if I had that I'd change oil based on it.

However, I and many others do not have that sort of driving.
You are the fortunate exception not the norm. Here is US, Jaguar's main market, traffic in every metropolis has become insane. Do you remember the scenes from Miami Vice, the car chases, it would be a joke today. 10 lane motorway in Chicago, anytime of the day, expect to 70mph for 1mile and back to zero, every mile. You could build the Eiffel tower from the brake dust on the freeways. not free anymore where most jag owners are likely to live.

incidentally, i live in a small city compared to Chicago, NJ, NY, Huston, and even i can no longer take the highway or any major thoroughfare. Arrg.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-27-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-27-2016 | 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
I will save my money and buy a new battery. the more they touch it the more they can mess. I will not do this.
That's why i change my my own oil. its so easy in this car. you dont have to get under the car. you can wear a white suit and tie.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..