XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

"service required" message

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Though a few of us seem to be at odds with oil changing frequency I do not think anyone here would disagree that driving a car only once a month for 10-20 miles as you say makes it fall into the "severe condition" category. That is not long enough for it to reach and maintain operating temperature long enough to burn off any possible condensation within your engine so based upon that you should go in for more frequent changes. Also know that you need not use the dealer to get your oil or brake fluids done in the future... the price you were quoted is very fair but should they look to extract more $$$ a good indi may save you some money for needed servicing. That type of limited usage where you drive only short trips and use it only occasionally is perhaps the most damaging type of usage to any engine as it should always get the chance to burn off water vapor to curb the acid build-ups which can occur.

Last edited by Leeper; 05-07-2016 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
No. Most modern cars have an electronic function monitoring engine operation, temperature, speed, elapsed time, mileage etc, all to calculate engine oil life. The mileage interval will vary longer or shorter based on environment and driving style or as in your case, simply run out of time.

SWMBO's car calculates that our environment and her driving style qualifies her for more than the BMW recommended standard interval.

I'd have the car serviced soon if indeed it's been longer that Jag recommends. Possibly someone can confirm whether it's a 1 year or 2 year interval. Most manufacturers state a 2 year interval when synthetics are used.
Odd that you are dispensing advice without yourself knowing the service interval. Equally ridiculous is you stating most manufacturers state 2 year oil intervals- SHOW ME. Not to mention Bocatrip does not have a car made by most manufacturers. He has an expensive investment worth 3 times that of an average car. And he decidedly has a Jaguar supercar.

Why do you cloud up these forums without actually having the car, the engine, nor the knowledge of what the manufacturers recommends. Have you seen anything as absurd?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

From my jagwrangler one touch convertible instructions that I just finished installing minutes ago:

'Service Required' Message appears on dashboard (2009+ models in the UK, 2010+ models
elsewhere):
-This service reminder message sometimes appears as a result of the battery disconnect. Reset
it as follows:
1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (before the ignition is on).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (do not start the engine)
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch (1sec)
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch (within 1sec).
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch. (within 1sec)
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message center should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

The following 3 users liked this post by apost8n8:
bocatrip (05-07-2016), luv2fly (07-10-2016), SickRob (06-18-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Who needs Google????? I have apost8n8!!!! Thanks very much for your research. I will still have Jaguar reset the service light during my oil change. FYI...........After first purchasing my car 2 years ago, when I took the car to Jaguar, the shop foreman played with some buttons and like magic every system in my car appeared on the nav screen with codes, oks and other lingo I didn't understand. He was scrolling for what seemed to be forever checking my car's various diagnostics. He told me how I could do it, but I wouldn't know what I was looking for and it was also not a good idea to do. (probably because he was not supposed to be showing me).So there are some tricks that some Jaguar techs know that go way further into the internals of our car's systems.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Odd that you are dispensing advice without yourself knowing the service interval. Equally ridiculous is you stating most manufacturers state 2 year oil intervals- SHOW ME. Not to mention Bocatrip does not have a car made by most manufacturers. He has an expensive investment worth 3 times that of an average car. And he decidedly has a Jaguar supercar.

Why do you cloud up these forums without actually having the car, the engine, nor the knowledge of what the manufacturers recommends. Have you seen anything as absurd?
Why do you cloud every discussion with attempts to control who responds and who in your view should not?

The post above was to clarify the manner in which oil life is calculated. The follow-on comment about time interval is an attempt to understand why the OPs car went two years elapsed time before giving him a message. It's possible that the OP had his car serviced a year ago and has forgotten.

If the practices and problems of other OEMs are not 'allowable' under your rules- then please stop mentioning them or providing links to their discussion boards in your own posts. Can't have it both ways.

richzak (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Lets stick to the subject. Your ADVICE that "Most manufacturers recommend a 2 year oil change interval" is blatantly false and dangerous. Most importantly it WILL void his warranty. I am in awe that you do this and then turn the discussion into some personal misgiving on my part. i.e. I am trying to control what you say. No I am trying to warn of the erroneous suggestions.

To those interested in facts. Toyota and BMW have reduced thier intervals. BMW tried the 2 year oil change and deemed it was wrong and have gone to 1 year or less.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Even if you did not put the oil in the car, it only has a shelf-life of 12 months once exposed to air.

Really? Exposure to air compromises engine oil?

What happens on the 366th day?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Oil does not come in any sort of packaging that excludes exposure to air in the first place. The concept that it goes bad in a closed bottle is absurd.

Doug (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers
DD
In a word: Rancidification.

In a sentence: Have you see the date stamp on the bottle and the seal.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Really?

How does one tell if motor oil has gone rancid?

Sure. Big deal. Heck, everything you buy has a date stamp. That doesn't mean the shelf life is limited to 12 months after the bottle has been opened.

I just looked at several bottles of engine oil and cannot find even a single mention of shelf life or expirations date ...and certainly no warnings about using oil within 12 months after opening or degradation after opening, or anything at all along those lines. Whatever *might* happen doesn't seem to worry oil vendors enough to make any disclosures about it.

Oh, I can see where an unsealed bottle of engine oil might suffer after *many years* of storage. Maybe the additives would separate from the base oil or some such. Or, of course, contamination from being stored un-sealed.

In the day-to-day real world I'm inclined to say it's a non-issue but, hey, we all chose what to worry about

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Most importantly it WILL void his warranty.

Don't be so sure. That's a rather melodramatic assertion.

Manufacturers are generally reluctant to outright void a warranty. They don't like to 'go there'. Bad mojo. In my 30 years of USA dealer experience I've seen it only a few times....and only when the abuse or neglect has been very blatant and severe....or the car was in a flood or the like.

A missed oil change on a very low usage car would probably not qualify. Not that it couldn't, in the strictest technical sense, but it probably wouldn't. If Jaguar really wanted to be a stinker over an oil change, the worst result would probably be denied warranty coverage for an engine repair IF an engine problem develops, not an outright voided warranty....as you assert.

Cheers
DD

Cliff5.0SC (05-10-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Don't be so sure. That's a rather melodramatic assertion.

Manufacturers are generally reluctant to outright void a warranty. They don't like to 'go there'. Bad mojo. In my 30 years of USA dealer experience I've seen it only a few times....and only when the abuse or neglect has been very blatant and severe....or the car was in a flood or the like.

A missed oil change on a very low usage car would probably not qualify. Not that it couldn't, in the strictest technical sense, but it probably wouldn't. If Jaguar really wanted to be a stinker over an oil change, the worst result would probably be denied warranty coverage for an engine repair IF an engine problem develops, not an outright voided warranty....as you assert.

Cheers
DD
Thank you for the reassurance Sir. I am sure in arbitration people will be able to cite the word of a stranger on the internet over Jaguars written instructions.

Yes oil has an expiration date. Mobil 1 says 5years on a sealed bottle.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Because the USA uses miles, and for your XK150, it is 1 year/15,000 Miles. I remember when I was at the dealer in Houston, when the Castrol rep came in to talk to us about how they had a special oil to use strictly for the new 5.0L V8's when they came out. I'm sure by now you can purchase this oil outside of the dealer, but I could be wrong. The oils today are better than they were 10 years ago, however nothing can hurt if you still want to change the oil earlier than the recommended interval. Since I am in New Zealand now, they use Petrol and Diesel in this market, and some of the 2016 Diesels are 2 year interval service.

In regards to the sensor, we as techs are able to pull it up on Datalogger through the SDD and check the health of the oil, so it is able to be checked, upon request, but not really necessary. Just stick to what the recommended interval is, or you can change it earlier, up to you, and you should be fine.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Can I explain the science of why people who dont have a 5.0 tend to think that those who do are worry-wots and obsessively cautious. The reason is that if you passionately own a 5.0 the odds are that you have read most of the forums and the nightmares. Here is one that a non-owner would have missed. An engine was denied warranty for not adhering strictly to recommendations.
Restricted Power Warning Light

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Can I explain the science of why people who dont have a 5.0 tend to think that those who do are worry-wots and obsessively cautious. The reason is that if you passionately own a 5.0 the odds are that you have read most of the forums and the nightmares. Here is one that a non-owner would have missed. An engine was denied warranty for not adhering strictly to recommendations.
Restricted Power Warning Light

Well, to be accurate, the car was already out of warranty. It appears that what was denied was 'goodwill assistance'.

If I understand the postings it appears that the is that using 5/30 oil instead of 5/20 oil caused the timing to jump (?).

Anyhow, denying goodwill assistance on an out-of-warranty car is not quite the same as asserting that the warranty WILL be voided on a car with 8500 miles.

You can worry and be as cautious as you like but absolute assertions of what WILL happen in the future are always questionable in my book.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the reassurance Sir. I am sure in arbitration people will be able to cite the word of a stranger on the internet over Jaguars written instructions.

Yes oil has an expiration date. Mobil 1 says 5years on a sealed bottle.

You're more than welcome

I'm not sure how many actual warranty/lemon law arbitrations you have personally been involved in. I've been involved in several. It's hard to predict the attitude of any given arbitrator but, in my experience, most look for an element of 'reasonableness' to each side of the story.

Unlike you I won't foolishly make an absolute, authoritative assertion of what will or won't occur in the future. However, I strongly suspect that a voided warranty, as you have asserted, would be extremely unlikely in the scenario being discussed in this thread. Frankly, even denial of an otherwise warrantable engine repair is unlikely, IMHO, given the age and mileage of the car. The arbitrator would probably ask the manufacturer for some sort of evidence that the oil change interval was the actual cause of the failure.

You have chastised another about 'erroneous suggestions'. Well, in my opinion, good advice and suggestions includes avoiding alarmist assertions which conclude that the worst case scenario (voiding the warranty, in this case) is the ONLY possible outcome.

But, that's just my two cents.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Well 'rancidification' is indeed a perfectly cromulant word, but it does not apply to non-organic materials like petrochemicals. Probably what you meant in a word, is oxidation. This is a real concern with oil exposed to heat and moisture and contamination typical of actual engine operation. The same cannot be said of a opened but resealed container of oil sitting on a garage shelf. Oxidation rate under those conditions is about zero.

For fun, I went to my own garage and looked at the 10 different containers sitting on the shelf. These are a wide variety of types used for the various summer and winter toys I get to play with. Out of all these bottles, almost all of which are international leading brands, only two had dates or date codes on them which represented the date they were packaged. These two were no-name brand from the local tractor supply outlet.

Not one mentioned an expiry date. Even the Mobil 1 used in the generator.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

You're more than welcome

I'm not sure how many actual warranty/lemon law arbitrations you have personally been involved in. I've been involved in several. It's hard to predict the attitude of any given arbitrator but, in my experience, most look for an element of 'reasonableness' to each side of the story.

Unlike you I won't foolishly make an absolute, authoritative assertion of what will or won't occur in the future. However, I strongly suspect that a voided warranty, as you have asserted, would be extremely unlikely in the scenario being discussed in this thread. Frankly, even denial of an otherwise warrantable engine repair is unlikely, IMHO, given the age and mileage of the car. The arbitrator would probably ask the manufacturer for some sort of evidence that the oil change interval was the actual cause of the failure.

You have chastised another about 'erroneous suggestions'. Well, in my opinion, good advice and suggestions includes avoiding alarmist assertions which conclude that the worst case scenario (voiding the warranty, in this case) is the ONLY possible outcome.

But, that's just my two cents.

Cheers
DD
What I wrote is Verbatim what the owners manual says.
What you wrote is more at home in a verbose romance novel.
Can you imagine an owners manual stating your claim?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
resealed container of oil sitting on a garage shelf. Oxidation rate under those conditions is about zero.
They must be morons at Mobil 1. Your logic would make sense to you. What a joke.
https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...mobil-1-quarts

Old 05-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

That link does not comment on oxidation rate or indeed give any reasons. Also "recommend" is, to be nice, weak. They want to sell oil!

Quick Reply: "service required" message