XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Shopping for wheels for an XK is tough.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017 | 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
Actually the original forged Vortex wheels were for the 2007-2009 MYs with the proper offsets. They reintroduced them for the later years with the updated offsets. I believe Jaguar switched manufacturers for the new version as well as going to a cast wheel.
jahummer,

I believe you're right about the early Vortex wheels being forged and the later ones being cast. But you're mistaken if you believe that Vortex wheels were available in the US for 2007-2009 4.2L models. Yes, they will fit 4.2L US models equipped with the Alcon Brake Package, but they're rarer than hen's teeth and very expensive if you can find them on eBay.uk. I know; they're my favorite OEM design and I've been looking to buy a set of the original forged Vortex wheels for a long time.

Vortex wheels were introduced on the one-year-only 2008 4.2L XKR-S, which was sold only in Europe. Note that European models began with the 2006 model year, so the 2008 XKR-S was the last year for the 4.2L engine. Vortex wheels were not available for 2007-2009 North American models and, as you noted, they became available in North America with the 5.0L models. Those later Vortex wheels won't fit the 4.2L models because the rear offset is different due to the 5.0L models having the new electronic limited slip differential.

See: Geneva 2008: Faster, limited, Euro-only Jaguar XKR-S unveiled - Autoblog

Stuart

Old 07-26-2017 | 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Does Jaguar offer forged wheels as OEM? Never check to see if they are cast or forged...
To the best of my knowledge, only two Jaguar XK models came from the factory with forged wheels - the Europe-only 4.2L 2008 XKR-S and the 5.0L 2013/14 XKRS-GT.

Old 07-27-2017 | 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
jahummer,

I believe you're right about the early Vortex wheels being forged and the later ones being cast. But you're mistaken if you believe that Vortex wheels were available in the US for 2007-2009 4.2L models. Yes, they will fit 4.2L US models equipped with the Alcon Brake Package, but they're rarer than hen's teeth and very expensive if you can find them on eBay.uk.
Stuart
Sorry if I was not clear but I don't believe I said they came on US models. They were also all silver or silver and grey 2-tone and not black with machined openings as the later versions were. You are right about them being rare but I have seen them come up from time to time on the second hand market. If you search the part numbers on eBay and google a few available sources do come up. I believe they weigh around 10kg apiece.

And yes as I mentioned in the previous post the Vortex wheels and the GT wheels were the only ones forged.

Old 07-27-2017 | 12:25 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Easy when you got the bread
Those HRE P series would look great on a current generation 911, either the P101 (You pictured) or the P103.

For an Aston Martin or Porsche, HRE would be an easy choice.

Old 07-27-2017 | 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

If one is trying to look good, they have to step up even more. Nothing like a 21 PUR. It adds much needed 2to1 proportionality to the car and strut our massive rotors.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017 | 01:54 PM
|
Veteran Member

I think for a non LED XK 19" is the max that looks good. For an early XKR 20" works as well.

You want to match the look to what your specific car has. On an XKR, the wheels are in competition with additional vents placed through the car, it can support both a larger wheel size and a busier design.

My 4.2XK needs a simpler setup. Unless I lived in Miami, then I'd tint the windows, and go with multi tone 20" or 21". Location and background are important in addition to the car itself.

I try to picture the wheels I'm looking for in the environments in which I walk up to the car, I also contemplate both 4.2XK and 4.2XKR, as I might move to a non direct injected XKR in future years.

Wheels that would look good on a XKR-S, might not be the right thing for the plainer 4.2XK, and vice versa.

From a style standpoint, I like to have some webbing at the base of the spokes, which those 21 Pur's do not.

Old 07-27-2017 | 03:09 PM

I've spent too much time looking at wheels myself. I've given up.

I did a drop and now waiting to install my spacers + powdercoat. My 2012 has the 19s and it already looks better.

Old 07-27-2017 | 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

While you are somewhat right about 'pedestrian perception' of putting expensive rimz on an old used car- that condescension exists even if you do nothing. At least among shallow folk in the geography you describe. To the discerning eye however (the type of folks you want to impress) your eye for style, geometry and ability to defy convention, is the only thing that can matter.

For our modern times, the XK is a largish car. 20inch wheels somewhat offsets that and gives it balance. 21 or 22 is closer to the Rolls Royce ideal of 2 to 1. 2x body height to wheels, and 2x body length to combined diameter of wheels.

Anyway, large wheels are a clever way to make a car look smaller. My car can definitely pull it off, even with 20inch stock wheels, there isnt even one fingers clearance between the wheel and caliper. The rotors and calipers are damn near size of the wheel opening. As compared to the gutless wonders that have 12ich rotors and 20inch wheels. Yes that you want to avoid.

BTW, the the Fad of playing 'understated' has been so b@stardized by the Sheep, that its now become laughably counterproductive. Poor people cant be understated- its an absolute contradiction. Moreover, its become a convenient excuse for the uncultured. They go out and lease a $90k car to blend in; hilarious on multiple levels.

When I was younger, understated meant there was far more beneath the surface. Today it means folks spending more money than they have and there is no more than meets the eye. A $80k limited edition suburban, is it something even better beneath the makeup? no its a cheaper truck. LOL. Now, in the old days, the equivalent of $50k on a 3/4 ton suburban, was there something more underneath, hell yeah, it was a workhorse, practically a commercial truck that would outlive you.

Old 07-27-2017 | 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

I am just not a fan of aftermarket wheels. I never find them to be better looking than what is offered by manufacturer.

Queen and Country (07-27-2017)
Old 07-28-2017 | 02:47 PM
|
Veteran Member

While you are somewhat right about 'pedestrian perception' of putting expensive rimz on an old used car- that condescension exists even if you do nothing. At least among shallow folk in the geography you describe. To the discerning eye however (the type of folks you want to impress) your eye for style, geometry and ability to defy convention, is the only thing that can matter.
Last time I checked the 16" Fuch wheels on my 944 are worth more than the 944 without the Fuch wheels.

I was originally setting out to get polished aluminum, which is an above average, or often expensive wheel. I just haven't found one I liked. Matt or Satin black is now the likely result.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-28-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2017 | 02:59 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Slammerdoc
Ironically I just replaced my 2010 wheels with rims from a 2012 XJL that really bring a much nicer look. To me, the stock rims have too many spokes that look more at home on a sedan. Fit like a glove and used the same tires I had on my old rims. And all for the low cost of $350 off of Craig's List!
Your new wheels are much nicer to my eye. Your old wheels appear to be convening the spokes on a point like a pinwheel. The new ones have a softer life like flow. My existing 10 spokes are different from yours, and my searching for wheels has caused me to like them more than I did prior. The Jaguar wheels simply fit the car better than *most* aftermarket choices.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-28-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Tracee (02-23-2023)
Old 07-28-2017 | 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

There is little else worth less than a 944.

Totally agree with Jaguar wheels befitting Jaguar. And the Fuch wheels befitting 911.
There is a good reason for this, they are designed by car designers- as opposed to tattoo artist.

Look what can be done to a car when you take the design process with cost no object. This car looks like a million bucks in person. The wheels were done at my friend's factory where we manufacture. In this instance stock wheels do nothing for the car. Key is design.

Old 07-28-2017 | 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

example of tattoo artist design- same car!

Last edited by Queen and Country; 07-28-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2017 | 08:14 AM

If one is trying to look good, they have to step up even more. Nothing like a 21 PUR. It adds much needed 2to1 proportionality to the car and strut our massive rotors.

+1 for the PUR wheels on that F-Type however getting aftermarket wheels that suit the style, offset, bolt pattern, and ride height of the car without rubbing is a difficult task... I think it can also be done with 20" wheels on the XKR too. Take a look at the image in this link, (note I dont like these wheels) but they have got the ratio, offset, ride height etc well suited to the car

and here is the same car with their mayfair alloys...
Image2
Image3

I'm currently considering these mayfair wheels myself although I'm also considering suspension since I believe that car has been lowered either aftermarket or from factory (its sporting the XK60 bodykit)...

Old 08-04-2017 | 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Nico
and here is the same car with their mayfair alloys...
Image2
Image3
That design is becoming of an XK. Looks like Jaguar would've considered such a design themselves.

Old 08-04-2017 | 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Nico
+1 for the PUR wheels on that F-Type
I'm currently considering these mayfair wheels myself although I'm also considering suspension since I believe that car has been lowered either aftermarket or from factory (its sporting the XK60 bodykit)...
2 things about the mayfair- note how they dont have any depth- I dont mean offset, I mean what the eye sees is just the surface- its a black hole beyond that. On the PUR wheels one can see forever. Its 3-dimensional.

Also they have maintained the aeronautical motif of the xkr (prop)

I have checked with PUR since I may be getting 8 wheels from them- and happen to somewhat be in their trade (i.e. our shops make wheels too- so they cant bs us) they have assured me that the fitment is perfect no rub or modifications necessary- very important for me- the only reason to have a car like the XK is that I am done with all the 'rigging' and discomforts of poor fit and finish. See that car above I posted- its about $300k, and he doesnt have the fit and finish of the XK- nor the safety, and one has to ask what's the point. Same whith wheels, why get wheels that rub- only to look good to other people; how shallow do you have to be.

BTW the purs are 8.5k. But we can get them wholesale. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Old 08-04-2017 | 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
That design is becoming of an XK. Looks like Jaguar would've considered such a design themselves.
yeah I quite like it, more "enhanced through concave" than modified through aftermarket...

Old 08-08-2017 | 04:57 PM

2 things about the mayfair- note how they dont have any depth- I dont mean offset, I mean what the eye sees is just the surface- its a black hole beyond that. On the PUR wheels one can see forever. Its 3-dimensional.

Also they have maintained the aeronautical motif of the xkr (prop)

I have checked with PUR since I may be getting 8 wheels from them- and happen to somewhat be in their trade (i.e. our shops make wheels too- so they cant bs us) they have assured me that the fitment is perfect no rub or modifications necessary- very important for me- the only reason to have a car like the XK is that I am done with all the 'rigging' and discomforts of poor fit and finish. See that car above I posted- its about $300k, and he doesnt have the fit and finish of the XK- nor the safety, and one has to ask what's the point. Same whith wheels, why get wheels that rub- only to look good to other people; how shallow do you have to be.

BTW the purs are 8.5k. But we can get them wholesale. If anyone else is interested let me know.

yeah I agree with your comment on the depth of the Mayfair, they are cut/ polished edges and the rest of the wheel is a darker shade so it only shows the deep dish of the rim. I love the PUR 100% more and there are a ton of other wheels I like better all about 4K upwards... if my XKR was new I'd be considering wheels like that but for what it is the sub £1000 mayfair wheels do a good job of filling the arches and looking less like an "off the shelf" type momo or wolfrace wheel. That said I really like the AXE wheels but they are difficult to know if they will suite the curves of the XK. I'd like to see the PUR wheels on 20's on an XK see if they still suit. The split 5 spoke design has been my choice of wheel for years.

Old 08-08-2017 | 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Mr. Nico
I raised this question in a thread of its own but had difficulty getting folks to remain focused and answer my query

I feel the 22" size is the correct size and proportion for a car as large as ours.
Here is a picture, ignore the wheel style, I realize its not easy to do. Just look to see if you agree with the proportions.

Old 08-08-2017 | 06:35 PM
|
Veteran Member

I won't deny your point, but I think it could be better achieved with a white XKR running matte black 19's or 20's. This would give the proportion of the entire wheel and tire together, rather than separate.

If you make roughly matched finishes between the wheel and tire, and this finish doesn't match the car, you'll achieve the same result.

A matte black or satin black would even work on your gloss black XKR. Just keep your sidewalls detailed so the finish of the wheel and tire match. No need for 22's or up.

Attached Thumbnails Shopping for wheels for an XK is tough.-07-_dsc7650.jpg  

Last edited by Tervuren; 08-08-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Shopping for wheels for an XK is tough.