XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Small garage-need wall protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks everyone on this forum for all your terrific suggestions. Honestly, I thought that this thread would be looked at as being "silly", but you guys were very helpful with your feedback. After giving it much thought, I've decided I am having my home a/c company come down and give me an estimate to rebuild the platform that my air handler sits on. Hopefully, this should give me an additional 8"-10" of width. That will be enough for me to nose in and open my driver's door carefully, (with a thick rug glued to the wall) and get out. Backing in is way too risky as it involves numerous maneuvers once I'm inside. It would only be a matter of time before I hit something. Besides, who wants to always worry everytime they pull their cherished possession into their garage? Once I get the a/c estimates I'm going forward to get it done. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Well it turns out after all the research, my car DOES fit in the garage going in nose first. Prior to actually purchasing my car, I was going by the measurements of the car and my garage which apparently were incorrect. I have enough room to get in and out with approximately one foot from the a/c platform. The a/c guy came by today and can customize the a/c platform giving me enough room to open my driver's door all the way with plenty of room in front and back. I'm good for now anyway, but may go the customize route because I like to have room to move around and not feel cramped. Normal entry into the Jag requires bending somewhat and I don't want any additional restrictions. Temporarily, I have the a/c black 1" pipe insulation on the corner of the platform (for insurance), but I'm fine. One less thing to worry about.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have a 'short' garage with only some 5 inches clearance lengthwise. I nose in; but have a 4inch thick piece of soft foam (cushion innard) against the front wall. My 'trick' is a piece if 2mm wire pierced into the foam with a piece of tape at the top; sort of flag. Once contact is made with the foam, the flag waves and I stop

Old 11-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ejjbee
I also have a 'short' garage with only some 5 inches clearance lengthwise. I nose in; but have a 4inch thick piece of soft foam (cushion innard) against the front wall. My 'trick' is a piece if 2mm wire pierced into the foam with a piece of tape at the top; sort of flag. Once contact is made with the foam, the flag waves and I stop
Sounds similar to the red ball hanging from the ceiling and touching the front windshield when you are at the proper spot.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
I use a 2x4 block on the floor, with a bicycle flag mounted sticking upwards (stuck in a hole drilled center of the board).
When my nose moves the flag pole, I know I'm there!

The following users liked this post:
ejjbee (11-29-2013)