XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Side light and Side marker not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Side light and Side marker not working

Hi, I noticed last week that my near side side marker bulb was not working on my 2007 XKR. I didn't even know the car had one, or what the purpose of it might be (in the UK) until I researched it. Checked all other lights (indicator, headlight, turning light, side light) and all okay, so I purchased a replacement and fitted it over the weekend.

Now the new side marker bulb AND the side light are not working in the same near side light cluster.

I've taken off the light cluster a few times now and tried replacing both bulbs with new ones, but I'm unable to get either the near side side light or side marker light to work!

I've checked the fuses, but I think these control the whole light cluster and all other bulbs in the cluster are working (headlight, turning light, indicator, full beam).

I hate to have to make a 1 hour round trip to my nearest dealers simply to have them change a bulb, although I can't image why them changing the bulb would be any more effective than me changing the bulbs!

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Took my Jag to the dealers this morning so they could determine the problem with the bulbs. They said that one of the pins in the main light cluster connection had been pushed in and this was causing the side light and side marker lights not to work.

My confusion with this explanation is that during my first attempt to change the side marker bulb, I did not remove the connector to the light cluster as it was very stiff and I realised I could remove the bulb without disconnecting the whole assembly. After replacing the bulb, the side marker light still didn't work AND the side light stopped working.

On my 2nd attempt I did remove the connection and looked at the pins and they all looked okay to me - I didn't notice any that were bent or not level.

Still, the dealers have fixed it and all bulbs are now working so I'm grateful. It only cost me a £10 and an hours round trip!

Clearly, these cars are far too complicated if it is necessary to take them to the dealers to change light bulbs