XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Service Opinion Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Q&C -
Jag oil is available nowhre that I know of, other than dealer.

Are you saying that Castrol Edge 5W-30 full Syn does not meet all of Jaguars specifications as detailed in the maunal and is not suitable for his 2008 XK?
Not again................

Here's what the owners manual says:

Engine oil specification
API SM and ILSAC GF-4.
When topping up between
oil changes, make sure that
you use oil that has the
correct quality level (API
service) and viscosity grade.
Note: For maximum fuel economy,
5W-30 oil is recommended.

There's dozens of oils that meet the above spec.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

i made a mistake, I apologize. Very easy mistake to make because we have combined two very different types of cars on one forum .. Mechanically speaking.
I have no clue what oil the 4.2 takes. Nor any of the other fluids.
While a simple oversight it was irresponsible.

But yes the 5.0 oil is only available at the dealership which they will sell you.

Yeah costco will balance tires not bought there. Also swap out air with nitrogen.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Oh no, now the 'N' word.

When will it stop?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Oh no, now the 'N' word.

When will it stop?
I like Nitrogen. I use it almost 80% of the time in my tires.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

I would only use the Jaguar dealer for my 2007 xk. There is no savings in my area by going to an independent shop. They will simply take longer to do the work and wind up sending it over to the dealer anyway for reprogramming on whatever they are trying to fix. Howver for my Porsche 924S I do go an an indie shop as he is the best damn Porsche mechanic on the East Coast.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

where do you find that 80% nitrogen, maybe I'll give that a try...

Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Leeper
where do you find that 80% nitrogen, maybe I'll give that a try...
Says he, taking a deep breath.

I have four nitrogen production stations on each of my cars and two on each motorcycle. Each tire has been carefully manufactured to release the oxygen but retain the nitrogen. In short order the tire is oxygen free- all at no additional cost.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

oh no, another threadjack. where is that flyswatter, they will begin to mate soon.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

But yes the 5.0 oil is only available at the dealership which they will sell you.
The recommendations are different depending on which country you live in.

The US 5.0L Owners manuals say:

SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A.

Jaguar recommends: Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-20.

The later UK ones say:

SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A. If unavailable, SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122 may be used.

Jaguar recommends: Castrol EDGE Professional

That may be because of a TSB issued in 2011 which says:

Castrol SLX professional engine oil to be replaced by Castrol EDGE professional engine oil.

Details of changes:
WSS-M2C925-A Gasoline: Castrol SLX Professional Fuel Saver A1 5W-20 replaced by Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20.

If you don't fancy a trip to the dealer you can buy the oil on EBAY and Amazon.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The recommendations are different depending on which country you live in.

The US 5.0L Owners manuals say:

SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A.

Jaguar recommends: Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-20.

The later UK ones say:

SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A. If unavailable, SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122 may be used.

Jaguar recommends: Castrol EDGE Professional

That may be because of a TSB issued in 2011 which says:

Castrol SLX professional engine oil to be replaced by Castrol EDGE professional engine oil.

Details of changes:
WSS-M2C925-A Gasoline: Castrol SLX Professional Fuel Saver A1 5W-20 replaced by Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20.

If you don't fancy a trip to the dealer you can buy the oil on EBAY and Amazon.
Thats exactly right. There is a reason for the ambiguity from Jaguar. They have changed the oil silently on the LR (same) engines. I have not seen it on Amazon.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
When I buy a car, especially a nice car or a new car, my main goal is to care for it and enjoy it as much as possible. That not only includes washing and waxing it more often than necessary, but also, having regular oil changes, filter changes, using the correct fluids, and having all other service performed when or as required. But the last thing I care about is the Carfax report that the next owner might see. I keep all service receipts in chronological order in a nice folder with dates and mileage clearly visible. But I’m going to stop short of putting clear plastic seat covers on my Jag just so the next owner will have seats that look like they just came from the factory. And unless it’s absolutely necessary, my Jag will never see the inside of a Jaguar dealership. Why?

I’m 67, I’ve owned 36 cars and my personal experiences with car dealerships in general cause me to feel as follows. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, I found almost all car dealerships to be courteous, ethical and competent. The prices they charged for their cars, parts and service were, for the most part, fair and reasonable. Why? Because they were proud of their products, their image, their reputation, and their customer satisfaction, all of which lead to their primary goal … having repeat customers.

However, for the last 25 years or so, my personal experiences have shown that many of these same dealers have abandoned all of that for 1 thing and 1 thing only … more profit. Even if it means using fine print caveats, deceptive marketing, unethical sales tactics, bait and switch programs, outright lying … all the while … delivering mediocre, over-priced and often unnecessary service.

I know … there are still some damn fine dealerships who are not guilty of any of those things, like the Acura dealership that takes care of me and my NSX like I was the dealership owner’s brother.

In the 3½ years I’ve owned my Jag, I’ve only had reason to take it to the dealer once … to make a minor adjustment, which they said they didn’t know how to do. That same Jag dealer had Lothar’s XKR for the better part of 3 months to fix a clicking noise, and although he also bought a brand new XKR-S from them, they didn’t bother to give him a loaner while his R was in their shop! Not to mention failing to return his phone calls.

It’s as if many dealerships now don’t care about customer satisfaction. For all of these reasons, I don’t feel like my Jag dealer has earned my business. And even if he did, his prices would be double what a certified or otherwise fully competent independent Jag tech would charge me. Bottom line, I don’t trust most dealerships and I won’t let them pick my pocket.

OK Leeper, here’s another great chance for you to show the forum what a terrible person I am for having my personal opinion and what a damn fine guy you are (1) because your opinion is different … and of course … (2) unlike mine, your opinion is correct!

I'm late to the thread, but here is my 2 cents.... First of all, I absolutely agree. And, this isn't just happening in the automotive industry, but in industry as a whole. It seems that pride, courtesy and customer service is no longer prevalent and THE driving factor is greed and that all encompassing quarterly report. I only take my XKR to the dealer in Scottsdale because it's still under warranty. I've been researching and checking out Jag mechanics knowing that once it expires, I won't go back to the dealer again. And I absolutely won't buy a car from them. Both my STR and my XKR were purchased in GA...at Jaguar Northpoint. Maybe its me, but I think if I'm going to spend money at your business, especially buying a Jag as they are not cheap, then I deserve to be treated with a little courtesy. I'm an easy going guy, but I have absolutely nothing good to say about Jaguar in Scottsdale. As you can see, they are my least favorite. But getting back on topic, except for maybe having your service reported to carfax, there is no real benefit to going to a dealer for service. I'd prefer to have a car i can depend on than one with a documented service record....a lot of service records. Dealers expect us to throw money at a problem rather than them doing an A+ job diagnosing the issue. Another gripe with dealers I have, or at least with Jaguar Scottsdale is, they'll quickly diagnose a problem, charge you an arm, leg and your first born...then give you this type of "well maybe you can't afford the car," type attitude when you question their diagnosis. I conceded once and paid Jaguar Scottsdale close to 2k for a coil and spark plug replacement on my STR only to have the car go into limp home mode before I made it home!!! I took it back to them and after a week, they told me I needed to replace the fuel injectors, all 8, at a cost of 5k!!! I came to this forum with the codes and took it to Brakemasters of all places...who confirmed it was a bad cat. Got that replaced and haven't had that problem since.....almost 6 years now!!! So there...I agree...Most dealerships are rip off artists skilled it taking every dime they can from unsuspecting customers or those with a lack of knowledge.