XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

How about brake calipers? Those would look awesome in the carbon fiber pattern.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
How about brake calipers? Those would look awesome in the carbon fiber pattern.

There are so many items like automotive, motorcycles, guns, you name it that would look great with this process. The patterns are unlimited and the end user can be very creative with their individual pattern designs.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

I have added a few more photos that are not close ups, so you can get a better idea of how the cover looks. I coated mine today with the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating.

Attached Thumbnails Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-jaguar-parts-hydrographic-printing-001.jpg   Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-jaguar-parts-hydrographic-printing-002.jpg   Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-jaguar-parts-hydrographic-printing-003.jpg   Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-jaguar-parts-hydrographic-printing-004.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Richard, as an aside, if you have marble or granite counter tops in your kitchen, the Black Label Surface Coating is friggen unbelievable on them. They are incredibly shiny, smooth and best, if you spill anything on it, you just use a micro fiber towel dampened with warm water and it lifts even grease right off without any effort. That stuff is amazing. Can hardly wait to apply it to my car when the weather improves. Have you done yours yet?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Richard, as an aside, if you have marble or granite counter tops in your kitchen, the Black Label Surface Coating is friggen unbelievable on them. They are incredibly shiny, smooth and best, if you spill anything on it, you just use a micro fiber towel dampened with warm water and it lifts even grease right off without any effort. That stuff is amazing. Can hardly wait to apply it to my car when the weather improves. Have you done yours yet?
Yes, on my 2014 Porsche Cayman 981...check it out.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...review-112622/

The Glass Coating was awesome......

Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Richard, I see a speck of dust near the oil filler cap. Is this what happens when your get old and lazy?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I have added a few more photos that are not close ups, so you can get a better idea of how the cover looks. I coated mine today with the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating.

Wow!!!!! Really super nice Rich! Thanks for all the great pictures. The other panels would look cool too. Good job being the guinea Pig. Paid off great! Well done.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Do you think the finish would hold up on wheels??? I saw a carbon wheel on a F-type. I bet that's how they did it.

Attached Thumbnails Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-ft.png  

Last edited by hawaii; 03-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaii
Do you think the finish would hold up on wheels??? I saw a carbon wheel on a F-type. I bet that's how they did it.
I have seen several photographics and videos of wheels that have been Hydrographic coated. They do have a clear coat applied over the pattern, so i would think it really depneds on the thickness and hardness of the clear coat.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Syd:

Took your recommendation....did all the granite countertops in the house with the Pinnacle Black Diamond Glass Coating product.....the results were
amazing.

Did the Pinnacle treatment to my Porsche 981.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...review-112622/

Are going to pursue the Hydrographic Coating?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I need one of these!!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Thats looks great with the color of your car!

I've officially gone topless and use my engine cover as art in my office LOL

Attached Thumbnails Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-wp_20140302_19_44_20_pro.jpg  

Last edited by MaximA; 03-03-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Grrr Just went to drop off my engine cover to be dipped in "carbon fiber look", only to be told it cant be done...... The ridges and valleys on the base XK cover are way too deep for the film to enter. In the end I was told it would look like garbage, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it....

Bummed...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
Grrr Just went to drop off my engine cover to be dipped in "carbon fiber look", only to be told it cant be done...... The ridges and valleys on the base XK cover are way too deep for the film to enter. In the end I was told it would look like garbage, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it....

Bummed...
Hard to believe that the Hydrocoater could not do the job. I suggest that you snap a photo (good resolution and a few different angles) and send the photo to Bill at CoolCoatz in Georgia. These guys did my Jag engine cover from a 2009 and another one of LstFords, which I believe was a 2008 and both turned out GREAT.

Cool Coatz Hydrographic Coatings Hoschton Georgia Cool Coats Water Transfer Printing Liquid Printing

I shipped mine from NM and Jim shipped his to Coolcoatz from MI. Turn around time was about 10-14 days from the time it leaves your home.

Cost was $180 to $200 complete.

There are good Hydrocoaters and fair Hydrocoaters. Get a SECOND OPINION. You will be glad you did. The results can be awesome.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Hard to believe that the Hydrocoater could not do the job. I suggest that you snap a photo (good resolution and a few different angles) and send the photo to Bill at CoolCoatz in Georgia. These guys did my Jag engine cover from a 2009 and another one of LstFords, which I believe was a 2008 and both turned out GREAT.

Cool Coatz Hydrographic Coatings Hoschton Georgia Cool Coats Water Transfer Printing Liquid Printing

I shipped mine from NM and Jim shipped his to Coolcoatz from MI. Turn around time was about 10-14 days from the time it leaves your home.

Cost was $180 to $200 complete.

There are good Hydrocoaters and fair Hydrocoaters. Get a SECOND OPINION. You will be glad you did. The results can be awesome.
He talked a good game, and showed me a lot of his work... The problem is that unlike your cover, the grooves in the base XK are almost 3/4" deep... No way for the film to do anything but bridge the gaps.... If you look at the image, that is all one piece even though the center looks removable. Not even feasible unless I just tape off the center and do the surround. Guess I'll get my rims painted instead....

Attached Thumbnails Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-61186a.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks absolutely fantastic. I'd take that over spending $3K for real carbon any day.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

They will also paint the lettering.

Attached Thumbnails Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR-img_20140321_151012_309.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sanorient2
one thing i need to tell you rich this really look likes strong but is it works for long..
Yes, it will hold up for a long period of time. The work is high quality work. The engine cover is not exposed to the elements as it sits under the hood/bonnet. Although it is subject to the elements of heat from the engine, the underside of the engine cover has a heat shield and the Hydrographic coating can withstand heat up to 425 degrees without any deterioation.

The hydrographic coating film also has a clear coat that protects the finish. I cover is not exposed to any type of scratching etc.

So it continues to look as good as the day the work was completed.

Hydrographic coatings have been proven tested and we see so many new applications of this use. It is becoming a great alternative to air brushing many items like racing helmets etc.

I am a believer in this method, and think it's pretty cool. I did alot of research and spoke with many shops before sending my engine cover out for the hydrographic coating. I think I selected the right shop even though it was 1700 miles away from New Mexico.

Last edited by richzak; 06-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

OK, I'm pretty impressed with the results. Good choice!

Old 05-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looks Good To Me

As most of the forum members know I am not one for making modifications to my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible. It is one beautiful luxury automobile built as is. HOWEVER, over the past several weeks there has been talk about engine covers for the XK/XKR/XKR-S models. Most of talk was reference Carbon Fiber. While these carbon fiber engine covers look awesome, I could not consider spending the $3000 to $3300 which seems to be the present cost for these covers. I consider the carbon fiber covers to be a cosmetic enhancement only. They do look cool.

I was also quite interested in learning about a topic which was briefly mentioned on the forum, which was Hydrographic Coatings. So after spending quite a bit of time researching (which I love to do) I felt educated about this process. I then searched via quotes with many different Hydrographic Coating shops for prices to experiment coating my 4.2L engine cover in a Carbon Fiber pattern. I ultimately choose a Silver Carbon Fiber pattern, compared pricing to competitive shops and ultimately sent the engine cover out 3 weeks ago. Today, I received the engine cover back from the shop which is located very near the Road Atlanta Road Race course, in a smaller town close to Braselton, Ga.

The end result was awesome. Before sending the cover I spoke directly with the company to make sure they were whom I wanted to work with.

I have posted photos of the final result. You can compare a real carbon fiber cover to my Hydrographic Coating cover. The major comparison is pricing.....$3000 vs. $180.

Keep in mind that these Hydrographic Coating shops have numerous patterns to choose from. I went Silver Carbon Fiber as my XKR is painted in Shadow Gray which was a special edition color strictly for the 2009 Portfolio Edition.

The cover was thoroughly cleaned by myself before shipping, to remove any oil based or silicone based contaminants. Once the shop received the cover it was sprayed with a "black" base coat, then dipped into the hydrographics water transfer vat. Then dried, and then clear coated to a satin finish.

The results were awesome and shown below. If anyone wishes to know the vendor, please send me a PM and I will advise who I used. I am sold on this process of Hydrographic Coatings and after these results fully endorse the technology, but don't want to endorse any one shop or vendor.

While some may feel this process is "cheap" and does not look good, I will disagree with that thought.

Here is the results. These are just photos and the in person visual results are quite impressive.

Let me know what you think.

Looks good to me. I'll put them on my 2000 XKR! I raced Jaguar for over ten years...we put money into things that went faster. Enuf said.

Quick Reply: Silver Carbon Fiber Engine Cover 4.2L XKR