XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Should oil change only be done by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should oil change only be done by dealer?

Should oil change only be done by dealer? Acquired a 2007 XK convertible last year. It will be ready for an oil change in a few months. Would it be OK to go to an oil change place and have them put in Mobil 1 or fully synthetic Castrol, or do I really need to go to the dealer for special Jaguar oil? Thanks

Old 04-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by BabydriverX
Should oil change only be done by dealer? Acquired a 2007 XK convertible last year. It will be ready for an oil change in a few months. Would it be OK to go to an oil change place and have them put in Mobil 1 or fully synthetic Castrol, or do I really need to go to the dealer for special Jaguar oil? Thanks
No magic, of course you can change your own oil. Been changing it myself on my 07 XK convertible since I bought it 8 years ago.
Been using Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 0W-40.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

There is no such thing as "special Jaguar oil", JLR do not make engine oil.
They recommend (not the same as specify) certain Castrol oils, mainly Castrol Edge Professional, purely because they made a deal with Castrol many years ago, but there is no need at all to use Castrol oil in fact I have never used Castrol in my XFS, XFR or F-Type and have never had an engine oil related problem.
However it is important to use the specified/correct viscosity oil which varies from engine to engine and even varies over time for the same engine.
For example the AJ133 5.0 V8 when it first came out in 2009 had 5W-30 specified, then a few years later (2012?) it changed to 5W-20 then a few years after that (2014?) it changed again to 0W-20.
So no need at all to use "special Jaguar oil" and no need at all to have a JLR dealership change the oil, any oil change shop or mechanic can do it.
Best of all is to DIY as that way you know it has been done right and you can buy the oil yourself at a fraction of the price a JLR dealership would charge, I have changed the oil myself from day one on my XFS, XFR and F-Type with zero problems.
The only good reason to have a JLR dealership do an oil change is to preserve the new car or extended warranty and even then it doesn't have to be a JLR dealership any qualified workshop will do.

The following users liked this post:
XKRAU (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

"Oh noOh no.......................
Not again............................................. .................................................. ........."
(Thanks, CleverName!)

See:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/4-2l-motor-oil-do-you-use-224621/

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (04-05-2022), ralphwg (04-08-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 03:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums BabydriverX,

You have arrived with the most regularly asked question on our forums. More threads and posts dedicated to this than any other topic.

1. an oil change does NOT have to be done by a Jaguar Dealer. Many of us do our own.
2. the important factor is SPECIFICATION. Although JLR recommend Castrol EDGE Professional EC5 0W-20, oil meeting specification STJLR.03.5006 is what matters.

When your XK was built, the recomendation was 5W-20 oil and this is what appears in the original Owner's Handbook. Here is the JLR specification notification for the adoption of 0W-20 oil:

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

VroomForTwo (04-11-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 05:06 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

Well, you could expect that this thread would only go one way.
But consider this: When I take my car to the dealer, they check for thrown codes, check the entire driveline and suspension, wash and vacuum (if I want it.) and any other menial task they or I identify.
All for the privilege of a few dollars, not having to get dirty and enjoying a cup of coffee with the techs and the folks in the parts department.
In fact, they are only very marginally more expensive then the quick oil change shops. (and I won’t find a no-name filter on the car)
That’s fine by me.

Stuart S (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 11:34 AM
Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Whenever I buy a used car, my first priority is to change the engine oil. You don't know what the previous owner(s) had in there or when it was last changed. Then stay on a schedule.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
But consider this: When I take my car to the dealer, they check for thrown codes, check the entire driveline and suspension, wash and vacuum (if I want it.) and any other menial task they or I identify.
All for the privilege of a few dollars, not having to get dirty and enjoying a cup of coffee with the techs and the folks in the parts department.
In fact, they are only very marginally more expensive then the quick oil change shops. (and I won’t find a no-name filter on the car)
That’s fine by me.
You describe the latter part of the life cycle of the Shade Tree Mechanic. Gearheads like us get hooked before High School, and soon learn how to work on our cars. For decades, we endure the indignities of skinned knuckles, greasy hands, and claustrophobia while trapped on a creeper under our pride and joy. We do it because we're poor, physically fit, and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment.

Fast forward to post-retirement, when we're no longer poor, have aches and pains in places we never knew existed, and don't want to get skinned knuckles, greasy, and get dirty. But we still have the same pride and joy in our ride. Once a year at the Dealer for routine maintenance is worth the cost to me at this stage of the game.

Of course, I still work on my cars. But I don't have to if I don't want to.

I'm sure that I am not alone.

The following 6 users liked this post by Stuart S:
carealtor (04-06-2022), CurtJ (04-06-2022), guy (04-05-2022), Hans Amstein (04-09-2022), Nickel (04-09-2022), XKRAU (04-05-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2022, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums BabydriverX,

You have arrived with the most regularly asked question on our forums. More threads and posts dedicated to this than any other topic.

1. an oil change does NOT have to be done by a Jaguar Dealer. Many of us do our own.
2. the important factor is SPECIFICATION. Although JLR recommend Castrol EDGE Professional EC5 0W-20, oil meeting specification STJLR.03.5006 is what matters.

When your XK was built, the recomendation was 5W-20 oil and this is what appears in the original Owner's Handbook. Here is the JLR specification notification for the adoption of 0W-20 oil:

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Thanks for posting @GGG and I curse JLR for the confusion it causes me. FWIW, 5W30 was the original recommendation in the 07 owners manual but no longer relevant? This document excludes NA, Canada and MENA. I don't understand why the document includes some markets and not others. Are we not all driving the the AJ126 or AJ133? Note it's effective in Europe (includes UK) April 2018, then "all other markets" July of 2018. Bt since it excludes NA etc, then all other markets remain excluded no? It makes no sense to me why it's only applicable in some markets. I'm not looking to start another oil debate. I'm trying to understand the document itself.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-05-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
That’s fine by me.
Originally Posted by Stuart S
You describe the latter part of the life cycle of the Shade Tree Mechanic. Gearheads like us get hooked before High School, and soon learn how to work on our cars. For decades, we endure the indignities of skinned knuckles, greasy hands, and claustrophobia while trapped on a creeper under our pride and joy. We do it because we're poor, physically fit, and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment.

Fast forward to post-retirement, when we're no longer poor, have aches and pains in places we never knew existed, and don't want to get skinned knuckles, greasy, and get dirty. But we still have the same pride and joy in our ride. Once a year at the Dealer for routine maintenance is worth the cost to me at this stage of the game.

Of course, I still work on my cars. But I don't have to if I don't want to.

I'm sure that I am not alone.
I am with you guys. Change my oil at the dealer is no problem for me. I don't want to do it myself and don't trust the quickie guys with my Jag. Even my Grand Cherokee goes to the local Jeep dealer which is competitive with the quick change joint.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
..... I curse JLR for the confusion it causes me. FWIW, 5W30 was the original recommendation in the 07 owners manual but no longer relevant? This document excludes NA, Canada and MENA. I don't understand why the document includes some markets and not others. Are we not all driving the the AJ126 or AJ133? Note it's effective in Europe (includes UK) April 2018, then "all other markets" July of 2018. Bt since it excludes NA etc, then all other markets remain excluded no? It makes no sense to me why it's only applicable in some markets. I'm not looking to start another oil debate. I'm trying to understand the document itself.
Sean,

The original 5W-20 recommendation was superseded in later Owner's Handbooks. I got a new XK Handbook from Elanders (JLR's printers) in 2019 and the specification had been updated to 0W-20.

I'm not entering the oil debate either. I use Castrol EDGE Professional EC5 0W-20 specification STJLR.03.5006 with OE filter and a fresh drain plug and won't be varying this approach unless the specification is revised again.

When I was checking F-PACE oil recommendation, I'm sure I read the Jaguar North America equivalent of this document but didn't think to copy it.

My reading of the Service Compliance Notification is OW-20 to specification STJLR.03.5006 was standardised for the Europe market in April 2018 but not for Canada, USA and MENA (Middle East & North Africa market). The recommendation then extended to all other markets in July 2018 and this must include Canada, USA and MENA. The delay was probably for no other reason than to allow dealers to run down existing stocks of 5W-20. There had been a Jaguar North America TSB about cold weather starting issues in 2016 (not absolutely sure of the date) which recommended a switch to 0W-20 as a resolution.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Sean W (04-06-2022), Ter11 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Funny enough with exactly the same bearing tolerances the 4.3 / 4.7 Aston Martin V8 recommends 10w-60 although most of not tracking tend to use a 10w-40 or 5w-40 .

The Lincoln 3.9l once again same bearing tolerances recommends 5w-30 and 5w-40 .

Old 04-05-2022, 07:54 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

"Oh noOh no.......................
Not again............................................. .................................................. ........."
(Thanks, CleverName!)

No ****. Here comes another 40 page long echo chamber of speculation that results in absolutely ****all for value.

Last edited by Mandrake; 04-05-2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should edit my original response to the most logical and sensible response.
The single word NO.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:01 PM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Maybe I should edit my original response to the most logical and sensible response.
The single word NO.
Close. He asked three boolean questions, so it'd be three words... No, yes, no. It's concise, he gets the info he's looking for and it doesn't become lost in some vomit dump of minutiae he didn't ask about. </thread>

PS: My comment wasn't aimed specifically at you.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Pray that a Moderator takes mercy on us and closes this thread. 🙏

steve_k_xk (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Second that ^^^

Old 04-05-2022, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,467 Likes on 816 Posts

Pray that a Moderator takes mercy on us and closes this thread. 🙏
Although to be perfectly fair to the OP, to those that have responded, and to the Moderators, none of us are being forced to read this thread (or any of the others)...

PS. The '92 Series 3 V12 VDP takes 20 - 50, lots of 20 - 50.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mandrake
Close. He asked three boolean questions, so it'd be three words... No, yes, no. It's concise, he gets the info he's looking for and it doesn't become lost in some vomit dump of minutiae he didn't ask about. </thread>

PS: My comment wasn't aimed specifically at you.
No offence taken!
And my suggested revised answer was to the OP's thread title, viz "Should oil change only be done by dealer?" and not to his (or her) other two questions.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:07 AM
Received 431 Likes on 280 Posts

At the end of the day, it's just oil and all these oil discussions are basic stuff to those of us who switched to the exorbitantly expensive new Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the 1970's and extended their oil change intervals to 2x or 3x manufacturer recommendation. 🤣

Richard

Quick Reply: Should oil change only be done by dealer?