XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sharing a cold air intake experience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Sharing a cold air intake experience...

I was recently asked to install a Mina supercharger pulley and cold air intake set=up on a 2008 XKR. The pully went on just fine. Ther cold air kit had no instruction, other than a piece of masking tape with "pass" on one mount bracket. Ok. I've been doing this stuff for 37 years. Should be a no-brainer; and it was. The factory system is full of bends and noise baffles, but does pick up air high in the frontal area behind the grille. It has a very long tract. With the Mina kit, I was a bit concerned at the possibility of the low-mounted filters getting soaked in any kind of rain or when driving in an area that may have running water. Yes, people in Arizona do that kind of thing! Anyway, once installed, the engine started very roughly, balked on accel, and set a check engine light almost immediately. Misfires. After clearing the codes, I rechecked everything, and found it all looked good. So, thinking I may have inadvertantly reverse installed the MAF sensors, I turned the tubes around. Even worse. Confirming that I was correct in the first place, I turned them around once again and rechecked the mounting of all parts and clamps. The engine still ran poorly; surging at idle and acting lean on acceleration. It was awful. I put in a call to Mina, and they replied very quickly. The tech suggested rechecking for air leaks, etc. And he also suggested that I may have disturbed something underhood when performing the pulley swap. So, I checked it over once again. All good. I then removed the cold air set up, and re-installed the factory air boxes, and the car ran perfectly. I boxed the stuff up, and put it in the owners car. I'm not bashing Mina here, but has anyone else had this issue? I truly don't believe I missed anything.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I purchased a Supercharger Pulley and ECU reflash from EcuTG. I spoke with the owner (Jags) about purchasing a Cold Air Intake system (from Mina or other) and he told me to stay away from it. Apparently the OEM system in the XKR is good enough to be left alone and our MAFS are sensitive to changes. He told me if I put one in I would lose power, the car could run roughly and would certainly give me check engine lights all the time. For more air intake, he told me to get K&N drop in filters (or other brand) instead. Good advice I guess...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by djgold
I purchased a Supercharger Pulley and ECU reflash from EcuTG. I spoke with the owner (Jags) about purchasing a Cold Air Intake system (from Mina or other) and he told me to stay away from it. Apparently the OEM system in the XKR is good enough to be left alone and our MAFS are sensitive to changes. He told me if I put one in I would lose power, the car could run roughly and would certainly give me check engine lights all the time. For more air intake, he told me to get K&N drop in filters (or other brand) instead. Good advice I guess...
Could you describe the before and after feeling/results with the pulley and ECU reflash?

Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I bought a Mina intake for an XK (just one air filter) and had the very same problems.
I fixed it by tossing the Mina and constructing my own from readily-available (cheap parts).
The problem with the Mina is the air seal from the Mina-MAF mount. Basically, the Mina seal is not airtight like the OEM seal. You could make it airtight by wrapping duct tape over the sealing point downstream from the MAF.
My mod uses the OEM MAF and then I attached tubing similar to the the Mina topping it off with a K&N #1040 air filter, which is the largest air filter I could find. The Mina air filter is small and a no-name brand.
I bought my parts from www.airflow.com = a short section of 4" tubing and a "tight" 90 degree 4" bend (note they have wide radius bends also, but you need a tight). Held everything in place using the very simple Mina strap. Have 7k miles on this mod with no worries. Sound is about the same as stock. I live in OR and do not worry a bit about water injestion, just stay out of deep puddles.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Could you describe the before and after feeling/results with the pulley and ECU reflash?
I didn't have much chance to drive the car without the upgrade (maybe 1-2 months) so it's hard to say. Seems faster and throttle response is incredible...

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (06-05-2013)